Darwin is there any yak fishing?

This is the main discussion forum.

Darwin is there any yak fishing?

Postby rocky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Territorians,

Does anyone fish out of a yak in the Darwin area where the big lizards don't bite. I am in town for a couple of weeks and have my yak with me, I am also going to get out for a boat fish while here.

Thanks in advance
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback & Yellow Pacer
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Area, Anywhere.
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's Pacer

Re: Darwin is there any yak fishing?

Postby MrPinkie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Pretty much most of the creeks and inlets up there around Darwin have lizards in them. The open areas of the harbour are the best and safest to fish, however there are still crocs out there sometimes too. I haven't fished out of a yak there before but if I were to, I'd probably go off the main points 200-300m, having a go at shallow reef species and small pelagics like Queenies. GT etc. Dudly Pt, East Pt and even off Cullen Bay and the harbour itself all are good hunting grounds which I've had good success off the land, so going further out in a yak should be much better.
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

Postby Pete49 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

was a member here (I think) called Choona chaser. he was based there for a while and used to fish off Lee Point with some great successes. He's now in Townsville I think
Pete49
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing

Postby LODO » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm

If he's in Townsville, I haven't seen or heard of him out on the water. His posts from Darwin were legendary!!! :grin:
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Postby arpie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi Rocky

As Pete49 says - check out Choona Chaser's posts - he had some great success with his yak fishing up there (his posts are here: search.php?author_id=27563&sr=posts)

I believe the big lizards are more aggressive in the wet/stormy season (which should almost be over just now ....) .... but make sure you play safe - maybe message CC for suggestions??

Some fishing tips from another forum: On a run in tide you can fish for milkfish just on the outside of the no fish zone out the front of Doctors Gully fish feeding joint. Use bread and make a floating bread trail that will run down into the no fish zone. This place is full of milk fish.
Use 15lb leader and a thin but strong size 4 hook. We were bending straight Gammy bait holders every time.... Fish a unweighted bread bait sqaushing one end of the bread onto hook and leaving the other end normal. This will keep the bead afloat and the sqaushy bit will hold the hook in the bread. Just drift your baits back into the trail and wait.

We found normal cheap white slice is best for burley and buy 2 loaves of uncut white for bait. Stays on hook heaps better than sliced to.
We got fish to 6kgs and saw fish over 10. I have never seen a spooling so quick and it even got my Branzino C/fibre spool hot to touch after the first run. Best estuary fish I have caught so far for sure!

Check out the main wharf at night. The restaurant at the start has lights in the water until about 10 o'clock. You can see the monsters busting up after the baitfish. I hooked a massive Queenie there that ran me for ever, rubbed me around some pylons , only to bust off about 10 metres away. I hooked other things that I didnt get a chance to see, as I was either bitten off or busted off as soon as it hit the water.

The local guys use the Squidgy slick-rigs in white, or the "glow-in-the-dark" metal slice. I found the slick-rigs only caught Long Toms, nothing else would look at them, though they give a really great fight.
The slices worked best at night, but you need to use at least 40lb mono because the mothers there are big, mean, and fight dirty!

Can't wait to see you hooked up to a big barra!! Also, don't forget those massive Milkfish (you can catch them off the rocks opposite the place where they feed them .....
http://aquascene.com.au/fish-feeding/fi ... ing-times/

Spots for Milkfish (take 6 loaves of white bread with you):

East point, Doctors Gully, larrakeya,Cullen bay rock walls- Berley with bread and wait for em to show up, use 2/0 hooks and 15-30lb mono for trace and make sure your reel has plenty of line and a good drag,

Jump onto this one (join) ....http://fishingterritory.com/

cheers & good luck

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby enjoylife » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Christ Arpie you make me want to go to darwin :lol:
good luck rocky
cheers, dennis :smi:
enjoylife
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: coffs harbour
Kayaks: prowler 13.5 ,adventure island,safari

Postby Digger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:45 am

I've seen schools of Tuna jumping out of the water off the main jetty about 2 casting lengths out!
Digger
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: E.G. to Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Yaks Gone Tinny Now

Postby Pete49 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Lodo I believe he was military and was posted to T'Ville
Pete49
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing

Postby LODO » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 am

That explains it! I'll just have to keep an eye out on the water.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Postby Happyas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:19 am

On the pier near the restaurants ( where fishing is banned) there are milkfish and large trevally jumping on any scraps that may fall over the side. They do travel further down the pier but not too often. When I was there on holiday last August, I saw a kayak paddling out off the shore behind Sky City ( Mindell Beach.)
Happyas
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: South Gippsland

Return to Main