New Hobie Mirage on the horizon? COMPASS!

This is the main discussion forum.

Re: New Hobie Mirage on the horizon? COMPASS!

Postby spork » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Any updates from COMPASS owners?
I'm not getting any younger (or fitter) and the PA seems to get heavier all the time.
I nearly always trailer it now, which wasn't what I wanted from a 'yak.
Had a look at the Compass at local HOBIE dealer and was suitably impressed. Will test drive one soon, and if I like it the PA will go up for sale and I'll get one of these.
That nice pointy bow and 10kg LESS than even an outback (IIRC they are even lighter than the Revo) are really tempting to me.
Even fully rigged (BIG battery, power pole, extra hatch, sounder, rod holders) It should be comparable to a bare bones outback, and way lighter than a PA12 with all the fruit.

A few specific questions:-
- Is there a rudder upgrade option - is it needed or does this steer and track well enough with std. rudder?
- How do ppl. find the funny little rudder control on these 'yaks?
- How does rear deck space compare with a PA12? Will my live well (eski - 615 x 390mm) fit? Will it fit in either direction or only lengthways?
- What mods have ppl. made to midships handles to make moving it around off the water easier? How well (or otherwise) have these mods worked?
- Is there ANY access to the inside of the hull at the rear, or only what you can reach from the centre hatch? I'd need to fit a through-hull fitting for power wire to power pole micro - is this even possible on this 'yak? Or is there room to fit an access hatch somewhere back there (would need a flat area).

If all this is covered in another tread would some kind person please pop a link up for me? Cheers. :wink:
Free-range fisherman.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Postby pdfarrell » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am

spork wrote:I'd need to fit a through-hull fitting for power wire to power pole micro - is this even possible on this 'yak?

There's always the Lithium battery pack for the power pole, which does away with any wiring..
Can't help with anything else though...

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby spork » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:29 am

pdfarrell wrote:
spork wrote:I'd need to fit a through-hull fitting for power wire to power pole micro - is this even possible on this 'yak?

There's always the Lithium battery pack for the power pole, which does away with any wiring..
Can't help with anything else though...

Cheers,
PF

I'm too tight for that, and already have a 45ah LiPo that runs all my electronics. :grin:
IF I can't add an assess hatch I may have to just use some saddle clamps and perhaps conduit and run the wire externally.
Free-range fisherman.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby roastman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 am

spork wrote:Any updates from COMPASS owners?
I'm not getting any younger (or fitter) and the PA seems to get heavier all the time.
I nearly always trailer it now, which wasn't what I wanted from a 'yak.
Had a look at the Compass at local HOBIE dealer and was suitably impressed. Will test drive one soon, and if I like it the PA will go up for sale and I'll get one of these.
That nice pointy bow and 10kg LESS than even an outback (IIRC they are even lighter than the Revo) are really tempting to me.
Even fully rigged (BIG battery, power pole, extra hatch, sounder, rod holders) It should be comparable to a bare bones outback, and way lighter than a PA12 with all the fruit.

A few specific questions:-
- Is there a rudder upgrade option - is it needed or does this steer and track well enough with std. rudder?
- How do ppl. find the funny little rudder control on these 'yaks?
- How does rear deck space compare with a PA12? Will my live well (eski - 615 x 390mm) fit? Will it fit in either direction or only lengthways?
- What mods have ppl. made to midships handles to make moving it around off the water easier? How well (or otherwise) have these mods worked?
- Is there ANY access to the inside of the hull at the rear, or only what you can reach from the centre hatch? I'd need to fit a through-hull fitting for power wire to power pole micro - is this even possible on this 'yak? Or is there room to fit an access hatch somewhere back there (would need a flat area).

If all this is covered in another tread would some kind person please pop a link up for me? Cheers. :wink:

I love the Compass. I’ve never had a Hobie before, so cannot compare it to other models.
* Rudder - the standard rudder seems to work really well, is easy to stow and seems to be fairly damage resistant (ran mine over some rocks without an issue)
* Rear well at its narrowest points is approx. 700 x 470 mm. PM me if you want more specific measurements and I can send you some pics
* I have added H-rails to the side for handing. Apart from making it easier to move around, it also gives you a grab rail when on the water. They do no impact on your ability to reach the rudder control.
* Access to the rear would not be easy. I have not yet seen anyone cut anything into the rear deck, but I believe some have fitted power poles. Join the Hobie Compass group on Facebook to get some tips
* I’ve added a centre hatch to mine and moved the original round hatch to the front. I fitted a sounder and placed the battery under my seat, to keep the centre of gravity lower, rather than the usual spot in the round hatch.
* I easily load mine using a Rhino Rack side loader. Due to the H-rails, it travels right way up on the roof rack. I’ve put some cheap roof rack pads on (work well and dirt cheap from Ebay), which it sits on without any damage. If you prefer to have it upside down, fit the Hobie standard handles, rather than the H-rails, as they may not clear your roof when the kayak is upside down
If you are in Brisbane and want to view mine, give me a yell.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby spork » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks Roastman!
Some great info there.
Not needing to upgrade the rudder is a bonus.
Sounds like my live-well/eski should fit. Will take actual Live-well to local Hobie dealer to make certain.
Will probably go for lower profile handles I think. I don't like much stuff mounted in front of the seat. Pretty much just the sounder, and that can go on the pre-installed track mount.
IF I proceed will def. put a square hatch in the centre and move the round one forward. Like you, my battery will be under the seat.
Will look at options for rear access hatch. Otherwise I guess some saddle clamps may be needed.
Thanks heaps for the offer - but I'm in Tassie. :wink:
Free-range fisherman.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby roastman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 pm

I watched a video this morning showing a power pole installation on the Compass. Hobie make a kit specifically for this yak.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby spork » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 pm

roastman wrote:I watched a video this morning showing a power pole installation on the Compass. Hobie make a kit specifically for this yak.

Got a link to vid?
Free-range fisherman.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby roastman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 pm

spork wrote:
roastman wrote:I watched a video this morning showing a power pole installation on the Compass. Hobie make a kit specifically for this yak.

Got a link to vid?

https://youtu.be/YyZ7_z91KCw

and this one from Hobie: https://youtu.be/FQVUgtBt2co

Hobie have a heap of “how to” videos loaded on their Youtube channel. I have fitted:
* 2 side pockets
* Rectangular hatch and bucket
* Dragonfly sounder/GPS
* Battery under seat
* H-rails
* Starport Gopro mount
* AMA Sidekicks
plus a couple of other small mods.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby spork » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 pm

Took one for a "test drive" today.
It was the shops so I didn't try loading and unloading from the roof-racks, but it sure is light compared to the OB and I'm confident it would be a dream to cartop (with the addition of a decent handle or 2 midships).
The side hand-grips are even worse than ppl say...
It tracked superbly. As well or maybe even better than by Revo 13 did. Better than the OB. Waaaaay better than my PA 12 (older pre-skeg model).
Not bad to paddle. Again, compared favourably with the revo, and way better than the other OB or the PA.
It was fast - and that was using standard fins. Keen to try with turbo fins!
Seat was comfy - much better than the seat on my OB or the aftermarket seat I had on the Revo. Haven't spent any real time in newer OB / Revo seats to comapre. Better than the old PA seats, but not as good as the Vantage seat. I did miss the armrests when standing up and sitting back down.
Standability: I'd hoped it would be better than the OB. But it isn't. I can comfortably stand on the OB on one leg and pedal with the other. I managed this on the Compass too, but it was much tippier feeling than the OB. I didn't expect it to come close to the PA in this regard.
Storage / space. I'd need the square centre hatch (add ~ $130) no question, and I'd miss the "chuck it all in" size of the front hatch compared to other Hobies, but could probably manage with a round hatch forward for some in-hull access / storage + the dog bed to stuff waterproof jacket etc. under. Rear deck considerably smaller than PA, but I'm sure it could accommodate cart, livewell (eski), rod holders and somewhere to jam my lure bag in. I managed on the OB and Revo, so would make this work also.

I know I'll miss the PA - but I won't miss the weight an the need for a trailer.

90% sure I'm going to sell it and buy a Compass.
Free-range fisherman.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby roastman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 pm

I’ve not had a PA, so cannot compare. The Compass is fast and reasonably stable, but certainly not as stable as I would like. After rolling mine, I added the AMA Sidekicks. While tipping the Compass was probably a freak event, the Sidekicks allow a ridiculous amount of stability. When the wind is down, it will allow me to stand and cast, which I would not consider otherwise.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Previous

Return to Main