Moderating Controversial Topics

This is the main discussion forum.

Moderating Controversial Topics

Postby Leper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm

I haven't got the time to be writing this so I will make it brief to all and sundry. When controversial topics come up there are members incapable of not letting it get personal and EVERY time these threads begin we try to let the opinions flow. Initially when these threads began the mods spent an inordinate amount of time doing the nice thing and trying to leave posts intact and editing out the inappropriate sections. Some days as you moderated one post three more retaliatory posts would arrive and we simply could not keep up! Then we began deleting whole posts and writing polite PMs to the offenders. This resulted in debates via PM as well as trying to moderate the thread.

To be honest theses thread pose no solutions, do not sway opinions and are just a means for unnecessary aggravated and frustrated opinion which by the end of the thread has proven and solved nothing! The only thing it does is stop people writing trip reports for fear of attack from opinionated keyboard cowboys who have no idea how to educate others.

Does anyone really think that by posting threads like this that you do your cause any good!! The frustrating thing is many of the topics that come up are things that I believe in and I like to try and educate others on based on mutual respect and often scientific literature. These sorts of threads make all passionate bass fisherman look like extremists and set us apart from the fishing community!! No wonder no-one will listen to what we have to say!!

So watch how long it takes this thread to disappear!!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Re: why do non offencesive posts get deleted

Postby Yakfisher71 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Leper wrote:The only thing it does is stop people writing trip reports for fear of attack from opinionated keyboard cowboys who have no idea how to educate others.

hi Brad

Mate just want you to know some of us really do appreciate the work the KFDU staff put in. KFDU is my first stop in the morning with a cuppa and I personally would hate to see people refrain from posting trip reports for fear of criticism. As someone new to kayak fishing the reports are something I look for as most of the time I learn quite a bit and pick up heaps of new tips.

Anyway mate,just wanted to say keep up the good work! :gu:
Phil

Yakfisher71 aka "The Fish Whisperer" :cool:
Yakfisher71
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: North west NSW
Kayaks: Riot escape 12

Re: Moderating Controversial Topics

Postby WayneD » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 pm

StevenM's post count would be twice as much as it currently is if he didn't get moderated so much :lol:

Keep up the good work Mods. I don't care what gets deleted. Sometimes I say what I think, other times I bite my keyboard. If it gets deleted so be it. Bigger things in life to worry about than what happens on an internet forum...
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10
WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Postby hillbilly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Well said Brad.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby waterbaby1972 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:26 pm

keep up the good work Mods, without you we'd all be buggered on the forum and it wouldn't be the great community it is. No need for aggravation in this already aggro world, and I would probably stop visiting the forum if it were to be like that. We all have opinions and we need to remember we are all entitled to them, and perhaps consider where the other person is coming from if it differs from your own point of view. But geez... if that happened, maybe there would be world peace :cool2: and then where would we all be :idiot:
Don't get disheartened Leper... we value your work and that of the other Mods
Cheers to you guys
Jody
waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden, NSW and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Sport

Postby qldfisho » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 pm

i just wanna say a special thanks to Leper beucase he voiced his opinion reasonably without getting upset or angry. And disvoled the issue before it got any worse then it did.

Thank you Leper and thank you KFDU
qldfisho
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is a puddle
Kayaks: Malibu

Postby MrFaulty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm

That's fair enough but you say you PM the offenders - I had a recent post moderated and unfortunately I did not see what was posted after I started the thread (which was not intended to start a fight but to get peoples opinions on the use of lip grips). I don't count myself as an offender and if you check the initial post you may or may not agree with me.

However, I can appreciate that you guys spend a lot of time and energy moderating; may I suggets in the spirit of free speach that you don't remove a thread unless it's intentionally inflamatory but maybe a three strike rule whereby if you are viewed as an agressor 3 times you are red flagged for a period of 3 months (or something along those lines). I am sure this will make people think carefully abut what they write.

Now I have to hope that this hasn't offended anyone and I don't get moderated - where's my horse :lol:
MrFaulty
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle

Postby Leper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:56 pm

MrFaulty wrote:That's fair enough but you say you PM the offenders - I had a recent post moderated and unfortunately I did not see what was posted after I started the thread (which was not intended to start a fight but to get peoples opinions on the use of lip grips). I don't count myself as an offender and if you check the initial post you may or may not agree with me.

However, I can appreciate that you guys spend a lot of time and energy moderating; may I suggets in the spirit of free speach that you don't remove a thread unless it's intentionally inflamatory but maybe a three strike rule whereby if you are viewed as an agressor 3 times you are red flagged for a period of 3 months (or something along those lines). I am sure this will make people think carefully abut what they write.

Now I have to hope that this hasn't offended anyone and I don't get moderated - where's my horse :lol:

No offense taken. In that particular case the topic of lip grippers had already been discussed and blown up a few weeks earlier for that exact reason. If I remember correctly I responded to the thread and made the warning that if it deteriorated it would be deleted quickly. I actually wrote a researched response backed with scientific evidence and took a lot of time to write it! I was as disappointed as you to see the post vanish! :cry: , however I understood the reasons for its disappearance.

I will discuss your three strikes suggestion with the mods however with a membership base as high as ours it would be hard to keep track of each members "strikes".

I wouldn't call the people who post this threads as agressors and as inflamatory as such and all of us would regard the threads as well intentioned. it is just very hard to moderate sometimes when they spiral out of control. Its hard to modify/delete a post then PM the offender while other inappropriate posts are occurring on the thread while you are responding to the first offender. etc etc

The bigger issue is post hijacking in which the mods have agreed not to waste a PM. A response to a trip report is either positive or encouraging or no post at all. Any constructive criticism should be via PM and phrased as advice. Up to the member whether they chose to agree or politely disagree.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Postby Ozzybass » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

I understand! I am however very disappointed that the whole thread disappeared as I also put in considerable thought and time in writing my response. Why delete the post since you've already locked it earlier in the day? I hope what i posted was not the reason it was deleted?
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Postby MattoTarpon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi All, I could not agree more with what everyone is saying. And if ''offenders'' are to be rude on borderline bully tell them to read this topic and wake up to themself. :wink: This site is all about what we all love so much fishing and kayaking and i know thats all i would like to talk about without feeling like i am being bullied so hats off to you Leper for starting this topic mayby all of us will think twice before typing now. Cheers Matto
Bass - 52cm
Mary River Cod 69cm my dream catch.
Flathead - 64cm Yellowbelly - 54cm
Bream - 38cm Silver Perch - 44cm
Saratoga - 74cm Flounder - 33cm
Whiting - 27cm

ITS A GODDAMN SHARKNADO!!!!!
MattoTarpon
KFDU 3000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere There Is Bass
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13 , WS Aspire 105.

Postby Leper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Ozzybass wrote:I understand! I am however very disappointed that the whole thread disappeared as I also put in considerable thought and time in writing my response. Why delete the post since you've already locked it earlier in the day? I hope what i posted was not the reason it was deleted?

Not at all the original writer of the thread asked for it to be deleted as is his right and thus with sadness I agreed to his request. Apologies if this upset anyone!
Brad

ImageImage

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Postby StevenM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:55 pm

WayneD wrote:StevenM's post count would be twice as much as it currently is if he didn't get moderated so much :lol:

There goes a heap more :roll:

No wonder I just got to the 1000 club :egrin:

and with that I never got a congrats and well done mate. :grr:

Look I even needed to throw smily things into this post to get my smilly count up :blah: :lol: :wink:

Logan and Albert Fish Management Association
http://www.facebook.com/lafma

Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association
http://www.facebook.com/SomersetWivenhoeFishStocking
StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 100, Hobie Quest 11,,Hobie PA & Tinny

Postby StevenM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Leper wrote:
So watch how long it takes this thread to disappear!!

I dont have to watch Brad, My post count just keeps going down

So with this topic I think I am back to even. :cool2: :tong:

Logan and Albert Fish Management Association
http://www.facebook.com/lafma

Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association
http://www.facebook.com/SomersetWivenhoeFishStocking
StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 100, Hobie Quest 11,,Hobie PA & Tinny

Postby Leper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:59 pm

StevenM wrote:I dont have to watch Brad, My post count just keeps going down

So with this topic I think I am back to even. :cool2: :tong:

Your post count should have been frozen at 666!!! :devil:
Brad

ImageImage

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Postby mcnphoto » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm

You cant please everyone mate and i know the work involved in moderating dont let it get under your skin its very easy to have an opinion when we all hide behind nicknames and a cloak of invisability. This is one of the nicest forum i have come accross, I belong to an airbrush forum that is really out of control at the moment and its loosing members hand over fist given that kfdu's membership is still growing it speaks volumes about the post quality and moderation, with forums being a dime a dozen people are becoming selective about joining so you guy and the community here are in good shape. The worst forums i have found are I T and camera forums.
mcnphoto
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast (Old Bar)
Kayaks: Viking Tempo

Next

Return to Main