Hobie Mirage drive servicing

This is the main discussion forum.

Hobie Mirage drive servicing

Postby jimmyoc61 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi all

I have put a fair few Km's on my outback over the past few years. I always rinse with fresh water and hit the stainless steal and moving parts with a little Inox after use. I took it out on the weekend and noticed a little squeaky sound. You know how you know every sound and rattle in your car and you hear something different and you immediately become concerned.. Well that was me. more concerned about the niggling noise than enjoying the morning on the water.

Anyway, has anyone had a crack at stripping down the mirage drive to service? Have watched a couple of videos on it - doesn't look too scary but normally when I pull something apart I usually end up with a few parts left over. I figure most stuff is over engineered anyway.

So, if there are any tips, traps or tales about servicing the mirage drive it would great if you could let me know. If there a few out there that want to service the unit we could have ago at doing it together. Just a thought anyway..

thanks in advance
Jim
jimmyoc61
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Canberra
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Re: Hobie Mirage drive servicing

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Piece of cake, and worthwhile doing.

I have a V2 drive and a GlideTech, and both are pretty easy to service. The GlideTech is a little bit more fiddly, because of all the bearing rods.

https://slhobie.com.au/info/faq/296-q-h ... iragedrive

The videos in the link above are for the Glide Tech and the 180... and the article below them is for the V2 drive.

It's not hard and you'll wish you did it sooner.

As far as the squeak goes, I had one in one of my pedal axles.
Don't think they cover the pedals themselves in the services, but its worthwhile popping them off and re-greasing them.
Again, its not hard.

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pm

A link to my first GT drive service... not very informative, but may inspire you to give it a crack.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50557&p=415828&hilit=mirage+service#p415828

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby jimmyoc61 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:11 pm

pdfarrell wrote:A link to my first GT drive service... not very informative, but may inspire you to give it a crack.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50557&p=415828&hilit=mirage+service#p415828

Cheers,
PF

PF - thanks heaps for the time you have put into your responses - much appreciated.

Will definitely give it a crack - just need to pick up marine grease and the 9mm and 12mm dowel.
I'll post again once I get it all back together - next day or two....... hopefully

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&t=51192&p=419491#
Thanks again

Jimmy
jimmyoc61
KFDU Angler

Postby zarbs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:43 pm

I found that the soft mouldable ear plugs a help in keeping the bearings in place on a GT drive.
zarbs
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

Postby jimmyoc61 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:57 pm

zarbs wrote:I found that the soft mouldable ear plugs a help in keeping the bearings in place on a GT drive.

Thanks Zards - my wife has a bag of those. I have no idea why though!!
jimmyoc61
KFDU Angler

Postby Paulioq » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 am

11mm spanner and a folding multi alen key tool is all you need or just drop it of to hobie and they can do it for you. only things to look out for is the bearings as covered with the ear plugs make sure the chains are centered on the cogs and that the middle tooth is pushed fully on so the chain doesn't ride up on the teeth. and cable tension shouldn't be to tight if you squezze them I let mine deflect about 5mm befor they feel tight and feels good with out going to hard on your cables and causeing other problems and premature wear
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum

Return to Main