Passing under a Jetty or Pier - where has out manners gone?

This is the main discussion forum.
Ke00
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem & Hobie PA14

Passing under a Jetty or Pier - where has out manners gone?

#1 Post by Ke00 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:31 pm

Just when I've come to terms with what humans are capable of, I see something that leaves me 'lost for words).
I'm currently at Hervey Bay in beautiful Queensland. They have an old pier here that is about 800m long and open to the public. On Tuesday, I was fishing off this pier with my wife, mother and children. Being a kayak owner, I was interested to see a kayak appear coming towards to pier about 5 or so metres from shore. Thinking it would soon turn and beach on the lovely sand, I was surprised to see it just keep coming. The kayak passed under the pier right in the middle of heaps (and I do mean HEAPS) of people fishing ..... the gentleman in the kayak, didn't say a word and just kept paddling through, the people of the Pier were very polite and they too said nothing .... even the guy on the pier who's fishing line the kayaker 'caught' as he come out the other side. The kayaker simply treated the fishing line like we might treat a spider web that we walk into .... as an annoyance but it didn't slow him down much. And he simply kept paddling away until he disappeared around the next corner.

One good thing came from all this, all these strangers on the Pier were now talking to each, as they laughed at what had just occurred. How rude can someone be. Perhaps if the kayaker was 'hooked' it would have been the biggest 'fathead' caught all day.

As a teacher I get disillusioned at times at the lack of manners of adolescent, this shows that perhaps the 'apple doesn't fall too far from the tree'?

I like to tell people I'm a kayaker and proud to show off my rig, but I didn't own up to being a kayaker yesterday whilst fishing on the Pier ....... :idiot:

So if by the off chance you where in a yellow prowler, paddling under the Hervey Bay pier yesterday at about 11.45am ..... next time, have some thought for those around you and lets all enjoy the resources that are available. Lets all get a long ;)

Happy fishing all.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work EVERY TIME

Funchy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 (yellow) Hobie Revo 16 (Grey)

Re: Passing under a Jetty or Pier - where has out manners go

#2 Post by Funchy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:43 pm

I like to tell anyone that complains about "the youth of today" that they are a product of our own doing. It is our generation bringing them up. I am very proud of my 4 kids. They have been brought up right and are made to be accountable for their actions and the impact they have on others. Unfortunately its gonna get worse before it gets better.

Dinger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yamba
Kayaks: mariner 10

#3 Post by Dinger » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:13 pm

What a shame there wasnt someone present with a heavy handline & snapper lead for the D Head :grin:

Digger
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: E.G. to Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Yaks Gone Tinny Now

#4 Post by Digger » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:02 pm

Yes but did you catch anything?

Ke00
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem & Hobie PA14

#5 Post by Ke00 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Digger wrote:Yes but did you catch anything?
Not to speak of .... You'll notice how I conviently left that detail out Digger... That's for raising it ...... Lol
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work EVERY TIME

jb2020
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: VIC
Kayaks: OK Trident

#6 Post by jb2020 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:58 am

Lucky you didnt catch anything, otherwise you most likely would have had a bunch of arrogant morons casting their lines over yours, as seems to be the go these days when I'm on a pier and get a few fish. The amount of people out there lacking in basic manners is alarming and it's mostly middle aged people I find, not so much kids. You should see the boaties when the whiting are going here in port phillip bay... they will anchor 10m from you without hesitation if they spot you catching some rather than burley up and find their own patch. the stories are endless and its getting worse.
I'm either a magnet for aholes when out fishing or there is a hell of a lot of them out there!

Slipperywhenwet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay and hinterland
Kayaks: Find Stealth

#7 Post by Slipperywhenwet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Good manners died along with common sense, respect for others and basic rational thinking.

Had a D Head on a jet ski thinking it was funny to run circles around me last time I was on the water. Plick.

Nev
Slippery
PB's: Flathead 43 : Bass 42:

Dreadfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: wellington
Kayaks: Stealth EVO 495, OK Prowler Elite 4.5, OK Scupper Pro

#8 Post by Dreadfish » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:03 pm

similar sort of thing happens here on a bridge near the river entrance. BUT in this case its me on the kayak. the road bridge has a walkway on the downstream side of it. lots of people fish here for what you aussies call sea salmon and we call Kahawai. anyway as i paddle downstream you can see all the lines in the water and while i do my best to avoid them sometimes i get caught. I also usually get grief from the fishers on the bridge. ok heres the catch. the middle two spans are the boat lanes. and in the deepest part of the river so always has the most fishers even though there are signs saying boat lanes keep clear no fishing allowed. so if they give me grief they get it back for fishing illegally. on the upside as i come back and someone asks how i did and ive done alright i will normally grab there line and give them a fish. :lol:

gbc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane or Hervey Bay

#9 Post by gbc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:07 am

Ke00 wrote:Just when I've come to terms with what humans are capable of, I see something that leaves me 'lost for words).
I'm currently at Hervey Bay in beautiful Queensland. They have an old pier here that is about 800m long and open to the public. On Tuesday, I was fishing off this pier with my wife, mother and children. Being a kayak owner, I was interested to see a kayak appear coming towards to pier about 5 or so metres from shore. Thinking it would soon turn and beach on the lovely sand, I was surprised to see it just keep coming. The kayak passed under the pier right in the middle of heaps (and I do mean HEAPS) of people fishing ..... the gentleman in the kayak, didn't say a word and just kept paddling through, the people of the Pier were very polite and they too said nothing .... even the guy on the pier who's fishing line the kayaker 'caught' as he come out the other side. The kayaker simply treated the fishing line like we might treat a spider web that we walk into .... as an annoyance but it didn't slow him down much. And he simply kept paddling away until he disappeared around the next corner.

One good thing came from all this, all these strangers on the Pier were now talking to each, as they laughed at what had just occurred. How rude can someone be. Perhaps if the kayaker was 'hooked' it would have been the biggest 'fathead' caught all day.

As a teacher I get disillusioned at times at the lack of manners of adolescent, this shows that perhaps the 'apple doesn't fall too far from the tree'?

I like to tell people I'm a kayaker and proud to show off my rig, but I didn't own up to being a kayaker yesterday whilst fishing on the Pier ....... :idiot:

So if by the off chance you where in a yellow prowler, paddling under the Hervey Bay pier yesterday at about 11.45am ..... next time, have some thought for those around you and lets all enjoy the resources that are available. Lets all get a long ;)

Happy fishing all.
I don't see what your point is. Was he supposed to paddle 800m out to sea or get out of the water and drag his kayak along the sand so he didn't get in the tourist's way? If you are passing through Urangan on a kayak you paddle under the jetty. What were people doing on a 800m long jetty fishing 5m off the beach?

Dinger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yamba
Kayaks: mariner 10

#10 Post by Dinger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:41 am

800 mtrs of jetty & he couldnt find a gap with no one fishing ?

gbc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane or Hervey Bay

#11 Post by gbc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Dinger wrote:800 mtrs of jetty & he couldnt find a gap with no one fishing ?
Haha, probably not during school hols. Pier rats everywhere. Who knows, maybe the old bugger can't swim. Is that the point of the post? That he didn't go out to miss them? That's what I'm asking.

richo23
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 Hobie Quest 11 Mirage 583 Freeride

#12 Post by richo23 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:08 pm

I regularly paddle under that jetty and as GBC has said in holidays there wouldn't be more than a metre between fisherfolk on the jetty but I have never been caught up in any lines or annoyed any fishos.
From about 20 metres away you can usually pick the best spot to paddle under without fouling lines.
He was probably an older bloke just out paddling for a bit of exercise and didn't realise the inconvenience he may cause to those above.
Cheers , Richo.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#13 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Unfortunately encountering idiots and inconsiderate people is not seasonal. If it was, we would at least get some temporay relief.

Just be appreciative that you consciously don't think or act like they do and always be prepared to demonstrate patience with their short-comings.

Sounds like the jetty had some patient fishermen on that day even some with a sense of humour. Congrats on being one of them.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#14 Post by arpie » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:57 am

You don't need to be a brain surgeon to realise that people fishing = lines in the water - and something to be avoided ...
Particularly when going along a bridge/pier/breakwall.

I am VERY impressed that no one tore into him .... or even just yelled 'watch out for the lines!'

He definitely should have picked a better 'line' to take (so to speak" :lol: )

Maybe it was his first time in a yak.... probably not tho!

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

NathanG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: OK prowler 4.7( traded) Now Hobie PA 14

#15 Post by NathanG » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:50 pm

jb2020 wrote:Lucky you didnt catch anything, otherwise you most likely would have had a bunch of arrogant morons casting their lines over yours, as seems to be the go these days when I'm on a pier and get a few fish. The amount of people out there lacking in basic manners is alarming and it's mostly middle aged people I find, not so much kids. You should see the boaties when the whiting are going here in port phillip bay... they will anchor 10m from you without hesitation if they spot you catching some rather than burley up and find their own patch. the stories are endless and its getting worse.
I'm either a magnet for aholes when out fishing or there is a hell of a lot of them out there!
Being from down that way myself I can understand the frustration it causes. But have always found bouncing a small sinker off there boat usually gets them to move on :gu: Imo if your within easy casting distance of another boat that your not fishing with then your to close.
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Return to “Main”