Big Girls.

This is the main discussion forum.
fisho49
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Queensland

Big Girls.

#1 Post by fisho49 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:04 am

It appears that new research into dusky flathead reproduction has debunked the long held belief that the “big girls” are the main breeders.

The research recently carried out in Qld and Vic concludes that the vast majority of quality eggs are in fact produced by the mid-sized females in the 45cm – 60cm range and not as previously believed by the big girls over 70cm.

Current fishing regulations in Qld, NSW and Vic do not offer protection for the mid-sized females, but rather encourage the keeping of fish that are the main producers of quality eggs. There is suggestion that this new knowledge may result in the implementation of closures in spawning areas which could severely impact on recreational fishing for dusky flathead.

reference: FishLife magagazine.
Old Town Loon
Glide Mahi

Dinger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yamba
Kayaks: mariner 10

Re: Big Girls.

#2 Post by Dinger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:18 am

But let me guess, no restrictions for professionals.

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#3 Post by pdfarrell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:57 am

When I keep flatties for a feed, they are normally in the 40-50cm range, and only ever enough for that evenings meal.
Incidentally, flathead are the only fish I tend to keep.

Have always let the big ones go, because I that's whats been touted as the done thing.
(Plus they can't possibly taste any good, and they won't fit in my live well)

Regardless of size, if the fish looks swollen with roe I release it. I have caught quite a few mid-sized fish like this.

While obviously a finite resource, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them in the system I usually fish (Lake Macquarie).

Will be interesting to see what (if anything) comes of the new research.

Cheers,
PF

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#4 Post by Leper » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:20 pm

This sort of stuff really interests me but I'm always a bit sceptical until I read the actual research paper. I tried to find the article but couldn't. Any chance you can post the reference of the research paper they based the article on so I can have a read!

Thanks

Brad
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

#5 Post by Leper » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:33 pm

Found it, should be an interesting read! Here is the url;

https://www.csu.edu.au/research/ilws/pu ... athead.pdf

And the conclusion from the paper;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#6 Post by pdfarrell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Leper wrote:Found it, should be an interesting read!
Could take me a while. I had to google the first word in the title! :beye:

At least I have learnt something today...

Cheers,
PF

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

#7 Post by Leper » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:11 pm

pdfarrell wrote:
Leper wrote:Found it, should be an interesting read!
Could take me a while. I had to google the first word in the title! :beye:

At least I have learnt something today...

Cheers,
PF
Lol, I'm lucky as my majors at Uni were Aquaculture and Fisheries Management!
Brad

ImageImage

PA Pete
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

#8 Post by PA Pete » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm with you PF, I only keep one or two for a feed that night other wise all fish go back to be caught another day. Hope the netters take note of this though I doubt it will make a difference to them [take it all and leave nothing].
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm

fisho49
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by fisho49 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:06 am

Out here in the back blocks of central Qld, we get the occasional sellers come through with their huge refrigerated 5th wheelers packed with frozen seafood and they make an absolute 'killing', especially this time of year with the outback horse races like Birdsville etc.

One that came through just recently had flathead fillets for $65 per kilo and when I asked "why so expensive?" the answer was that there was a big shortage of flathead out there.

Are fish stocks starting to become unsustainable?
Old Town Loon
Glide Mahi

PA Pete
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

#10 Post by PA Pete » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:53 pm

$65 a kg someone is making a killing :grr: In my local the Kolan River we have netters go through and lay out 5 to 6 nets across the river at different sections of the river and if they see you coming they pull their nets in to allow you to go through, and they hate kayakers as we don't make any noise and we can see what they are up to. The fishing for the next week or so is very dismal. I know they say they only take certain species but what I've seen they take it all. :grr: The old rec fisher usually only takes what he needs, but what I've seen the netters rape and pillage :egrin:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm

fisho49
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by fisho49 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:08 am

I fully agree with you Pete.

I grew up in the Lake Macquarie area and witnessed the steady decline of fish stocks in the lake due to the huge impact of commercial netting. Of course, the netters denied that their netting was having much impact and they in turn pointed the finger of blame at the rec fishers. It was interesting to see how rapidly fish stocks returned to a healthy level once commercial fishing was banned in the lake.

The debate between rec and commercial fishers over who has the biggest impact on fish stocks has been going on for a long time and will continue, but it does seem that more and more rec fishers are doing the right thing by limiting their catch.

Me, being an old fart who started his fishing life in an era when there were no minimum size or bag limits, have seen the worst of practices by recreational fishers and not proud to say that I was just as bad as the rest of them. I changed my philosophy towards limits and now only ever take one or two fish for a feed, but there are a lot of fishos out there from my same era who have never changed and still come back from a day on the water with their bins overflowing. Some get caught by Fisheries, but most get way with it.

Jeff
Old Town Loon
Glide Mahi

AdrianK
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by AdrianK » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:45 am

PA Pete wrote:In my local the Kolan River we have netters go through and lay out 5 to 6 nets across the river at different sections of the river and if they see you coming they pull their nets in to allow you to go through, and they hate kayakers as we don't make any noise and we can see what they are up to. The fishing for the next week or so is very dismal. I know they say they only take certain species but what I've seen they take it all. :grr: The old rec fisher usually only takes what he needs, but what I've seen the netters rape and pillage :egrin:
Great comments Pete.

I would happily go for paid recreational fishing licenses if the proceeds went towards getting professional netters out of the rivers through buying out their licenses, and also enforcement measures.

I know this is controversial, and I expect outraged responses to that, but on holidays in NSW I've enjoyed some wonderful fishing in rivers where just that has happened, and the rivers and fish stocks are so healthy.
Adrian K
Prowler 13

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#13 Post by Ads22 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:18 pm

AdrianK wrote:
PA Pete wrote:In my local the Kolan River we have netters go through and lay out 5 to 6 nets across the river at different sections of the river and if they see you coming they pull their nets in to allow you to go through, and they hate kayakers as we don't make any noise and we can see what they are up to. The fishing for the next week or so is very dismal. I know they say they only take certain species but what I've seen they take it all. :grr: The old rec fisher usually only takes what he needs, but what I've seen the netters rape and pillage :egrin:
Great comments Pete.

I would happily go for paid recreational fishing licenses if the proceeds went towards getting professional netters out of the rivers through buying out their licenses, and also enforcement measures.

I know this is controversial, and I expect outraged responses to that, but on holidays in NSW I've enjoyed some wonderful fishing in rivers where just that has happened, and the rivers and fish stocks are so healthy.
The net situation is going to be touchy mostly to those that make their living from it. Same goes for live export, piggeries, racing and so on. Following results of initiation of net free zones is interesting and I think following the situation with fishing around our region on the Fitzroy over the next 1-2 years will show the effect of the commercial fishing. Early indications are that stocks have already improved, but naturally this needs time to be proven as repeatable.

I have no doubt the commercial netting has a far greater effect on fish stocks. I am constantly disgusted, however, by the attitude of recreational fishers and their insistence on leaving the rubbish around - drink containers, chip and biscuit packets, bait packets, fishing line, etc. Education has improved re: taking of fish, but there needs to be a massive change to littering attitudes (as for all areas of our community).
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

fisho49
KFDU Angler

#14 Post by fisho49 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:58 am

I share your disgust Adam and I fail to understand the mentality of those rec fishers who are constantly trashing our waterways and foreshores.

I travel extensively in my fishing trips and there is hardly a section of our coastline that you wont find rubbish. Fair enough, some can be attributed to international shipping, but when I flick a lure out chasing barra in a remote Cape York river and pull in a plastic bag with a Tweed Bait logo, that totally pisses me off big time. :grr:

Sunday rant over.

Jeff
Old Town Loon
Glide Mahi

Return to “Main”