Another 20+kilometre paddle

This is the main discussion forum.
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Another 20+kilometre paddle

#1 Post by Plakkyboat » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Nigel, I 'm blaming you for this 'long distance paddling bug' I seem to have caught.
As a result I've recently set a personal goal to repeat my (solo) efforts by doing a 20 klms + paddle at least once a month.

I've tried trolling on these long paddles without success, so I've decided to focus on just paddling on these particular trips.
Also I wear a Garmin Heart Rate (HR) and GPS watch and manage to keep the old ticker running at 75% to 100% of maximum beats per minute (for my age) during the entire time.
P.S. My current age at the start of this post is 61 years young.... :wink:

Below are the results of my last two (approx) half marathons.
Hope this inspires other motivated paddlers to do similar.

Some stats:

Date............Distance.......Average Speed.......Max Speed............Time.............Area Type
29 July..........22.20 klms......6.0 klms..............12.0 klms...........3hrs 43min.......River & Ocean
31 August......20.23 klms......5.9 klms..............10.7 klms...........3hrs 27min...........Ocean
GarminGPSMap29July2016.jpg
GarminGPSMap31Aug2016.jpg
My Beast.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

richo23
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 Hobie Quest 11 Mirage 583 Freeride

Re: Another 20+kilometre paddle

#2 Post by richo23 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Top effort there Paul, once you start paddling it just seems to all come together and becomes really enjoyable doesn't it !
Must be something to do with the age group as I am of the same vintage and regularly paddle 10-15 kays for enjoyment.
I don't take a rod with me on my paddles, just enjoy the scenery and wildlife here in the Bay.
I would like to catch up for a paddle in the near future if you're keen as I haven't paddled around Bundy but I am planning a trip over to Fraser and up to Wathumba in the coming month or so while the weather isn't too hot and the whales are still around.
Cheers , Richo.

PA Pete
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

#3 Post by PA Pete » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:05 pm

Great effort Paul!!
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by Plakkyboat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks guys.
Yeah Richo, we might be able to tee up a time to paddle one of my local rivers if you like.
If the weather is okay, an ocean paddle might be on the cards instead.
I'm about to reshuffle my daily life activities this month, so will make contact once it's settled.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#5 Post by Plakkyboat » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:21 pm

My September goal has been met.

26.02 Kilometres in 4 hours 40 minutes paddle time plus 11 minutes total rest/eat/drink time.
Approx. 2 hours to reach the turn around mark assisted by strong winds and tidal current. Flying !
Approx. 2 hours 40 minutes for the return journey against the tide and strong winds. Crawling !
GarminGPSMap13Sept2016.jpg
Some stats:

Date..............Distance.......Average Speed.......Max Speed............Time.............Area Type
13 Sept..........26.02 klms..........5.6 klms............8.8 klms.........4hrs 40min...........River

Hoping again that my efforts inspire others with a passion to not only fish but enjoy longer paddles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul

gbc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane or Hervey Bay

#6 Post by gbc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey richo, if you plan your paddle around the 15th to the 20th of October I'll be camped at Coongul for the week so we can look out for you and have a bbq. I'll also have a vehicle and radio which is always nice. I'll be taking the paddleyak rather than the sea kayak too.

pavo
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

#7 Post by pavo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:37 am

Top effort Ricoh
I surpose if you don't take a rod with you, you can concentrate on your paddle style.

Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra, Stellar & Fenn Surfskis, Vajda K1

#8 Post by Slick Mick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Well done Ricoh.

Completed the Myall Classic Ultramarathon on Saturday Tea Gardens to 13.5km turning point up the Myall River and back. 27km all up in 3:05:23 with no breaks in a 25kg Mirage 580 Sea Kayak. Average speed 8.8kph and highest speed 11.4kph.

Got into paddling long distances when I bought my Pro Fisha 575. It's addictive and got me into marathon racing and joining the Sutherland Shire Canoe Club. Also have a Vajda K1 racing kayak and Stellar Surf Ski.

Since I am planning on getting into glass again Stealth Fisha anyone got any ideas on what a 2015 Revolution 13 Dune (Vantage seat and new fin system etc), AMAS/Sidekick, Sail Kit, Lowrance 4X Chirp and sand wheel kit is worth?

Will be going on the market soon.

Mick
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#9 Post by Plakkyboat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:30 pm

This somewhat comical error is getting a life of its own. :?:

It appears to me that earlier on, GBC has unintentionally confused both Pavo and Slick Mick about who they attempting to reply to in this post.

GBC was trying to tee up a paddle with Richo in Hervey Bay (within this post) instead of sending him a PM (personal message).
Then Pavo missed what GBC's post was about and he thought Richo was the original 'poster' here.
Pavo referred to me as "Ricoh" (mispelled Richo) instead of "Paul".
Now, Slick Mick has run with it and also refered to me as "Ricoh". :?:
Ironically "Ricoh" is a brand name for a digital camera and office equipment manufacturer. :grin:

Anyways guys, thanks for your comments and hopefully the next person will get it right.... :wink: :lol:
Cheers -- Paul

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by Plakkyboat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Slick Mick wrote:Well done Ricoh.

Completed the Myall Classic Ultramarathon on Saturday Tea Gardens to 13.5km turning point up the Myall River and back. 27km all up in 3:05:23 with no breaks in a 25kg Mirage 580 Sea Kayak. Average speed 8.8kph and highest speed 11.4kph.

Got into paddling long distances when I bought my Pro Fisha 575. It's addictive and got me into marathon racing and joining the Sutherland Shire Canoe Club. Also have a Vajda K1 racing kayak and Stellar Surf Ski.

Since I am planning on getting into glass again Stealth Fisha anyone got any ideas on what a 2015 Revolution 13 Dune (Vantage seat and new fin system etc), AMAS/Sidekick, Sail Kit, Lowrance 4X Chirp and sand wheel kit is worth?

Will be going on the market soon.

Mick
Hi Mick,

Well done on your marathon race on Saturday.

Your very impressive times have my greatest respect. "No breaks" sounds a bit cruel from my perspective but I guess it's part of racing.
I can truly appreciate what it takes to just go the distance even though I haven't achieved and couldn't achieve such a blistering pace.

Unfortunately I would not rate anywhere note-worthy in a marathon race. I know my old bones and other bits would not be able to hack that pace.
The 26 klm post I put up here has made me realise I should stick closer to the 20 klm mark in order to recover in a reasonable time.
My cardio fitness is off the charts 'good' for my age but my old bones and joints simply aren't able to keep up to my ticker's great condition.

Glass is so addictive isn't it ?
Good luck with your Revo sale.
Cheers -- Paul

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#11 Post by arpie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:32 pm

....This somewhat comical error is getting a life of its own........

hahaha, Paul ..... that happens sometimes, eh?

WELL DONE on a few marathon efforts! I am in awe of you! Yes, Nigel seems to have started something - I guess once you start, you just get into the rhythm of things & the time just flies .....

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club

#12 Post by Slick Mick » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Haha... Cheers Paul.

Yes, this marathon thing gets addictive. Last race of the season down in Wagga Wagga this weekend on Lake Albert. The old Bidgee is in flood so that's off the agenda.

Speaking with Dennis T last week, the one thing I really miss since I got rid of my Pro Fisha 575 was the scream of the reel when you are paddling with the swell and some large pelagic whacks your lure. You have all seen YouTube footage of the same. That's why I want to get back into glass, combines both my passions. BTW I just turned 60 and one of my main club competitors is 84!

Anyway, no bites on the Revo as of yet. Perhaps I am asking too much? Will see how it goes.

Regards,

Mick

My "fast" glass :cool:
Vajda Small.JPG
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#13 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Slick Mick wrote:Haha... Cheers Paul.

Yes, this marathon thing gets addictive. Last race of the season down in Wagga Wagga this weekend on Lake Albert. The old Bidgee is in flood so that's off the agenda.

Speaking with Dennis T last week, the one thing I really miss since I got rid of my Pro Fisha 575 was the scream of the reel when you are paddling with the swell and some large pelagic whacks your lure. You have all seen YouTube footage of the same. That's why I want to get back into glass, combines both my passions. BTW I just turned 60 and one of my main club competitors is 84!

Anyway, no bites on the Revo as of yet. Perhaps I am asking too much? Will see how it goes.

Regards,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Those floods down there are a worry. Smart move to not race in those conditions.

Welcome to the 60+ club. Been there a couple of years now and loving living it every day.
In fact, living life to the fullest possible extent possible has become an even greater priority for me now that so many I know that haven't made it this far or much beyond.

That glass machine of yours must really get along. That explains the stats you posted here. I will never reach those speed in my fishing vessel but at least it's faster than most plastics and a lot more versatile in design than most.
Also I don't use a spoon shaped paddle, just a less concaved but super light touring paddle does the trick for me albeit much slower. Also I carry a fair bit of extra gear including 4 litres of water and my wheels behind my seat.

Great to read you are putting in such big efforts and amazing to hear that an 84 year old paddler is still holding his own against a 60 year old spring chicken like yourself....

I can tell you're champing at the bit to get back into a glass fishing ski. Have you had any nibbles at the Revo sale yet ?
Cheers -- Paul

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#14 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:10 pm

arpie wrote:....This somewhat comical error is getting a life of its own........

hahaha, Paul ..... that happens sometimes, eh?

WELL DONE on a few marathon efforts! I am in awe of you! Yes, Nigel seems to have started something - I guess once you start, you just get into the rhythm of things & the time just flies .....

cheers

Roberta
Hi Roberta,

Thanks for your kind comments about my marathon efforts (thus far). I am starting to have to force myself to balance the long paddle excursions with some fishing outings as well.
The long paddle can be so addictive not unlike the distance running I did for decades before my knees went permanently on strike (for running).
Maybe one day I'll get a super fast ski or SIK like Slick Mick has shown us here in this post. Until then I more than happy to continue enjoying the best of both worlds with my Kaskazi fishing ski.
Cheers -- Paul

Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club

#15 Post by Slick Mick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:27 pm

[/quote]Great to read you are putting in such big efforts and amazing to hear that an 84 year old paddler is still holding his own against a 60 year old spring chicken like yourself....

I can tell you're champing at the bit to get back into a glass fishing ski. Have you had any nibbles at the Revo sale yet ?[/quote]

Hi Paul

Got a fourth placing in my division last weekend on a very cold, wet, windy and flooded Lake Albert at Wagga Wagga. At the season end awards presentation that evening scored a trophy for overall 3rd place in my division for 2016. That was a surprise!

BTW the 84yo won PaddleNSW Paddler of the Year, Highest Points in the season's Pointscore and 2nd Place in his Division. Was an honour and privilege to be at the same table when he received the trophies.

Got several nibbles on the 2015 Revo 13, which unfortunately included a few tyre kickers. Received a deposit today. Fellow is new to kayak fishing and has scored the deal of the year. He is picking up a pimped late model Revo 13, with a replacement value of $4.5K with all the extras for a bargain price. Genuine bloke and I am glad it is going to someone who I know will be stoked with what he has purchased.

Anyway, will be in touch with Dennis T next week to see what colours he has available in a Fisha 500 and get the ball rolling. Yes...very keen and champing at the bit to get back into a glass fishing ski.

Mick

Return to “Main”