A MUST READ ... Is the Kayak Brotherhood Dying Slow a Death?

This is the main discussion forum.

Re: A MUST READ ... Is the Kayak Brotherhood Dying Slow a De

Postby Aussie54 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Long may it last too Roberta.

I think it's a great forum. Lots of different topics, lots of information. The other one (kayak forum) I searched a few years back when I first started kayak fishing seemed a bit narchy and it seems to have died, probably because of its narcissism.

I don't like comps, and like doing my own thing thus is why I don't belong to any particular kayak club. I guess it may happen one day but until it does I enjoy my solitude. The only drawback Is I need to be super cautious as some of the places I go are isolated, no reception and not too many people around if I run into trouble and need help.

Anyway, really enjoy KFDU. The whole lot. Good on you who ever runs it, keep it going. :grin:

Regards, Wayne A.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney metro, upper Nepean River & South Coast
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel

Postby clutch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 pm

My starting point on these issues is that kayak fishing is an adventure for me every time I go. Other forms of fishing can be good, a tinny or speedboat gives you mobility, but that slap slap of waves on the hull drives me nuts, and I have a constant mental picture of fish being spooked at long distances. The hull sounds like a megaphone.

More positively, I love the gentle motion, the quietness, the exercise and the stealth factor of a kayak. I love the skinny water where you experience quiet and protection from dodgy speedboats and jetskis.

Then there are the geographical and launch challenges, especially for skinny water bass fishos, which can be fun of themselves.

It is great seeing other K fishermen on the water or at the launch ramp, and sharing a bit of "intelligence". I often spend 20 mins on a riverbank comparing lures, especially with bass fishermen.

I have learnt a lot from this forum, Ausbass, other fisherman, DVDs, Youtube, and in times past, magazines. It has been a great journey as I have learned more, become more competent and introduced a couple of others to kayak fishing. I have encouraged potential bass fishermen to just get something that floats to access territory. I expect the bug will bite with the first fish.

In this context I have found Kayak fishermen as much of a brotherhood as ever. Even in such things as winter kit, it has been helpful to get input. Out on the water in bass territory it is helpful to check out/ discuss what lures people are using, what time periods they fish etc. It can be interesting seeing what kayaks they use, and how they find them.

I have not seen tension or scorn between between paddle and Pedal. I have not seen tension on the water between gear freaks and BCF combos.

As between comp fishermen and others, I have to say I don't understand tournaments, but then I don't understand most competitive sport. I do endorse the "who shares wins" philosophy in Australia, which seems to have faded in the American Bass Circuit.

So there you have it. For me the brotherhood is as strong as ever.
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Postby clutch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

And thanks Roberta for this post and your regular input. Glad/ jealous that you fish 3 times a week. I usually fish every 2 to 3 weeks, but absolutely savour it when I get out. So therapeutic.
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Postby Grimbo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:01 am

Social media has a big part in the modern world being increasingly more anti social and less community minded.

I think forums such as this one, are for the most part pretty awesome! The wealth of knowledge that is freely shared, is wonderful. I'm more than happy to share my experience with others, lures, spots etc. I am however aware, that as populations grow and social media becomes bigger, it doesn't take much for fishing locations to receive additional pressure.

As with any group, family, work etc, there will always be people that don't get along. And as a group grows, that percentage becomes bigger.

I still love fishing from the yak, being on the water like clutch said is very therapeutic and assists me keeping the black dog in the back yard. I'm always up for a chat with anyone I see out on the water.

I don't think it's the brotherhood of kayak fishing that is dying, just community in general. So I am glad to be part of the KDFU community bucking the dying trend.
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby fisho49 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Grimbo wrote:Social media has a big part in the modern world being increasingly more anti social and less community minded...........I don't think it's the brotherhood of kayak fishing that is dying, just community in general.........

I think you got it in one there, Grimbo.

I've only been into yak fishing for a couple of years and so far, just about every other yakker that I have met in my travels or on the water has been easy to talk to. There have been a couple of exceptions, but you get that in just about everything these days. Looking back on my pre-yakfishing days, I noticed a certain snobbishness creeping into fishing - more-so when it came to gear. There are those who like to impress others and then there are those who don't give a damn what sort of gear you use - I belong to the latter.

Jeff
fisho49
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Central Queensland
Kayaks: Glide Horizon.

Postby metallica_mosher » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:52 pm

ive been away from kayak fishing and fishing in general for a few years now due to having kids and lack of time but still get on here to read a few posts. but as soon as time allows me I cant wait to get back out there. it wont die its to addictive!
Each to their own.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Its nice to be important but it's more inportant to be nice.
He who dies with the most toys wins.
metallica_mosher
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Purple Emotion kayak & a fish bandit

Postby scorpio » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Personally I have not really noticed any rivalry where kayaks are concerned, apart from the good old Australian habit of knocking the crap out of everything and everyone including oneself. I love my Hobie as well as my wilderness systems Tarpon 120 and the odd cheapy I have in the shed. Maybe some people are getting a bit precious these days. I just go kayaking and if I catch a fish I am even happier. I love this site and have been entertained and informed by the lovely people on here. I do not believe THE BROTHERHOOD? is dying at all. If anything it is expanding, if you look at all the kayaking groups. Thank you all for just being here as sometimes you just don't know how much good you do by just posting. A big thanks to the Moderators also.
scorpio
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120. Hobie Outback no. 3.

Postby DoinStuffWithDino » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Hey there
The New Guy here.
Just read that article & can see similarities in what was written in other pastimes im involved in.
Bowhunting & archery in general comes to mind.
It's seams to be an social media thing I've found, in the field peeps are very welcoming & willing to help but I think something changes in peeps when they get behind a keyboard in a generally anonymous setting.
It's human nature to battle in 1 up-manship , mines better than urs, well mines faster , well my arrows penetrate better etc etc etc.
There is 1 common edict I've found amoungst hunters though it's the "never shit on another hunters way of hunting"!
Why?,,, because it gives the "Anti's" ammo to shit on us.
In my eyes,,, fisherman are hunters just like a rifle, bow, spear hunter or even just with a camera we are all hunting animals for food or to have a look & put back.
Maybe it's an idea fishos could adopt.
I dunno,, I'm just the new guy here & noticed some similarities.
Just a little thought.
I'm here to learn & discover & share on my channel,,, if some1 learns something from my ridiculousness then I'm winning I've done what I set out to do.
Anyway hope to catchs yas on the water,, maybe my kayak fishing will be more successful than my shore fishing,,, cos I suck at that.

Dino
DoinStuffWithDino
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Woolgoolga

Postby DoinStuffWithDino » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Hey there
The New Guy here.
Just read that article & can see similarities in what was written in other pastimes im involved in.
Bowhunting & archery in general comes to mind.
It's seams to be an social media thing I've found, in the field peeps are very welcoming & willing to help but I think something changes in peeps when they get behind a keyboard in a generally anonymous setting.
It's human nature to battle in 1 up-manship , mines better than urs, well mines faster , well my arrows penetrate better etc etc etc.
There is 1 common edict I've found amoungst hunters though it's the "never shit on another hunters way of hunting"!
Why?,,, because it gives the "Anti's" ammo to shit on us.
In my eyes,,, fisherman are hunters just like a rifle, bow, spear hunter or even just with a camera we are all hunting animals for food or to have a look & put back.
Maybe it's an idea fishos could adopt.
I dunno,, I'm just the new guy here & noticed some similarities.
Just a little thought.
I'm here to learn & discover & share on my channel,,, if some1 learns something from my ridiculousness then I'm winning I've done what I set out to do.
Anyway hope to catchs yas on the water,, maybe my kayak fishing will be more successful than my shore fishing,,, cos I suck at that.

Dino
DoinStuffWithDino
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Woolgoolga

Previous

Return to Main