my 13ft revolution

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.

my 13ft revolution

Postby revolt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 am

I bought my revolution a few months ago. Since buying it I have added hobie side kicks this was a great move I mainly use it off shore and the added stability is a big plus. I recently fitted an 18lb watersnake trolling motor I only run it at low speed setting and even find this is probably a bit too fast for trolling but still a great addition. I have a 30ah Agm battery which gives hours of running time without adding too much weight. My next purchase is going to be a sounder with Gps. I only will be fishing in water with maximum depth of about 20 mts. I am after advice on what to buy. Been looking at Lowrance elite 4x on utube are they any good. I want something which will give good picture of bottom structure and fish. I am on a budget so price under 300 prefered. Open for recommendations.cheers Rev
revolt
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: adelaide

Re: my 13ft revolution

Postby Marty75 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 am

In that price point I'd try something like a Lowrance Hook 2 5x. GPS plotting capabilities without maps.
Marty75
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 am

A lot of people on this forum have not had a good run with Lowrance on kayaks - me included.

Worth looking at the equivalent Garmins as they seem to be more durable.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby Zonbie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:35 pm

I too have had problems with Lowrance units. I am also now a happy Garmin user. I would definitely give them a look......... Easy to read in the sun too.
Zonbie
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: northern rivers and bribie
Kayaks: Had an Outback then a Nemo now a Finn Fisher, a Wahoo & a Pypen

Postby Paulioq » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:54 pm

I know its more then your budget but I got a simrad go5 and me thinks its a tip top unit. seem to only use side scan now with the chart and don't know how I ever fished with out (all of Morton bay is less then 20m and most places I fish are only 5m). have a look at boatingandrv.com.au they seem to be well priced. check the charts some of the cheap gps units are just that gps position with no chart. navionics is a comprehensive chart but garmin use c chart go in the shop and have a look. I thought I only wanted a cheaper unit but after seeing what a good sounder chartplotter(not just gps unit) can do I decided to shell out the extra. it will make a difference in your fish bag at the end of the day
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

Postby Foghorn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Have a hook2 4, no maps but gives me a good view of the bottom and fish,
Foghorn
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW

Postby revolt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Trying picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
revolt
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: adelaide

Postby Slick Mick » Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Stripped the Lowrance 4 Elite Chirp and transducer out of the second hand Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra I just bought and replaced it with a Garmin Striker Plus 4 which also conducts and records contour mapping of your favourite fishing ground. Much better unit, neater/thinner cables and all round excellent connectors for both power and sonar, not the bullsh.t Lowrance ones that are prone to bending pins, insecure and also prone to serious corrosion. Have had three Lowrances on three different fishing kayaks...never, ever again!

garmin resize.jpg
garmin resize 2.jpg

Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).
Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra, Stellar & Fenn Surfskis, Vajda K1

Return to Rigged Kayaks