Rigged Mini-X

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
Magoo031
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Boambee, Bonville, Bello river
Kayaks: Mini-X

Re: Rigged Mini-X

#16 Post by Magoo031 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Zelko
It has so far.

Jigga
I haven't been outside in it. I stick to the estuaries. Probably be ok on a calm day.

paperboy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Old Bar - mid north coast
Kayaks: prowler 4.1's elite & utra

#17 Post by paperboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:51 am

Hi ,I usually just read but having a mini x myself I thought maybe I could contribute .I take it outside whenever possible only problem I have is I need small swell as it does not punch through waves they tend to just pick it up & carry it backward even on fairly small whitewash.Once out however its as safe as houses as it floats like a cork & is stable as ,I haven't been to wide as the further you go the lonelier it gets but have come home a couple of times in fairly solid wind & never had any concern.If you aren't in any hurry it will get you there & back no worries.
Sorry if I bang on but I have a question about the sounder ,does your cop a spray when you paddle & if so is it ok for them to get wet ? I ended up screwing the mount on the underside of the centre hatch with keeps it dry and just flip it up when i want a look, but that has its drawbacks
Cheers ( this is kinda fun eh )

Kevinnugent
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler 12

#18 Post by Kevinnugent » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 am

paperboy wrote:Hi ,I usually just read but having a mini x myself I thought maybe I could contribute .I take it outside whenever possible only problem I have is I need small swell as it does not punch through waves they tend to just pick it up & carry it backward even on fairly small whitewash.Once out however its as safe as houses as it floats like a cork & is stable as ,I haven't been to wide as the further you go the lonelier it gets but have come home a couple of times in fairly solid wind & never had any concern.If you aren't in any hurry it will get you there & back no worries.
Sorry if I bang on but I have a question about the sounder ,does your cop a spray when you paddle & if so is it ok for them to get wet ? I ended up screwing the mount on the underside of the centre hatch with keeps it dry and just flip it up when i want a look, but that has its drawbacks
Cheers ( this is kinda fun eh )
I won't hijack the thread, but just about all sounder head units like this are waterproof. I got a Humminbird 150x the other day. Got plenty of spray - and should survice a capsize too.

Actually, I looked them up. I'm assuming this is the Eagle Cuda 300? If so:

Hands-free ASP™ operation, GRAYLINE®, Advanced Fish I.D.™, FishTrack™
Completely sealed and waterproof, even for use in harsh saltwater environments
Full one-year warranty
Simple to use with excellent performance and resolution at a fantastic low price with the new, affordable Cuda® 300 fishfinder!
Cheers,
Kevin

Magoo031
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Boambee, Bonville, Bello river
Kayaks: Mini-X

#19 Post by Magoo031 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 pm

I used to throw the rag over the sounder while I paddled, then I made a small clear cover that slips over it. Not waterproof but keeps the splashes off. My head unit is the same one from my boat and that gets rained on constantly. I should really be checking the weather more thoroughly but the jewies are calling.....

As I can't help myself and have to tinker with everything I've made a small box/shelf thing out of chopping boards that goes over the top of the sounder so that now keeps the splashes off.

I'll try and take a pic.

gns
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: sydney

#20 Post by gns » Sun May 20, 2012 12:54 pm

[quote="Ghillie"]Glad it worked alright, I was a little sceptical about the line thickness but I guess it really doesn't have a lot of weight to hold since kayaks are relatively light, especially in water, I have been looking at my local Bunnings for a while now hoping they would get the $13 one in stock but to no avail, may have to get the $25 Hills one instead. Again a great idea mate, one that I am looking forward to using on my yak.

Cheers[/quote

Yes great idea,,,, those retractable cloths lines are in Aldi at the moment (20th May) for $10 if anyone happens to be doing it. I might have to go back down and buy myself one!

Ghillie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Shoalhaven
Kayaks: Moken 10 Angler deluxe (desert cammo)

#21 Post by Ghillie » Tue May 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Ended up buying one from Bunnings, well before ALDI got them in stock, and I must say it is an awesome setup, one handed drop and raise of the anchor and no messy line on the deck, best idea ever. I may have to try the line reversal method and have the anchor drop from the rear so I can face down current.

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”