New Hobie Mirage on the horizon? COMPASS!

This is the main discussion forum.

Re: New Hobie Mirage on the horizon? COMPASS!

Postby chris neill 1987 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 am

had a look at one, i thought that it was harder to handle due to not having the side grips. With an outback i could lift it onto the roof myself, i cant see the compass being easier.
chris neill 1987
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: newcastle, Lake Macquarie, hunter
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11

Postby Nativeman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 am

Yeah maybe right, I bought some grab handles to mount below the molded in grab recess. I will attach them in the seat cavity on center. But as I will be loading this right way up like a PA it won't be an issue for me. I use a rack and roll side load all my kayaks as I have back and shoulder issues now.
Last edited by Nativeman on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Compass, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Postby Grimbo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Congrats on the purchase. I’m looking forward to see how you set it up. Also looking forward to seeing what you think about it, once you take it for a spin.
Cheers
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby spork » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Interesting 'yak. Loved my revo and miss it. Love my PA - on the water. Not so much on the land...
Nativeman - keen to hear how these are for standing up on compared to PA (12) and Outback.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Postby Nativeman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks Guys I was going to take it out this week but the SE Winds are cranking. Will be taking it out to a dam on Sunday though. It's sitting here on the roof of my car beside the caravan and I can say the rear end is definately all PA. Drop down rudder, and a straight keel in front of the rudders that straightens out to a flat, a pontoon shaped hull on each side of the kayak. The crew from Sunstate Hobie unloaded a heap of them the day before and they all remarked at just how lighter they are when compared to a PA or Outback.

I had been longing to get back to a PA but I had apprehensions that the PA is hard to store and maneuver in my small backyard so this could well be the compromise I'm looking for, time will tell. Once I have had a day in it I will put up a review or pictures of my set up in the rigged kayaks on the forum.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby mickthe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:33 pm

I picked mine up this morning at Rivergate Hobie.

It’s very awkward to handle getting it off the car, accidentally set it down on the rudder, won’t be doing that again.

flipped mine over like with my old Outback so would love to know if yours is sitting nicely the right way up?!

I’ll be out in it next weekend and will report back, and pop up some photos.

Mick.
mickthe
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bris Vegas

Postby roastman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Someone else mentioned to me today they did the same thing (accidentally sat it on the rudder while loading). It is awkward to load, as it has no side handles, apart from the ridiculously small recessed handles near the seat. The weight is not bad and I can carry it OK, but it is too difficult to load on/off the car roof due to the length. I purchased a side loader from Sunstate to assist. I have mine upside down on the rack, as I figured there was no way I could damage the rudder loading it that way.

I spent an hour today installing the rectangular hatch and moving the round hatch. That was a really simple job and the hatches seem to sit well, so I don't anticipate any leaks. The gear rail is a bit tight with the accessories I purchased, but seems to be OK. I'll have it on the water tomorrow morning, so should be able to report on how it handles. I am taking a single rod and some soft plastics, but really am kayaking more than fishing tomorrow, until I get the hang of piloting my first Hobie.

The guys at Sunstate Hobie are absolutely fantastic. They offer a level of service that seems to be forgotten in most industries. I was a bit mystified as to how I was storing it, as Hobie don't recommend storing them on their side, which meant I cannot use my existing wall rack. However, thanks to my wife who is full of great ideas, I purchased two cheap ($17.50 each) saw horses from Bunnings, then lined the tops with thick rubber mat. I can now store the Hobie upside down on its gunnels, or flip it over temporarily if I need to work on it.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby Nativeman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:18 am

Yeah I had mine in the upright position on my racks, traveled well to get home.

i used my loader bar on the front rack and dropped the stern down first which made the rudder flex. So in future I will use the loading bar on the rear rack and put the stern up first and then the bow. Same result just have to use the rear rack instead of the front rack. I will use a rubber mat under the bow when loading and off loading. Yes the small recesses on the point of center are almost useless. My first Hobie way back was a Quest and it had the recessed handles but they were on the outside if the kayak so you could get your hands around it. When off the car I use the cart to move it and use the previous method as described to load it.

Apart from that I think the Compass will be a great kayak, first days fishing in it tomorrow or Monday.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby StevenM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:18 am

mickthe wrote:I picked mine up this morning at Rivergate Hobie.

It’s very awkward to handle getting it off the car, accidentally set it down on the rudder

Mick.

My PA has the large rudder and lands on it every time I load and unload.

I have seen the compass with the small H bars fitted just behind the slide tracks and that may assist with moving the yak

Logan and Albert Fish Management Association
http://www.facebook.com/lafma

Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association
http://www.facebook.com/SomersetWivenhoeFishStocking
StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 100, Hobie Quest 11,,Hobie PA & Tinny

Postby StevenM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 am

This one

066D4992-3C4F-441D-A98E-A0753A9F57CF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby roastman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:41 pm

StevenM wrote:This one

066D4992-3C4F-441D-A98E-A0753A9F57CF.jpeg

I think these are a must, for everyday moving of the kayak. Yes, you move the kayak on a trolley, but when flipping it upside down for storage, the recessed moulded in grips are useless. As the hull is smooth, it is near impossible to get a good grip when it is wet, if you need to flip the hull

Two of these will be going onto my shopping list. The only hassle will be if they get in the way when loading onto the roof, but if the hull travels OK on standard roofracks “right way up”, this should not make it harder to get on to the car.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby Nativeman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Yeah been thinking about them Steven, Mal told me they can be racked right way up. Been thinking of putting one of these handles on the rear end like the PA... In Time we will all come up with a solution
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby Nativeman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 pm

StevenM wrote:
My PA has the large rudder and lands on it every time I load and unload.

So Steven the wear strip om the PA is not the outermost point, and on the angle when loading/unloading the rudder flexes with the weight. Very Interesting, not only does it flex the rudder on the compass it has to putting extra pressure on the cables that steer the kayak.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby StevenM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 pm

With the larger rudder the two black stoppers do not touch together, only one side and the ruder.

Has not caused and issues so far and the PA is a heavy bastard as you know.

I don’t put a pad down, it’s concrete or bitchie

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby mickthe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 am

I was just going to retrofit some handles but the balance point of the Compass is in an awkward spot, the recessed drink holder on one side and something else on the other meaning there isn't an easy flat spot but I might still work on this.

I have the side loader and will be trying to lift it up Stern first so as to avoid rudder damage, and bow down first when unloading. Once you have a system going it's fine, I had to work one out with my Outback and it was a heavier kayak than this one.

Mick.
mickthe
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bris Vegas

Previous

Return to Main