Pedal yak - Hobie/Pedalfish/Kings Kraft

This is the main discussion forum.

Re: Pedal yak - Hobie/Pedalfish/Kings Kraft

Postby Nativeman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:05 am

Yep, I pedal mine to shore, usually a bout of quick propulsion. Then gliding to the bank with my legs fully extended which makes the fins almost flat to the underside of the hull, there is also a occy strap with a hook in front of the drive that allows you to lock the drive in this position, also good when u are setting up as the fins will be alway be pointing down if they are not locked in with the strap. Same when entering the water I have my drive locked in with the strap until such time there is ample water. so I would have my paddle in hand to go out further.

It depends on the user, I glide in, others may take their drive out and glide in or paddle in.

I will add at the same time coming to the bank I lift up the rudder by pulling on the up hall which is in front of your seated position.

As you are looking, consider buying a second hand Hobie. Sunstate Hobie have a large range of second hand kayaks for sale at the Sunshine Coast store, http://www.sunstatehobie.com.au/used-hobie-kayak-cats/

As you are on a budget you might be able to get youself in to an even better kayak for the dollars you have. I bought a secondhand Quest 11 last year from them and it was like new.

Cheers
Last edited by Nativeman on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Compass, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Postby roastman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:10 am

Thanks again Nativeman!
roastman
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby roastman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:05 pm

I am basically down to the Hobie Mirage Compass and the Perception Pescador Pilot 12. I have seen the Pescador Pilot and it looks great. Hull quality is a real upgrade over my current kayak. It is is big in comparison to what I am using, so it will be a lot more work loading etc. The Hobie is a similar size and weight, so no real gains there. The Pescador Pilot has more features out of the box ($2595 including C-Tug trolley, Railblaza rod holder, plenty of storage, reverse drive etc). Hobie has less features and will cost me more to fit out, has no reverse, but has a very passionate fan base. The reviews on the Pescador are also very good, albeit their drive had some early issues for which the company responded well and replaced the drives. I will look at the Compass later in the week and make my decision.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby MarkinBrissy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:52 pm

roastman wrote:I am basically down to the Hobie Mirage Compass and the Perception Pescador Pilot 12. I have seen the Pescador Pilot and it looks great. Hull quality is a real upgrade over my current kayak. It is is big in comparison to what I am using, so it will be a lot more work loading etc. The Hobie is a similar size and weight, so no real gains there. The Pescador Pilot has more features out of the box ($2595 including C-Tug trolley, Railblaza rod holder, plenty of storage, reverse drive etc). Hobie has less features and will cost me more to fit out, has no reverse, but has a very passionate fan base. The reviews on the Pescador are also very good, albeit their drive had some early issues for which the company responded well and replaced the drives. I will look at the Compass later in the week and make my decision.

Hi roastman,
I originally upgraded from a 10ft paddle yak to a 14ft paddle yak which was a huge difference in ease of paddle and speed.
Then I bought a Perception Pescador Pilot early this year and absolutely love it!
Pedalling is easy to cover distances at a comfortable clip. Speed is great. The raised seat is awesome, comfortable enough to sit in 7hrs straight with no probs.
I have had no problems with the parts on the yak and, as you mentioned, the company has been quick to respond to its early problems which is a big tick for me.
The hull is light enough to roof top. I am short and loading it onto a 4wd so I am rear loading using an extendable roller.
I love using reverse and use it a fair bit I have found.
You can get some good deals on this yak if you look around.
Good luck in your search!
MarkinBrissy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane, Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Perception Pescador Pilot, Viking Profish 400

Postby roastman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks Markinbrissy

This is harder than I thought, as I believed there would be one clear winner. Too close to call at the moment! I will look at the Hobie, but weight may decide in the end. The Hobie states it is 31kg without the pedal drive and seat, which is most likely OK for me to lift onto the car roof. The Pescador Pilot 12 states 38 kg, but nobody has been able to tell me if that is rigged weight. If unrigged, that would push the rigged weight into the high 40’s, which is too much for me to lift (without mechanical assistance) on a regular basis. I’ll be able to decide once I have seen the Hobie later in the week.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby roastman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 am

MarkinBrissy wrote:
roastman wrote:I am basically down to the Hobie Mirage Compass and the Perception Pescador Pilot 12. I have seen the Pescador Pilot and it looks great. Hull quality is a real upgrade over my current kayak. It is is big in comparison to what I am using, so it will be a lot more work loading etc. The Hobie is a similar size and weight, so no real gains there. The Pescador Pilot has more features out of the box ($2595 including C-Tug trolley, Railblaza rod holder, plenty of storage, reverse drive etc). Hobie has less features and will cost me more to fit out, has no reverse, but has a very passionate fan base. The reviews on the Pescador are also very good, albeit their drive had some early issues for which the company responded well and replaced the drives. I will look at the Compass later in the week and make my decision.

Hi roastman,
I originally upgraded from a 10ft paddle yak to a 14ft paddle yak which was a huge difference in ease of paddle and speed.
Then I bought a Perception Pescador Pilot early this year and absolutely love it!
Pedalling is easy to cover distances at a comfortable clip. Speed is great. The raised seat is awesome, comfortable enough to sit in 7hrs straight with no probs.
I have had no problems with the parts on the yak and, as you mentioned, the company has been quick to respond to its early problems which is a big tick for me.
The hull is light enough to roof top. I am short and loading it onto a 4wd so I am rear loading using an extendable roller.

Hello again

What areas do you tend to fish? Can you give your thoughts on how it copes with chop etc please? Any issues with weed choking the prop?
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby roastman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Decision made..... I was really, really impressed with the Pescador Pilot 12 and the advice I received from Drazen at Freak Sports Australia. However, the Hobie is really light and minimalistic, which is what I am looking for. User reviews for both are bot exceptionally good and I suspect that many people would be uncertain about which to buy.

Mal at Sunstate Hobie has been great to deal with as well. When he sent me pics of the freshly unwrapped Compass, my decision was made. His pics are far more informative than anything I have seen on reviews. His advice over the phone was appreciated. I wish one of the dealers (either Freak Sports or Sunstate Hobie) had been difficult or obnoxious, as it would have made the decision easier! They were both excellent and both kayaks look great. Feedback on both is also great.

I am sure I won't regret my decision to buy Hobie, but think that anyone who buys either of these kayaks will be very pleased.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby roastman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 pm

roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby Cubits » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Glad you've done the legwork on this topic! My dad has just shown interest in getting a pedal yak, and as a paddler i had no idea where to start.

He was keen on a hobie, and it looks like Sunstate is just down the road! Great timing! :)

BTW, what kind of cruising speed do you guys get out of something like the revolution 13? Most pedal yaks i've seen have basically been small bass-boats/standing platforms, but the revo is nicely narrow and off-shore looking.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Postby MarkinBrissy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 pm

roastman wrote:
MarkinBrissy wrote:

Hi roastman,

Hello again

What areas do you tend to fish? Can you give your thoughts on how it copes with chop etc please? Any issues with weed choking the prop?

Hi roastman.
the quoted weight is with the pedal drive, so the hull would be low 30s at most, the drive has a bit of weight to it.
I have had the yak in some crappy conditions (not surf though) and it was very stable. I was in the bris river when the tangalooma ferry went past and didnt notice until I was side on to a 1.5m wash (i was in a shallow area). I thought I was a goner for sure but it handled it fine.
Do a you tube search for "does it flip?" a guy tests out quite a few yaks in his pool trying to get them to flip. You'll see him standing on the pilot and trying hard to flip it. He falls out in the end from his own imbalance!
Had very few weed encounters. WHen I have hit some weed, a quick reverse of the drive spits it out most of the time. When it has needed clearing it's easy access after tilting the drive up and grabbing the weed off the prop.
MarkinBrissy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane, Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Perception Pescador Pilot, Viking Profish 400

Postby roastman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was a bit misled by information online into thinking they are on the heavier side. Freak Sports told me roughly 35 kg, but they contacted me mere moments after I had ordered the Hobie. If they are 35 kg without seat and drive, that is still a fraction heavier than the Hobie, which is 31kg. The Pescador Pilot looked great and the reverse feature was a real winner, but the weight issue tipped me towards the Hobie. I think you’ve made a great choice. I was really struggling to decide and in the end just made a decision so that I could stop debating the merits of each kayak. I think you have definitely won on value, without sacrificing quality. If Perception had been able to clarify the weight for me, I probably would have gone the other way.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby Nativeman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Cubits wrote:
BTW, what kind of cruising speed do you guys get out of something like the revolution 13?

Cubits no idea of top speed as I am more of a casual pedal fella these days, however I just traded my Revolution 13 today at Sunstate Hobie at the Sunshine Coast store. So if you or anyone wants a 2016 Revolution 13, a very little used kayak at a cheaper price, contact them.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Compass, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Postby roastman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:01 pm

To add to this tale, I had confirmation from the importers of the Pescador Pilot it weighs in at 32 kg with the drive and seat removed. If I had received the information a fraction earlier, it would have swung me over to that model. I am sure I will be extremely happy with the Hobie, so I have no regrets, but thought I better post this so the correct information is out there....
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby laneends » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Nativeman wrote:
Cubits wrote:
BTW, what kind of cruising speed do you guys get out of something like the revolution 13?

Cubits no idea of top speed as I am more of a casual pedal fella these days, however I just traded my Revolution 13 today at Sunstate Hobie at the Sunshine Coast store. So if you or anyone wants a 2016 Revolution 13, a very little used kayak at a cheaper price, contact them.

Depends on your fitness. There is also a difference between top speed and ease of keeping it up. Most hobies there is only small differences in top speed between the models, but the sleeker models are less effort so you can sustain cruise speed longer, especially as conditions deteriorate. If you are doing about 5km/h you can probably do that for hours without even thinking about it (once you are used to it). 6-7km/h is most peoples fast speed (that is deliberately making an effort), but only those who have a lot of hours under their belt and fitness would keep it over a prolonged distance. Flat out short bursts you are getting up to 9-10km/h, but cant maintain that for long.

So why does speed matter? Mainly because at times you may have to deduct strong tide and or wind off this, so an ability to MAINTAIN a fast cruise may be the difference between making any headway or not.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby katostrom » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Just a quick update on the Kings Kraft.
Maiden voyage yesterday. Roof loads ok right side up from rear of vehicle ( Nissan patrol wagon so quite high) , an initial problem loading this way due to rear rudder (same as mentioned in the hobie compass thread). After a few trials have made up a small self standing poly pipe frame to support the rear off the ground while lifting, just slide a rod through rear handle to fix and it's off the ground and swinging, then just slide up on nylon mats. Bit flimsy so may make up something solider but works great.
Pedal drive slots in (and out) easy once enough water depth and pedals fine, yes a bit noisey when powering along but ok when just pedal slow, poss get a bit quieter when wears in a bit, paddles ok for a largish beamy craft. Stable and roomy (for me anyway used to a small kayak), turns good once underway, seat adjusted on the fly so now set, did a bit of fishing and all fittings seem OK to use. Very early days but seems all ok so far, feels a bit strange to me used to low sitting/paddling small kayak, may take a bit of time adjust.
katostrom
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Hunter Valley
Kayaks: Mirage 530, 14' glass canadian, ebay 2.8m SOT

PreviousNext

Return to Main