Botany Bay Water Colour

This is the main discussion forum.

Botany Bay Water Colour

Postby musty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:48 am

Hi,

I was out on the bay on Sunday morning for a few hours and the water was very discolored... Like you would see after a couple of weeks of heavy rain.
I don't remember the last time we had a decent dump of rain so not sure what would have caused this. There was some rather large swell outside and it was rolling in through the bay at times, could this have caused the sediment to stir up?
The fishing was quiet, not even a tap on a variety of lures. Back up the river however, the water was clean, clear, there was some nibbles but there was also a fishing comp on it seemed as dozens of glorified speed boats zoomed around hunting for the popular Georges river iodine bream. :lol:

Anyway, thought it was weird as I have fished the botany bay for many years and not seen it discoloured like that without prolonged rain.
I hope anyone who got out did better than I did.

Musty
Fishing- ALWAYS a good decision!..
musty
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: My garage. I look at all my tackle and take a swig of my bottle....
Kayaks: Currently yakless.

Re: Botany Bay Water Colour

Postby nigel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:37 am

Hey musty previous big winds I was out from Yarra Bay sailing club learning I'm not as young & agile as I used to be (thought BFS count the waves she be right) anyway waves were close together as I jumped on to paddle into the oncoming breaker receding water from previous wave turned me side on & tara meet the SAND MONSTER yak back up the beach anyway not the first time I've miss judged it BUT sand coated my wet suit in my hair (what little I have left anyway :lol: ) up my nostrils etc my explanation the angry breakers were brownish in colour as they were churning up a the sand big time & I thing not giving it time to settle again before the next onslaught.Ok others came had a look & left I thought what the hell lets do it I got thrown around a bit but W.T.H,I'm 56 going on 16 & were all going to be a long time dead hope its calmer next Sunday.

Pommy Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: Stealth BFS 470 profisha 575

Postby Steve R » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Possibly its algae. The most interesting example I've been in was pink. It was like paddling in a massive strawberry milkshake. We have one now but it just discolours the ocean a little green and shows as a brown/green slick on the sand. All very natural and harmless and it absorbs carbon from the atmosphere I was told.

A google search brings up some different examples.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=algal+blooms+on+the+ocean&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFi6Hfgp_WAhWDTLwKHcmdBpYQ_AUICigB
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby Ozzybass » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:58 pm

Definitely the big swell. I was blackfishing the Yarra Bay/La Perouse area on Sunday and there was big swell inside the bay. Yarra Bay is normally pretty flat, being inside the Bay & protected by La Perouse but when the swell is big enough from the S or SE, the waves can either bounce around the bay or wrap around La Perouse/Bare Island. It was too rough to fish at Yarra Bay! I had to move. Some big shoredump there too! I noted how dirty the water looked on Sunday.
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Postby musty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 am

I guess it was the big swell...
The tide was low and had just started running in, there was a westerly wind of around 15 knots even though willyweather swore black and blue that it was only 9knots at Kurnell at the time- I know it was more than that because 12 knots is about the point where I get the shits... Anyway, that shallow sandy area off Sans Souci had barrelling waves 3-4 foot so you could of had a surf in the bay! Back out in the main channel outside the red marker wide off Towra it was still like a chocolate milkshake in 5m of water. Not sure if it was the sediment stirred up, the cold water temps, or maybe I'm just a shit fisherman but I didnt get a single touch out there.
Bring on summer! I'm craving some flathead fillets... :lol:

Musty
Fishing- ALWAYS a good decision!..
musty
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: My garage. I look at all my tackle and take a swig of my bottle....
Kayaks: Currently yakless.

Return to Main