eBay Kayak Beach Trolley - Who here has tried them?

This is the main discussion forum.

eBay Kayak Beach Trolley - Who here has tried them?

Postby Blaaahkey » Mon May 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Hey guys,

As the subject heading states, I'm looking at getting a set and seeing as they are a 1/3 of the price of the WheelEEZ®, I thought id ask if anyone has tried them and what their thoughts are.

Obviously given the price factor, one would imagine that they are going to be nothing like the WheelEEZ®, but I'm just interested to hear from the people who have given them a crack.

ebay version - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foldable-Collapsible-Kayak-Beach-Trolley-Cart-Wheels-Alloy-Strap-Budtrol/322114772112?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
WheelEEZ® - https://beachwheelsaustralia.com/product/the-kayak-cart-beach-by-wheeleez/

Edit - This is for a stealth, probably should have mentioned that lol

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Blaaahkey on Mon May 14, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Blake
Blaaahkey
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460, Moken 14

Re: eBay Kayak Beach Trolley - Who here has tried them?

Postby fifis101 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 pm

I have used one the same but it had normal tires and not the beach ones. I have to say that I only used it once before throwing it in the shed and then selling it a couple of years later. My kayak didn't sit on it very well and the straps didn't help that much either. I was warned in advance and I still bought it because it was cheap and I thought I could make it work but it ended up being crap like I was told and I just ended up losing money on it. I really think a scupper hole cart it the best option.

In regards to comparing the WheelEEZ branded one to the eBay one, I bet they would be not much difference between them at all.
fifis101
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 11, Dream Kayaks Dream Catcher 2

Postby Paulioq » Mon May 14, 2018 5:55 pm

i just picked up a sandtrakz ctug for my pa14 and its great has flat pads to sit the yak on and can handle 80kg. according to there website is easyer to drag then sand wheels(cant confirm myself never tried beach wheels but it seems ok) and cheaper then anything with sand wheels on it also those cheap carts do some awful scupper damage theres heaps of videos on youtube showing it
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14

Postby laneends » Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 pm

TBH having a fully loaded kayak half way down the beach with a collapsed trolley, or slipping off hauling up a track soon teaches you that there's carts and there are bcarts. Sooner or later you are going to end up with a good one, so you may as well save money and start with a good one. It is too easy to underestimate the weight of a fully loaded fishing kayak.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby johnt » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

fifis101 wrote:I have used one the same but it had normal tires and not the beach ones. I have to say that I only used it once before throwing it in the shed and then selling it a couple of years later. My kayak didn't sit on it very well and the straps didn't help that much either. I was warned in advance and I still bought it because it was cheap and I thought I could make it work but it ended up being crap like I was told and I just ended up losing money on it. I really think a scupper hole cart it the best option.

In regards to comparing the WheelEEZ branded one to the eBay one, I bet they would be not much difference between them at all.

I have to agree I bought a WheelEEZ to use with an AI. It lasted about 3 uses before the AI crushed it. The pieces have sat on the floor in my shed for about 2 years with the dream of rebuilding it, but probably the only thing worth salvaging are the wheels. Think they would be great for a light kayak on a beach, but if it's light why not just carry it?
Member of

johnt
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: Revo, AI, Sport and Barracuda Ultra Light

Postby Edstar » Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 am

I’ve got a stealth and eBay sand wheels. I think brand was sandwalker or sandtraks. They are a small frame. It would suit a stealth but not fat yaks.
Wheels were smaller ones. They do the job but there’s fatter/bigger wheels that would do it better. I would see if eBay has the large wheel version, because it is for sand and it still a bit of drag through the very soft stuff. And after U fill ur hatch with fish ur yak is twice as heavy and it’s still hard work :lol:
Hope that helps.
Edstar.
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby LODO » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am

That old phrase ... "the poor man pays twice" is ringing loud in my ears.

I tried c-tug and various other iterations of beach wheels until I decided to fork out for the Wheel Eez cart from Dennis at Stealth. I used it for my EVO465 and then my ProFisha 525. In Townsville, we have to drag over rough thorny ground and steep inclines (big tides) and very soft sand. The WheelEez cart is absolutely amazing.

I had a puncture once on it (remember to keep the tyres SOFT). But the fix was simple, I heated a stanley knife blade with a lighter, and just smudged the rubber back over the miniscule hole. Then I bought some of that puncture goop and never had another problem.

I own a Tandem Island now ... so now I'm stuck to boat ramps for the long term until I can save up $700 for the beach cart for that beast!

WheelEez all the way in my opinion.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Postby Marty75 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 pm

+1 for the Ctug sandtrakz.

I used to use just the Ctug hard wheels with the sidewinder attachments but they were crap.
Purchased a set of sandtrakz wheels and took the sidewinder attachment off the hard wheels.

If I'm only on hard ground I use the hard wheels but if sand is involved, the sandtrakz are great and take up less space in the car/shed/garage than the inflatable wheels with no chance of puncturing.

Check out the Sandtrakz on YouTube.

Marty
Marty75
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11, Prowler Ultra 4.3

Postby LODO » Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 am

I guess that's the thing, if you're using a beautiful light yak like the Stealth .. .sorry Ski! :) then the C-Tug SandTrax would be the way to go. Cheaper option, they pull apart easy enough as well.

Having the Tandem Island, has anyone ever used the SandTrax doubled up under a TI?

Like I said, it'll cost me $800 (including transport) to get a hobie kart up to Townsville. It'll cost me half of that to get two lots of c-tug sandtrax.

That being said ... I'm still not keen on forking out $3-400 to then realise I should have spent the $800.

Cheers
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Blaaahkey » Wed May 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for the reply guys!!

After reading your comments and doing a bit more research, I think ill have to give the sandtrakz a crack, I just cant justify the cost of the wheeleez, I'm sure they are great, but its a lot of money, plus I don't have to travel a great distance over the sand.

After paddling for a few hours, even the ultra light stealth loaded with gear, gets a little heavy to throw up on the shoulder at the end of a session lol

Thanks to all who responded.
Cheers
Blake
Blaaahkey
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460, Moken 14

Postby tonystott » Sun May 20, 2018 1:12 am

LODO wrote:I guess that's the thing, if you're using a beautiful light yak like the Stealth .. .sorry Ski! :) then the C-Tug SandTrax would be the way to go. Cheaper option, they pull apart easy enough as well.

Having the Tandem Island, has anyone ever used the SandTrax doubled up under a TI?

Like I said, it'll cost me $800 (including transport) to get a hobie kart up to Townsville. It'll cost me half of that to get two lots of c-tug sandtrax.

That being said ... I'm still not keen on forking out $3-400 to then realise I should have spent the $800.

Cheers

Stringy over on the Hobie forum has done extensive experimetrs and has even made a four Sandtrax C-Tug trolley, and it works a treat
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby LODO » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am

I might have to look for this Hobie Forum ... I've found some FB pages, but not a forum.

Will be interested to have a look.

Thanks
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Foghorn » Tue May 22, 2018 6:07 pm

Bay Sports have one for $89, fits into scuppers, may need tennis balls on shafts though, still cheap.
Foghorn
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW

Postby tonystott » Thu May 24, 2018 8:44 am

LODO wrote:I might have to look for this Hobie Forum ... I've found some FB pages, but not a forum.

Will be interested to have a look.

Thanks

Go to https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/viewforum.php?f=71
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Return to Main