Sounder size..is there a such a thing as too big.?

This is the main discussion forum.

Sounder size..is there a such a thing as too big.?

Postby Kimall » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:55 pm

So with failing eyes and the need of a new sounder with side scan I wanted to ask if anyone has put a fish finder on a yak and found it too big. I am thinking 7 or 9 inch because the 4 and 5 inch screens are just not big enough for me too see. Also with all the extra info with the different views bigger will be better. Its going on a Hobbie PA12. Done a search but no answer to this question..
Cheers KIM
Kimall
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba

Re: Sounder size..is there a such a thing as too big.?

Postby allane » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 pm

A 7 inch Humminbird or equivalent would be a nice addition on a kayak. I have a 5 inch side scan and then purchased a 7 inch which is way better. But as you say how big do you need. How big is your wallet. :beye:
Yak PBs: Bream 38cm FL, Bass 46cm FL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Flathead 61cm, Whiting 43cm, Luderick 41cm, Silver Trevally 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm
allane
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Woolgoolga
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Feelfree Nomad, Feelfree Move.

Postby Nativeman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 pm

9 inch on my Hobie Compass
Sel
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: the planet

Postby zarbs » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 pm

I thought size didn't matter? Just coz the sounders bigger dont mean the fish are :grin:
zarbs
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

Postby laneends » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Thats a lot of $$ at risk, I know they are supposed to be waterproof but a kayak is a far rougher environment than a boat.

I would think a huge sounder would just get in the way.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby Kimall » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks guys for taking the time to comment. I know bling dont mean a thing when it comes to catching fish but I cant even make out structure on the smaller units.
I have a hobbie pa12 so plenty of room as far as a yak goes and am really looking hard at the new Lowrance Hook2 7 or 9 in the triple shot. I know it is a lot of money
to put on the yak but I would rather pay that little bit more and get one that I am SUPER happy with. Keep the comments coming and if anyone has played with the new
hook 2 triple shot please comment. Nativeman what model did you go with and how you find it.?
Cheers KIM
Kimall
KFDU Angler

Postby Nativeman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:13 am

Kim about this time last year, I bought a a Garmin 95SV on a run out special for $ 899 for my boat. This was the pre chirp model.I can honestly say that the sounder alone has helped improve my catch rate.

Before I bought this unit I had been boat fishing a lot with a friend who has a Hummingbird Helix 10 in his boat and I was amazed at the ability for his sounder to map the bottom of every waterway we fished. Instead of years of thought where you were guessing where the drop offs, channels and flats were, this sounder did all that and more and extremely accurately.

I thought wow Id love to get into a Helix 10, but they are extremely expensive.

So after some research I found that Garmin had the same technology, I called my local Garmin supplier and they told me they had the 95SV's coming in as a run out special.

The Garmin that I bought has a feature called Quickdraw and it works almost identical as the Helix 10. Quickdraw does just that, it draws out the bottom of the water you are fishing in contours of 1 foot and live while you are there and saves them onto a SD card. The contours can be set at different colours. So for example, I set 0 - 15 foot brown,15 foot to 25 green, 25 to 40 light blue and 40 feet plus dark blue. So if you map a hole square or say a small inlet and after going over every piece of the water area, it show you where the channels are, the drop offs, the flats and so on.

As well as Quick draw, this sounder has down imaging, side imaging, full Australian blue charts and more, oh and a 9 inch screen. So why is it on my Compass, I fish other places where I would love to know whats underneath the water. The Compass has built in side traks right on the edge of the hull, I purchased an extra transducer, power lead and bracket for a super sweet price of $250, Bought a Transducer adaptor for the large transducer from Berley Pro to suit the Hobie Transducer ready system and a large C size ram arm and its placed on the RHS of the Compass, I have added a leash to the head unit of the Garmin just in case it pops out and falls into the water. Now you can only get the Chirp 95SV, but if you look around you can find them cheaper than other places. North Side Marine in Brisbane would be a good place to start.
Sel
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: the planet

Postby GlassedOff » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am

I have a 7inch Garmin with sidescan on a stealth evo 495 :wink:
GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

Postby Jigglin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 pm

At the bream comps you see a few yaks running 12inch screens, not sure if they are trying to compensate for some thing, but they do look impressive :wink: . I run a 5 inch, but if I were to purchase one again, it would be a 7 or 9.
Jigglin
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: NW Slayer Propel 13 & 10

Postby Charles 1960 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 pm

I like the look of the latest Garmins for my boat however they draw a lot more current than the previous models, even the Hook 2 7'' draws a full amp so the size of your battery becomes a consideration.
Charles 1960
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney,Central West,Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Jackson Kilroy , Scamp

Postby Paulioq » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 am

have a look at the simrad sounders I got a go5 and think its brilliant. thought it was bit much when I bought it but after using it for 12months think having a combo sounder/plotter is tip top. on the go5 you can only have 2 screens open at a time not a problem because I only use plotter and side scan in creeks and trolling or plotter and sounder when reef fishing but on the 7inch models you can have all open at the same time but they will be smaller to look at after it splits the screen. not sure about those hook modles I was going to get one but the trancducer you get is a bit average, the total scan trancducer you get with simrad go or lowrance elite are pretty good and is the same tranducer there higher end units use
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum

Postby nobrandbali » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:28 am

in the past 3 years I never use sounder for fishing around swr and still catching spotty, now I just use 4 inch lowrance sounder, it much easier catching bait and identified fish
nobrandbali
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wamberal, central coast, NSW
Kayaks: Evo 495

Postby Kimall » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks again too all those that have taken the time to comment. NM they price on those units is a bit more then the Lowrance and Lowrance
also has the bottom mapping with access to maps from thousands of other users too. I checked Somerset just to see how it works and the detail
coverage is sensational. I am waiting on a quote now from the local shop on either the Elite-9 Ti or the 9 inch hook triple shot.
I will do a detail review when it is on the water.
Cheers KIM
Kimall
KFDU Angler

Postby Paulioq » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:14 pm

get the elite 9. yeah the simrad is a touch more I got my go5 for the same price as an elite5 because they were out of stock on the elites at the time. there the same manufacturer and parent company just has a different screen(low glare) and 2 year warranty. the interface is the same for both units. make sure you use tined wire for your electrics and spade bits straight onto a battery with the fuse on the power positive of course. I have had troubles with corroded electrics already after only a year of use. have redone the cableing and stuck it to the underside of the inside of the hull so it doesn't lay in the water. but youll probably be right in fresh water
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum

Postby PeterInSa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm

A few years ago bought a big screen Raymarine Fish Finder/Chart Plotter (does everything but make coffee) for our 1/2 Cabin Boat for $2K++ I am wary now of the unit going missing when the boat is unattended in the water/overnighting on a trip, ( insurance helps but will not cover a replacement) and agree it could be costly if on a Yak and it goes for a swim.
PeterInSa
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: SA

Return to Main