Riles ... An incredible fisho who will be sadly missed

This is the main discussion forum.

Riles ... An incredible fisho who will be sadly missed

Postby arpie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi Guys

As difficult as it is to type this, I know that those of you who have enjoyed Riles' company on the water in the past or enjoyed his light hearted banter in his fishing reports (often with myself, Dave/Huggy and Norm) will be sad to learn that the cancer that took one of his kidneys mid 2016, travelled to his liver earlier this year & more recently to his brain. He is on some 'magic juice' and is comfortable & without pain - and up until a few days ago, he was fully lucid & enjoying hearing about everyone's big fish & was in as bright a spirit as only he could be - actually cracking jokes to make US (his family & friends) feel better but sadly, he is now near the end of his journey.

Throughout his cancer journey, he has been incredibly upbeat & almost jovial .... He was diagnosed with kidney cancer mid last year & had a kidney out. As soon as he could after, he got back into yak fishing - terrorising the lake bream, flatties, whiting, trevally & offshore, snapper & kings! He has thoroughly enjoyed all his visits from family & friends - with Dave/Huggy, Norm & I visiting daily - filling him in with our fishing tales - which he LOVES hearing.

He had a BALL fishing with Dave/Huggy at the KFNSW meet at Tuncurry back in 2015 .... they caught over 40 fish between them & Riles won the Biggest Whiting category ...... I should have followed THEM! :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45436

This is Riles with one of his many nice fish, this one was skull dragged out of the racks over in Tuncurry - his happy hunting grounds - on his preferred lure, The Greedy Guts - painted red with a permanent marker!
Riles Nice Bream P9160016.jpg

Did you know that he contacted Rob Searing/Zimman 18+ months ago and bought up all the remaining Greedyguts in A03 WITHOUT telling me :beye: ..... and then laughed at & with me about it?? We were just chatting about this last week! It brought a gleam to his eye! He LOVES his GGs .... especially the RRGG's - the Roberta Red Greedy Guts!! :lol: I was lucky enough to crack a bream pattern in Forster by painting them red with a permanent marker - that has accounted for hundreds of bream, flatties & whiting in the last 2-3 years!

Riles only moved to Forster in the last 2-3 years with his wife Paula & daughter Jacqui (from Orange) & had spent the last 2 years+ out in his yak (he was also new to yaks) & was quickly terrorising the bream & flatties & whiting of Forster/Tuncurry. He had always been a skilled diver/spear fisho/snapper/kingie fisho offshore, but soon he honed his inshore skills on bream/flattie/whiting - he even got out on his boat in mid July this year .... but sadly, that was the last time. He was out earlier this year, offshore, when he had a heavy fall on the boat & cracked some ribs, which definitely didn't help his health!

Riles' fishing tales are legendary - especially when he got stuck on the water in a nasty electrical storm last year & he had to take shelter in a Long Drop Toilet with Dave/Huggy on one of the islands in Wallis Lake. You can read about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45499&p=377538

In the same post, he got pinned badly by a treble & I was on hand to remove it ...... apparently I asked him to 'move your yak to the left' - he thought it was for me to get into a better position to remove the barb ..... but no - it was to get a better photo of the bloodied finger with the hook still in! :lol: We were laughing about this just last week!! I'd forgotten! :idiot:
Spiked Finger
P9160021.jpg

His sense of humour is epic. There has never been sledging like it before on KFDU between Riles & Huggy. Riles & Huggy fit RIGHT IN with the camaraderie of KFDU & we (as a forum) were the better off for it.

Here is a link to all his posts - even when he wasn't able to get out himself, he was still reading & replying to others' reports ......
search.php?author_id=33967&sr=posts

His family & friends have been by his side in the last few weeks that he has been in hospital & been recounting lots of fishing & hunting trips & other funny stories that only Riles could tell .... Paula (his wife) just said on Wed that she was SO pleased that they'd come to Forster when they did (instead of staying in Orange) - as he has had such a ball with his new friends, his yak & offshore fishing here in the last 2-3 years - something that they will look back on, with fond memories & lots of laughs.

This time last year, he was at the ABT Yak Bream Weigh ins (that starts tomorrow) and I will hopefully get there to watch on his behalf (tho I have now succumbed to the dreaded flu lurgy - having thought I'd missed it. :beye: )
With Michelle and New Knees2 at the ABT last year
Michelle, Newknees2, Chris.jpg

Checking out Plasman's lure.jpg

Dave & I will be passing on any 'best wishes' from his KFDU buddies to Paula and the family ..... as we had really become such a big part of his short time here in Forster/Tuncurry.

Our thoughts are with Paula and the family at this sad time

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arpie on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Riles is not well ... An incredible fisho who will be mi

Postby Ads22 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 am

Arpie thanks for sharing. That's terrible to hear. Having been on that ride with loved ones before, I know how hard it is. To all that know Riles I send my best wishes. To Riles, I'm saddened to not have had a chance to meet you. I wish you a peaceful journey through this final phase.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby pdfarrell » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:01 am

:cry:

Not good. So sorry to hear.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby Rory222 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:55 am

Such a sad shame to have a great character of KFDU losing his battle to a horrible disease.

While i never managed to cross paths with Riles on the water I had many a conversation with him through PMs talking all things fishing and a bit on life itself! He was fishing mad and loved a laugh.

My thoughts are with Riles and his family and friends at this sad time and i hope for as peaceful and positive a journey as possible.
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 60cm
Yellowbelly - 47cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 42cm
Whiting - 38cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm
Rory222
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Riverina & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

Postby Huggy1956 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Well written Roberta.
Yes, these are tough times for those who know Riles. He was the first person I played golf with and fished with when I moved to Forster three years ago. It seems like yesterday. We forged a bond like no other. He is such a colourful character and wears his heart on his sleeve.
Riles most wonderful attribute is his dedication to his family and his friends. Three weeks ago we were in different hospitals in Newcastle. Mine wasn't serious....his certainly was. When he caught up with me all he could say was "I was so worried about you". That's the sort of man he is.
He has taught me a great deal about fishing and I admire his passion for this wonderful sport. He would often creep out at 5 am to catch the incoming tide and still be on the water on dusk. When he got to the cleaning tables he would love to have a chat to anyone who walks by and more than once would give his fillets away to a passerby. He lives a chat as long as it's about fishing.
I visit Riles every day (as does Norm, Roberta and his family). It's so sad to see what this insidious disease has done to such a passionate wonderful human being.
Whilst the end is nigh the memories will live on forever.
Love you Riles :cry:
Flathead 75 cm
Bream 43 cm (2 centimetres bigger than Riles)
Whiting 38cm
Luderick 30 cm
Mullet 34cm
Trevalley 38cm
Long Tom (who cares)
Huggy1956
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wallis lakes, Forster
Kayaks: 9 foot fishing Kayak

Postby Mackayak » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Roberta it is tough times it is hard but remember the good times. Have a mate in similar situation nearly lost him a few weeks ago but better now. Be strong for them. Take care and our thought are with you all.
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 31.5cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 32cm;
Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

Postby Grimbo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:36 pm

In the words of Samuel Johnson, F Cancer!

My thoughts are with Riles and his family. Beautiful words Roberta, for one of KFDU's colourful characters.
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby Nativeman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:25 am

Rest in Peace Riles...

Roberta a wonderful tribute
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Compass, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Postby arpie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:39 pm

RIP Riles ..... Gone Fishin'
Last edited by arpie on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Riles ... An incredible fisho who will be sadly missed

Postby Ads22 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby Leper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear arpie, our thoughts are with all his family and friends! :cry:
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby Rory222 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 60cm
Yellowbelly - 47cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 42cm
Whiting - 38cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm
Rory222
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Riverina & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

Postby rocky » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Sorry to hear, our thoughts with all.

Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Postby yaqdoq » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:32 pm

st Peter will wish he had a rod .
yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo