White Spot Disease SE QLD

This is the main discussion forum.

White Spot Disease SE QLD

Postby simons rat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm

some bad news for our environment

The movement control for crustaceans in SE QLD has been expanded.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/animal-industries/animal-health-and-diseases/a-z-list/white-spot-disease

https://www.facebook.com/notes/fisheries-queensland/white-spot-disease-program-strategy-expands-across-moreton-bay/1419614798090152

[BREAKING] Movement control order for prawns (Moreton Bay) – white spot syndrome virus
PURSUANT to section 124 of the Biosecurity Act 201 4 (the Act), I make the following movement control order:

1. Why this movement control order is being made and what it is intended to achieve

This movement control order is being made to assist in the management and control of white spot syndrome virus, the causative agent of white spot disease by restricting the movement of certain white spot syndrome virus carriers and allowing control measures for this purpose. White spot syndrome virus, as the causative agent of white spot disease (where white spot disease is prohibited matter under schedule 1 of the Act), has been detected in seven aquaculture premises at Alberton and Woongoolba, the Logan River, an area south of the Logan River in Moreton Bay and in Deception Bay and off the Redcliffe Peninsula in Moreton Bay. The virus is highly contagious and could spread rapidly if not contained.

This virus is the causative agent of white spot disease, a devastating disease of decapod crustaceans and is exotic to Australia. lt is a large DNA virus assigned as the only member of the genus Whispovirus (family Nimaviridae). In farmed prawns, white spot disease kills 100% of prawns within a few days. The disease attacks multiple systems in the prawns including the gills and this inhibits their ability to take up oxygen resulting in suffocation . Evidence from overseas outbreaks indicates that the incubation period for white spot syndrome virus in farmed prawn populations could be up to 40 to 45 days. In wild populations, the incubation period may be indefinite because animals in the wild rarely or never show clinical signs of infection.

White spot disease and white spot syndrome virus, in this case, therefore present an immediate and serious risk to the aquaculture industry, commercial and recreational fishing industries as well as the environment. In this context, I consider it is necessary to take actions to restrict the movement of white spot syndrome virus (which is biosecurity matter under the Act) and its carriers by making a movement control order for a specified area that covers Moreton Bay, Pumicestone Passage, waterways flowing into Moreton Bay and south to the Queensland/New South Wales border, the 100 metres eastward of the ocean beaches on the Islands surrounding Moreton Bay and the Gold Coast to the Queensland/New South Wales border (see map attached). I consider it necessary to make this movement control order as I am satisfied, on reasonable grounds that white spot syndrome virus poses a biosecurity risk of enough seriousness, and the risk is high enough to justify the making of the order.

2. Details of the controlled biosecurity matter(s) and carrier(s) to which the order relates

The biosecurity matter for this movement control order is white spot syndrome virus. This movement control order relates to certain carriers of white spot syndrome virus. White spot syndrome virus c.an be spread on the following carriers: a. All life stages of decapod crustaceans (including but not limited to prawns, crabs and lobsters) b. Avian species that may have been feeding on infected species and moving those infected species to other places. c. All stages of the lifecycle of Copepoda crustaceans d. Insect larvae e. All lifecycle stages of polychaete worms f. Water g. Sediment. This movement control order relates only to the following carriers (white spot syndrome virus carriers): a. Decapod crustaceans; and b. Polychaete worms.

3. The area to which the order relates

The area to which the movement control order applies is indicated in the map at attachment 1 and includes:

• The Eastern boundary is defined as 1 OOm seawards of the ocean beaches from the Queensland/New South Wales border to the tip of Moreton Island, along the northern shore of Moreton Island to Comboyuro Point, across to Skirmish Point on Bribie Island, up the eastern ocean beach to the tip of Bribie Island and across to Caloundra Head.

• The inland boundary is defined by the local government areas Moreton Bay Regional Council, Logan City, Brisbane City, Logan City Ipswich City and Gold Coast City, and selected localities from Sunshine Coast Regional Council: Bells Creek, Beerburrum, Beerwah, Booroobin, Bribie Island North, Caloundra, Caloundra West, Coochin Creek, Crohamhurst, Kings Beach, Glass House Mountains, Golden Beach, Mount Mellum, Moffat Beach, Landsborough, Peachester, Pelican Waters and Shelly Beach.

Movement Control4. Persons to whom this movement control order applies

To achieve the purpose of this movement control order, the order applies to persons within the movement control order area. Under section 126 of the Act, a person to whom a movement control order applies must comply with the order. The maximum penalty for failure to comply with a movement control order is a fine of 2000 penalty units or 1 year’s imprisonment.

5. The prohibitions and restrictions that must be complied with by persons to whom this order applies

The prohibitions and restrictions that must be complied with by persons to whom this order applies are as follows: (a) A person must not remove the following white spot syndrome virus carriers out of the movement control area unless the person has a biosecurity instrument permit issued under section 132 of the Act: (i) decapod crustaceans; and (ii) polychaete worms (b) However the following carriers are excluded from the restriction stated in paragraph (a) above: (i) cooked carriers; and (ii) uncooked carriers that have originated from outside the movement control order area and are transiting through the movement control order area in commercially sealed, unopened packages that pass through the area without stopping. (c) A person within the movement control order area must allow an inspector appointed under the Act or a person under the direction of an inspector appointed under the Act to: (i) Inspect, examine, film or test any white spot syndrome virus carrier; (ii) Treat or destroy any white spot syndrome virus carrier; (iii) Clean or disinfect any place, including any structure or thing at a place; or (iv) Take any white spot syndrome virus carrier for inspection, testing, treatment or destruction. (d) A person to whom this movement control order relates must notify an inspector about­ (i) the presence of controlled white spot syndrome virus; or (ii) if the person reasonably suspects the presence of white spot syndrome virus.

6. Period of the order

The movement control order will stay in force for three (3) months after 16 March 2017 unless earlier revoked.

7. Revocation of previous movement control order

The movement control order made on 21 January 2017 in relation to white spot syndrome virus in the Logan and Albert Rivers is revoked.

8. Authorisation
Elizabeth Woods
Director-General
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Re: White Spot Disease SE QLD

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:22 pm

This is bad, I can't see how this will ever be eradicated or prevented from spreading around Australia.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby slim » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 pm

This will impact a lot of people. We are in the middle of prawn season with upto 50 boats in certain locations. Plus following the last decent flush all the muddies will be out and about. Lets hope the spread can be controlled.
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.
slim
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Postby RhubarbTheYeti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 am

Remember someone on this or another kayak fish forum questioning why prawns they had bought were labelled "for human consumption only".
"Hey, if they are safe for me to eat why can't I use them for bait"
Well, coz the authorities knew that White Spot could be introduced.
Should raw prawns have been imported at all? Reckon a few local prawn trawlers and prawn farms would disagree now - and it could all be down to rec fishos (unknowingly) using infected imported prawns as bait :cry:
RhubarbTheYeti
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Scamander, Tas
Kayaks: 2010 Hobie Outback, 2015 Hobie Outback, 2015 Hobie Outfitter x2

Postby Pete49 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 pm

IMO we should not be importing any raw seafood or meat as we have no control over the raising or killing of those products. We are forever told not to bring in stuff fro O/S and border control at airports etc. see heaps confiscated on border security so why are we allowing big business to suit themselves. looks like another clean resource ruined due to profit before sense. :grr:
Pete49
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing

Postby simons rat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

what you said pete. We are an island and we can control a lot of things. The world is our market and if we have products free of disease etc then we have excellent export opportunities. The one product that really upsets me is honey. There are diseases that affect bees overseas and we important honey, that is seriously dumb.

At the end of the day it all comes down to greed. Greed of corporations who want to sell products and especially the greed of consumers who only care about their pocket and not the impact that their cheapness causes to the manufactures and farmers of Australian produce and food stuffs.

I always read labels and buy Aussie, I never buy imported fresh meats, fruit, vegetables or seafoods. I try my hardest to not buy any imported products unless there is no alternative. I think this is better for Australia.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Postby mouse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

simons rat wrote: I never buy imported fresh meats, fruit, vegetables or seafoods. I try my hardest to not buy any imported products unless there is no alternative. I think this is better for Australia.

Excluding Beer.... :lol:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby simons rat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:11 pm

beer is a universal food stuff .... all brewers around the world deserve to be supported in any way possible.

simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Postby Edstar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:20 pm

so the new control zone pretty much covers all my fishing areas. No more cast netting lives :oops: which is my preferred fishing method for Jew and threadies. No more pumping yabbies which is my preferred flattie/bream/whiting bait. :cry: I have to work on my sp skills now coz I don't have a choice anymore.

On a side note my uncle imports seafood to Aust from Asia :beye:
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby mouse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

simons rat wrote:beer is a universal food stuff .... all brewers around the world deserve to be supported in any way possible.

Totally agree...... :wink:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby unsinkable 2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Edstar wrote:so the new control zone pretty much covers all my fishing areas. No more cast netting lives :oops: which is my preferred fishing method for Jew and threadies. No more pumping yabbies which is my preferred flattie/bream/whiting bait. :cry: I have to work on my sp skills now coz I don't have a choice anymore.

On a side note my uncle imports seafood to Aust from Asia :beye:

Nope.
All of this is fine- you're just not allowed to remove anything from the control zone without cooking it first.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby Edstar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks unsinkable.
Too many words I didn't read. I just looked at the new map. And gave it a skim. My bad.
Edstar
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby Occy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 am

I recall the robust discussions here and elsewhere about imported raw prawns and thought at the time it was a ticking time bomb. As indeed it has turned out to be.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist or marine bioligist to realise that unethical businesses importing raw product from dodgy countries to satisfy selfish consumers, and uncaring recreational fishos was a recipe for disaster.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Postby scorpio » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 pm

It all has Government approval to come in. And we all know that they will never listen to reason.
scorpio
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120. Hobie Outback no. 3.

Postby Occy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 am

Not wrong Scorpio. I put it down to the governments penchant for industry self regulation, which as we all know is just code for do whatever you want. Bloody disgraceful it is.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Next

Return to Main