Bundaberg Yak Fishing

This is the main discussion forum.

Bundaberg Yak Fishing

Postby johnh » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:48 pm

So it looks like I have seen my last Canberra winter and I'm on the move north to Bundaberg at the end of the year.

Any local Bundy yakkers on here? Where's some spots to launch to yak for a fish?
johnh
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra & NSW Far South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure Island & Revo 13

Re: Bundaberg Yak Fishing

Postby muzza111 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 am

Rocky and Ads22 are up that way , both around rockhampton from memory. Have a look in the estuary reports section, baffle creek, fitzroy river etc.
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm
muzza111
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

Postby Ads22 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:20 am

G'day johnh,

I'm in Rockhampton so not a huge help. I believe there are some Bundy folks around. Perhaps a lurker or two as well - I'd invite them to chime in here.

PA Pete is in the Bundy area so may have some ideas. Otherwise, Tackle World are pretty consistent with their reports and probably worth a chat.

Cheers,

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby Waipuna » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:18 am

Yeh you would consider me to be one of the lurkers from Bundaberg.....haha

You have an almost endless number of salt and freshwater options to choose from within reach of Bundy.

Some of my favourites include:

Skyringville - this is a vast waterway that is best accessed through a hole in the rock wall on the North bank of the Burnett River. The hole in the wall is a little down river from the sugar terminal at Burnett Heads. You can only get in and out at high tide otherwise you have quite a paddle to go out the mouth and paddle outside to or from Burnett Heads. The usual species you would expect in here including Jack, Flatties, Whiting and even the occasional Barra since the 2013 flood.

Kolan River - Usually I launch at a place called Booyan on the river here. It is probably about 10km to the river mouth from Booyn and some of the best saltwater river fishing in the region below the barrage, and head upstream and there are some interesting freshwater options too. Near the mouth I like to head up into the mangroves on the bigger tides and on the smaller tides when the tide run is not too fast the dead timber patches on the North bank can fish well.

Burnett Heads Coastline - There are mutliple reefs off shore along the coastline here and as you heads south toward Bargara there are some rocky cliffs edges with reef in front of them. Plenty of Mackeral, and Tuna around here in the right seasons, otherwise it is Bream and a range of reef species

Wuruma Dam - We usually head out to this dam for the red-claw which you can pull up in their hundreds when the water is warm. The dam is also stocked with fingerlings so can be good spot for Bass etc. This dam is near Monto about 2 hours West of Bundy.

Monduran Dam - This dam is on the Kolan River and is about 1 hour drive from Bundy. The dam is also stocked and is a pretty good spot to target Barra. The world record Barramundi has been caught on this dam.

lake Gregory - this is a freshwater dam about 20 minutes drive West of Bundaberg. It is a picturesque lake surrounded by pine plantation that we like to birdwatch in our kayak on but there can be some good fish here too. Picture freshwater wetlands with heaps of dead timbers etc.

Elliott River - Crystal clear water and blinding white sand are the feature here with again heaps of variety from open sand banks, rocky reef to estuary and mangrove habitat fishing options.

Honestly I really have only scratched the surface with all of the options in this little patch and the best part is that generally if you are avoiding a handful of peak holiday periods, you will have most of these spots completely to yourself. Without even trying I can already think of another dozen places to go. It really is a hotspot and a paradise for calm water kayak options.

For interest I drive a Hobie Oasis with a variety of options for moving it around including of course the paddles, but also mirage pedals, watersnake 24lb, and hobie mast/sail with large Finn Outriggers. I set it up differently every time I go out depending where I am going, the weather conditions, and what mood I am in.

I am sure you will enjoy this area when you get a chance to explore.

W
Waipuna
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: QLD - Bundaberg Region

Postby johnh » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:31 am

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Your setup sounds like you have all your options covered. I try and do something similar and have both my kayaks rigged with extras. I try and take as few extras as I can, as I found less is more with kayaks.

I’ll see you on water in the new year sometime.
johnh
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Ads22 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Great response Waipuna. You certainly make the area sound enticing, and many of those are on my list for a visit at some stage! Good luck with the move johnh. I may even sneak down to explore with you at some stage!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby johnh » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:11 pm

No problems, give me a yell in the new year. It will certainly be great to go fishing in July without the ice of Canberra.
johnh
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Waipuna » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Good on you John and Ads........whenever you are in the region let me know and I will be happy to show you around.

Cheers,
Brett
Waipuna
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: QLD - Bundaberg Region

Return to Main