Watersnake T18 Electric outboards

This is the main discussion forum.
TubeoGlue
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Victoria
Kayaks: I actually have a canoe, hope that doesn't get me banned instantly

Watersnake T18 Electric outboards

#1 Post by TubeoGlue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:43 pm

I notice that there seems to be a few of these on ebay that are refurbished and sold as new or in some cases used items. I'm assuming that there may be a few of these that have problems after there sold. Has anyone had problems with these as I don't want to buy an unreliable motor.
I also notice that there are two models, one is labeled SW and the other is FW for I also assume is Salt Water and Fresh Water. The sales pitch says to just rinse with fresh water after use in salt water so I'm wondering if there is any difference between the two.
Tubeoglue

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Watersnake T18 Electric outboards

#2 Post by Dodge » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Suggest you look at the 24lb Watersnake as as it has a built in tilt mechanism ......the 18lb has no tilt ..... weight is similar

I have a white 18lb Snake and use it both freshwater or salt, if used in salt just give it a spray of freshwater at home.

All mates are using white WaterSnakes 18 and 24s with no problems, personally think black ones might be other brands

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44392
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

TubeoGlue
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by TubeoGlue » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks Dodge for pointing out the lack of the tilt on the T18. I can 't believe that I had completely overlooked that.
I intent to fit a varable speed controller on it so it should be ok on the T24. I,m kicking myself now for selling the old Shakespeare 15lb thrust that I had back in the 90s when I upgraded to a Mercury T28 which I still have but it's very heavy at 7.6 kilos and I feel it's way too heavy for my rig now. It's fine of course on my 12ft tinny.
Tubeoglue

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#4 Post by Dodge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm

TubeoGlue wrote: I intent to fit a varable speed controller on it so it should be ok on the T24.
Mate top cover of 18 and 24 Snakes are same dimensions.

This is method we used on speed controller using a single knob .......jumaji uses in his 24lb, and me on 18lb

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50744
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

TubeoGlue
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by TubeoGlue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:51 pm

I've just ordered a T24 Watersnake and I bought a speed controller from ebay. The speed controller must be on a slow boat from China as it's due for delivery on 31st of July.
I want to have the speed controller next to me remotely wired to the outboard. I hope this is not too big of a problem but will see when the wiring circuit arrives with the controller.
Tubeoglue

AshG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: 3m Dream Kayak Werewolf, 5.1m Ocean Kayak

#6 Post by AshG » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 pm

TubeoGlue wrote:I've just ordered a T24 Watersnake and I bought a speed controller from ebay. The speed controller must be on a slow boat from China as it's due for delivery on 31st of July.
I want to have the speed controller next to me remotely wired to the outboard. I hope this is not too big of a problem but will see when the wiring circuit arrives with the controller.
Tubeoglue

The speed controllers are simple.
Two wires in, two wires out.
Just run neg and pos from battery into controller, then neg and pos come out of controller to motor.
Turn motor on full speed, and control actual speed with the controller. (PWM)

Return to “Main”