A MUST READ ... Is the Kayak Brotherhood Dying Slow a Death?

This is the main discussion forum.

A MUST READ ... Is the Kayak Brotherhood Dying Slow a Death?

Postby arpie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 pm

This is a VERY interesting read - and those of us who have been yak fishing for the last 10 years or so - many will recognise some of the unfortunate 'squabbles' mentioned in the document below, many of which arose as a result of which kayak brand or style you chose etc, whether you fished comps or not, even down to which rod you prefer ..... stupid squabbles - especially back when Hobie started impacting on kayak fishing! It pretty well became a 'them & us' situation!

I don't know about you - but I just LOVE getting out there & fishing from my yak. I have way too many rods & probably only use 3-4 as they 'feel right'! I have WAY too many lures & SPs .... but usually only use a handful - because I know they 'work'! :gu: I love fishing with other people - but don't ask me to 'guide you' - cos I SUCK at 'guiding people' - and I SUCK at 'real' fishing comps too, but enjoy the 'social' comps on KFDU & our 'social weekends' here & away.

Check this out - and tell me, what do you reckon??

http://riverratzkayakfishing.com/kayak- ... w-death-2/

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: A MUST READ ... Is the Kayak Brotherhood Dying Slow a De

Postby Ray7 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:46 pm

A very interesting read and some of the points I've seen over the last couple years, but in my recent travel there still a lot of Kayaks on rooftops towing caravans or campers, so this side of the kayaking isn't dying out it getting stronger, but well worth the read.

Ray
Hobie Outback, Malibu Sierra 10
Grandkid - 6
Stocked Bass 50cm / Wild Bass 42cm Barramundi 110cm /Sooty Grunter 47cm.
Bream 28cm / Big eye Travelly 32cm/Snapper 48cm.
Whiting 34cm / Flathead 70cm, Cod 75cm, Yellowbelly 47cm.
Happy Moments 29cm (Black Travelly- Siganus Nebulosus)

Member of the Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Club
Ray7
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland/ To Hunter in NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback -- Malibu Sierra 10

Postby Turtle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 pm

I love kayak fishig, it is my reset, my stress relief. Even if I am not catching fish,I am connecting with nature which is my center. I first started with a cheap little paddle kayak, but once hooked saved up to buy my current moken.
I loved finding this forum and wanted to be an active part of it, but felt a little insecure and still do at times.
I often feel inadequate as i only fish estuaries (due to severe motion sickness) compared with those who chase bigger fish offshore.
However, I find that most people are very friendly and happy to help others. But there are some that I cant help but get a feeling of superiority from.

It wont stop me kayak fishing, and it wont stop me posting on here. It just saddens me when i read some things like that.

Just my take on it.

Cheers and tight lines,
Corey
Yak PB's: Flathead 71cm, Bream 36cm, Bass 26cm, Whiting 40cm
Turtle
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Caloundra
Kayaks: Moken 10 lite

Postby pdfarrell » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am

Love my kayak fishing, and in particular, fishing with other like minded souls.
If there is a divide I'm not experiencing it.

As far as equipment goes, if someone wants to come fishing with me, I couldn't give a rats bum if they turned up on the QEII or paddling an esky lid with a ping-pong bat.
And I sincerely hope they feel the same way.

My 2c.

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby sainoq » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 am

Interesting read.

I have not experienced this issue, no one has given me and grief while out on the water fishing.
Think I must be the in the "worst" sort of category in terms of gear, but that is half choice and half situation.

My outfit is my inflatable kayak, berkley nomadic telescopic rod, 100% the kind of guy that would be put down according to the article.

But, I have fun, get out there and catch a bunch of redfin/yellowbelly.
sainoq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Aquaglide Chinook XP 2 Person Inflatable Kayak

Postby muzza111 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 am

Nah.... it's still us vs the stink boaters vs the land based fishermen vs spearfishermen vs professional fishermen :grin:
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm
muzza111
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

Postby GregL » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Anyone who thinks there are 'pro kayakers/fisher's' need to relax. There's no such thing - certainly in Australia. Sure they're are guys who get benefits - be it a kayak to use, or gear to use - but mark my words, I can guarantee that there's not a single angler in the country who has the whole lot paid for. There's no angler who has his rod, reel, kayak, line, lures, clothes, sunnies, comp entry fees, entirely paid for by a 'major sponsor'. They get a bit of support, which is greatly appreciated - and yes, some will remember that I was one of those lucky guys back in the day when the comps started in earnest.
Basically, my point is that I get the shts when I read all these references to 'the pro's'. They're not pro's. They're just on a good wicket with whichever sponsor is backing them - and that is IT. They're no more special than the next bloke or woman, and putting them on a pedestal as being a 'pro' does nothing other than blow smoke where it shouldn't go, and make others feel inadequate against this false superiority.
My two cents.
GregL
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: South coast NSW

Postby Shuggy22 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 pm

First of all I think alot of it comes back to people just being people.
It effects any hobby, sport, career etc etc.
There are arrogant abnoxious condescending people
and the there are humble open minded easy going people.
Both of which I have experienced and seen others experience on this very forum.

That being said the prior often tarnishes the surface view of something and this forum for the far greater part is a great community to be a part of.

I have met very few yakkers on the water but all I have
met have been very amiable!

As far as gear stigma, brand prejudice etc etc go again it's just people. Some dont understand that personal circumstance dictates others choice as to what gear they use but that's the on lookers ignorance not the user's competence
At the end of the day to me the aim of the game is to relax, have fun, challenge oneself and catch fish!
And as far as that last point goes I still to this day neever have/had as much success with any fan-dangled gear as I do/have with a $5 handline and some good old bait!

As far as the sport dying a slow death goes I cant say I see that. I think in recent times there has probably been a shift from forums to facebook to some degree with one particular group I'm a part of seeming to grow exponentially! This is just a changing of tides though, a trend if you like just as other yakking forums have died out and kfdu risen in its following.
Each has there strong points and each has there cons.

As long as there are fish and water there will always be yakanglers!
Shuggy22
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

Postby Shuggy22 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Lol re reading that I dont think I said "As far as" enough times
Shuggy22
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

Postby Ozzybass » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 am

My take as someone who has yakfished for 21 yrs over 3 states in Oz and 2 in the USA - yakfishing is not dying, its growing exponentially, but the "brotherhood" may have and the 2 are intertwined. When I first started yakfishing, there were not many other yakfishos. Nowadays, we're a dime a dozen which breeds congestion & competition. When I started, there were not that many choices of kayak, now there are so many. When I first started we paddled, now we do that as well as PEDAL (the misspelling of "Pedal" gives me the shits!), step, sit down or stand up. The multitude of choice then breeds a vast range of cost and thus affordability and thus snobbery & it's flipside, envy. So... what I'm saying is that we're just victims of our own sport's wonderfulness! :roll: :gu:
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Postby dinodadog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:38 am

I am just a plain old over 70 fisherperson that has 2 yaks and a stink boat. If anyone comes fishing with me and starts talking about how good their gear is I usually tell them to cann it and get on with the fishing. As mentioned in another post on here somewhere I fly,lure and baitfish and when able like to spend time in my yak. At the moment I am catching heaps of bass on $2 lures, blades I got on ebay 5 for 10 dallars, I strip them, paint them the colour I want, then redress them. Best part is you dont cry for long if you lose them and they catch just as many bass as high price ones.
My advice would be, dont be put down by what others, or what you read, as long as you are enjoying yourself thats what matters.

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
I am not a bass addict but I am very fond of them
dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: brisbane
Kayaks: Fish bandit +hobie outback

Postby mouse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:04 am

Who Cares if you have the best, worst or in between - only YOU!
Live your life and enjoy what you have :wink:

Kayak/canoe fishing, hunting & gathering has been around for centuries, I don't think it will stop soon.
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby yaqdoq » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm

IMO
NO , it is so big that it has become factionalized !
it still is kayak against the rest but then there is pedal vs paddle as a internal faction as there is glass vs plastic , fresh vs estuary vs salt ....... ( but these are for fun or so I thought )
Videos made are visual trip reports , critique is a form of flattery and maybe a guide for other fishos to pick up nuggets of information . Mostly a form of communication to far of rellies .
yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

Postby lozza » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:27 am

blah blah blah ,just get out there and enjoy it
lozza
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: goldcoast
Kayaks: revo

Postby arpie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for your comments guys - it is great to see so many passionate yak fishos out there! :gu:

.....My take as someone who has yakfished for 21 yrs over 3 states in Oz and 2 in the USA - yakfishing is not dying, its growing exponentially, but the "brotherhood" may have and the 2 are intertwined. When I first started yakfishing, there were not many other yakfishos. Nowadays, we're a dime a dozen which breeds congestion & competition. When I started, there were not that many choices of kayak, now there are so many. When I first started we paddled, now we do that as well as PEDAL (the misspelling of "Pedal" gives me the shits!), step, sit down or stand up. The multitude of choice then breeds a vast range of cost and thus affordability and thus snobbery & it's flipside, envy. So... what I'm saying is that we're just victims of our own sport's wonderfulness!.....

Nailed it, I reckon, Tham. Yeah I hate it when someone spells 'pedal' wrong too!! :?:

.....it is so big that it has become factionalized ! it still is kayak against the rest but then there is pedal vs paddle as a internal faction as there is glass vs plastic , fresh vs estuary vs salt....

So true - we often forget about the Glass vs Plastic debate! :wink: They all work, they all catch fish, so all are good!!

As the writer said in the comments below the article (also well worth a read!) ..... The majority in the hobby are exceptional people who want to share it with others…but there are some (sometimes we are included in that) that forget its just a hobby....

WOW He got kicked out of some FB groups & even lost friends over his article! OMG! Some people are just 'too precious'! :roll:
.....What I didn’t anticipate was losing friends over it, and being kicked out of FB groups. Guess I stepped on some toes. To those people I offended..I’m sorry. That was never the intent......

Back when I started yak fishing here in Forster 10+ years ago, I was the only one out there! I thought I had invented it! :lol: :lol: Back then, pretty well every time I came back to the ramp (or setting out) I was questioned by a whole bunch of people, photos taken, Now there are hundreds!

Yes, being so different from boat fishing & shore bashing - it took a while to 'get a handle' on it - and the Brotherhood worked well - but once the comps started, many people stopped posting their trip reports or what they were catching on, in case someone did 'better than them' in the next comp ...... then Facebook came along & they felt more comfortable putting photos up (rarely with lure & location shown) for that 'instant gratification' hit.

Luckily, here on KFDU, we have a reasonably strong group of yakkers who just LOVE getting out there & having a fish & don't mind telling & showing others what they caught, where & what on! LONG MAY IT LAST! (Tho there are still a lot of lurkers who don't contribute to the community!) Don't be shy - tell us if you catch a fish! More importantly - Tell us if you DON'T catch a fish - we may be able to help you get onto some! :wink:

I started out in a white water kayak that had no keel/rudder & only went round in circles (it wasn't a fishing kayak at all - it was cheap! :lol: ) So cheap - we got 2 - one for Keith! They were shocking - so we sold them both & I bought a Sit In Perception Minnow - one of the first dedicated 'Fishing Kayaks' with rod holders front & back AND it came with a life jacket! Then I got an Australis Bass for Keith & Visitors ..... but it's seat wasn't really comfortable - so eventually sold that to a neighbour's son just last year.

Visiting Jervis Bay for a triathlon, I saw a Hobie shop right on the water & asked if I could Demo a yak ..... which I did - and LOVED IT! Back home, I bought a brand new Outback - but it was just too big for me & didn't fit on the back of our ute - so I sold that one & bought a 2nd hand Hobie Sport - the model I've stayed with ever since.

I loved it then, I love it now! :gu: If the body lets me, I try to get out at least 3 times a week, often with a day or 2 in between .... as I can't fish 5 days straight any more! The old arthritis is playing up big time! :cry:

See you on the water! :lek:

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Next

Return to Main