First recapture certificate

This is the main discussion forum.

First recapture certificate

Postby Ads22 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 pm

I got my first recapture certificate for recapture of a tagged fish the other day. It happened to be the cod I caught from the bank while checking the pots on my recent Baffle trip! It was out for a grand total of 6 days before being recaptured in the same place. Pretty cool to get a recapture, but I fear this fish doesn't have a long life ahead of it! :roll:

I have just read a document on fish surveys from the Fitzroy Floodplain Lagoons from 2007, and a news article came up in my search. The article I found showed fish coming from Frogmore Lagoon, where I had a short paddle this afternoon to test adjustments to my new sounder, ending up at the Burnett River some 300+ km away. I have tagged one barra thus far in a nearby lagoon and am really interested to see if it survives long enough to be recaptured somewhere over yonder! Hopefully there will be many more tagged fish to come!

Cheers,

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: First recapture certificate

Postby dinodadog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 am

I have tagged a few thousand bass and still get excited when someone recaptures one.Some have been recaptured 1,2,3 and 4 times.

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
I am not a bass addict but I am very fond of them
dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: brisbane
Kayaks: Fish bandit +hobie outback

Postby Leper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 am

I have four of these and three of the fish just stayed where they were but one travelled an absolute mile including over a dam wall down the coast and up a new system!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby dinodadog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:13 am

I have had the same,Bris river,out in ocean, then up the north pine into south pine and I caught it at eatons crossing. Another one I tagged went over the wall NPD, out in the ocean, up the bris river to the bremmer river.

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Ads22 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 am

That's pretty cool guys. Certainly interesting to see the journeys they take! Even cooler that you caught again Dino! :cool:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby dinodadog » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:08 am

Interesting part I find is that not all fish grow the same in the same dam. Bit like us some grow tall some dont.

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby RAD » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:42 pm

I have now tagged around 200 Bass in a local system and from time to time I hear about recaptures of the fish that I have tagged and unfortunately I have even recaptured my our tagged fish which only shows 0 movement with some growth, it seems that a lot of the good data from tagged fish especially here in SEQLD happens after major floods which goes to show how much our natives rely on these events to move out of dams that they are stocked in and from system to system.
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

RAD
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

Postby dinodadog » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 am

Yes after heavy rain flows a certain amount of bass head for the dam wall, they can come from the other end of the dam, also a certain amount head for the incoming source of water to see what they can find.

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club

Return to Main