White Spot Disease SE QLD

This is the main discussion forum.

Re: White Spot Disease SE QLD

Postby Steve R » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am

I not advocating than anyone believe the following unconditionally (reduced ABC funding may find them not verifying information the same as the profit-chasing media) but worth a read:

Brief history
http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/fish-facts-a-history-of-white-spot-disease-in-australia

Last year
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-09/white-spot-figures-higher-than-first-thought/8256398

From May to December last year, the department rejected 17 per cent of green prawn imports due to positive WSD tests.
That is based on government figures that showed, of the 448 consignments that arrived in Australia in that period, 73 were rejected due to WSD detections.

Another web ABC page implies poor management of the 73 consignments post-detection
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-23/q ... ns/8144876
says "the majority have been destroyed or exported."
The majority!
Someone approved export!
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby Steve R » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Postby MrPinkie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Yep very true. Sometimes I really wonder what this government and past Qld ones have as an agenda here. Last week it took them 4 days to publicise the massive toxic waste spill after it was reported to them by the airport in the Brisbane river and surrounds to the public...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 990b3855eb
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

Postby robwho » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I received an email 'Newscast' update from NSW DPI a few days ago that says that "Do not use prawns meant for human consumption as bait." I am not sure if this is a new rule, but this makes sense as out of area imported prawns would definitely be a risk of spreading disease.

CALL TO ACTION FOR ALL RECREATIONAL FISHERS - WE NEED YOUR HELP!
What you put on your hook might not seem like a big deal, but to our native species and everyone who likes to have access to quality local crustaceans, such as prawns and yabbies; it could be just the difference they need.

Putting the wrong bait on your hook could also hit you in the hip pocket - not just in availability of affordable local seafood, but also potentially in fines.

Whether wetting a line in inland waterways, or along the coast:
Do not use prawns meant for human consumption as bait.
Do not dispose of waste from purchased seafood in our waterways.
It is illegal to bring into NSW uncooked crustaceans (such as prawns, yabbies or saltwater nippers) or marine worms from the area in South East Queensland affected by White Spot. HEAVY PENALTIES APPLY
As of 1 July 2017, everyone now has a general biosecurity duty under the Biosecurity Act 2015, to help prevent the spread of pests and diseases.
Robert White Hobie Outback
robwho
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Postby Tim399 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

I can't speak for all but I believe most of the vyak (Victorian Kayak Anglers Forum) members have stopped using banana prawns as bait since earlier this year due to the white spot disease. Which is a shame as it is a great bait especially for gummy sharks. I had 3kg frozen ready for bait use that was in the freezer for nearly 2 years and when I looked closely they were covered in white spot, so in the bin they went. In Vic we were "urged" not to use prawns for human consumption as bait
Tim399
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port phillip bay

Postby Steve R » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Something seems to be happening to let Qld fishos know not to use food grade prawns and to not move bait out of the WSD area.
http://www.bnbfishing.com.au/mate-check-bait-go-fishing/

Don't move it out of the system in which it was caught would be a better message (so it doesn't spread estuary to estuary).
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Previous

Return to Main