Mini X motor install

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.

Mini X motor install

Postby Magoo031 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 am

Couldn't help myself when BCF had the JW ASP T18 on special for $99.

Pretty happy with the way it's turned out.

All works perfectly in the shed, steering, motor lift cable, controls etc. Hopefully wet run in the pool this weekend and sneak out at Bonville next week for a full shakedown run.

Running a deep cycle 10 ah I had on hand at the moment, probably upgrade that to around a 15-20 ah eventually.

Before all the kayak purist's jump on me about motors on kayaks I did this because I wanted to and I wanted the challenge. I'm a fishing nut, not a kayak nut.

Got most of my ideas from this forum so I thought I'd share.

Motor back.jpg

Motor down 2.jpg

The motor mount bracket was the biggest challenge. Ended up using the rear handle mount inserts and an L bracket from bunnings bent to the profile of the handle scupper. With some slightly longer screws I managed to refit the handle as well.
Mount bracket.jpg

Forward foot control
Foot control.jpg

Steering and motor raising lines, I used 1.7 mm dyneema cord @ 75 c a meter from the Chandlery. The cords run through the hull inside 4mm plastic irrigation line using the end caps for same drilled with a 2 mm hole for the cord to pass through. I used a bit of vasolene on the cords around where thay pass through the hull but it actually runs very smooth anyway.
Rear cable entry.jpg

Front steering line.jpg

I used a standard 10 amp plug to get the 3 control wires from the leg to the control head. I know the motor pulls about 13-14 amps but my sparky mate assured me that they'll handle much more than that.
Motor connection.jpg

I've put the motor lift on my left, pull the shackle and clip on to the existing point.
Motor lift line.jpg

Motor lifted.jpg

I used some eye bolts in the steering to allow some adjustment for cord stretch or if I want to run the motor at a differnt height.
Steering setup.jpg

Hope this give you some ideas......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magoo031
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Boambee, Bonville, Bello river
Kayaks: Mini-X

Re: Mini X motor install

Postby WayneD » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Awesome job there champ!! Looks schmick as.
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10
WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Postby mcnphoto » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Nice one mate i'm all for adding electrics dont pay any mind to the flat earthers, how much swing on the steering do you get does it get close to a 180degree arc?
mcnphoto
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast (Old Bar)
Kayaks: Viking Tempo

Postby Magoo031 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Hey Mark,

I've only got it about 45 deg each way. I wasn't sure about whether too much steering angle would try and roll the yak in the wrong situation.

I've got the option to increase that if I need to with a bit tweaking.
Magoo031
KFDU Angler

Postby mcnphoto » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Yeah mate extend it you wint have issues and you will turn heaps tighter i go lock to lock all the time, you wont regret being able to turn tightly. Another thing i would suggest to you is to get a bigger battery splash out on and 85ahr youll kill that little one real quick, the mini will handle the weight fine, Ive helped set up about 20 yaks now for the local kayak shop smallest battery to date is an 85.

Im doing a mini x for owzat a member her tomorrow. Yours looks good mate well done.
mcnphoto
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast (Old Bar)
Kayaks: Viking Tempo

Postby Magoo031 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Cheers Mark,

I've got an 85 ah in the boat but I didn't want to put too much weight in. (30 kg)

I'm only ever out in the yak for 2-3 hours, any longer and I'll take the boat.

I was hoping to get away with a 20 odd ah. The t18 pulls about 13-14 amps on high so a 20 ah should get me around 80-90 mins non stop on high. Does that sound right?

I'm heading out to the shed now to tweak that steering, I like the idea of turning a bit tighter.

Can't wait for the maiden voyage!
Magoo031
KFDU Angler

Postby Gozzy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Awesome job mate.
Super neat.
Gozzy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Phillip Bay
Kayaks: Hobie Outback 2 x chinese mini x copys and a Wavedancer Echo

Postby Magoo031 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:41 am

Maiden voyage yesterday at Bonville.

Motor went awesome, about 4 kph on low, 5-6 kph on high on my GPS apps (while trolling a hardbody). Couldn't believe how fast it pushed me along.

Steering was easy, after much stuffing around to try and get a bit more than 45 deg each way I gave up. Turning circle is about 6-7 metres which on the water seemed pretty good. Hooked a couple of flatty while trolling, put in full turn and turned back towards them with ease. Bit tighter turn would be nice but too much stuffing around to get it.

I normally troll at paddle speed which I guess is about 3-4 kph. Low speed was definitely quicker than I paddle but I'd actully hit both the flatty after I'd clicked up to high to check speed readings. I thought it would have been a bit fast for flatty.

Reverse is a problem though. The T18 come with a closed clip as a hold down. I cut this and left enough for a bit of a detent so it clicked in. I'll have to come up with better solution if I want to use reverse. Any ideas????

Pics below of maiden voyage.
untitled photo 0021.jpg

untitled photo 0022.jpg

untitled photo 0023.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magoo031
KFDU Angler

Postby BATMAN » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:40 am

she is sssoooc cute!

:lol: :lol:
BATMAN
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Old Town Vapour 10

Postby Gyro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi Magoo you might find a better steering lock if you bring the eye bolts further out from the motor shaft which gives you a different radius to your pull points see how it goes iam doing a mini x motor mount at this present time for a freind of mine the more turn you get the better you have a good set up there anyway Tight Lines Gyro
Gyro
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast

Postby Magoo031 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi gyro,
I've moved the Steering bar all over the place, packed it out, tried a few different lengths but it would only give me a few more degrees but increased the friction in the lines so I've found a happy medium at about 45 degs each way. I've sorted a lock down method too so reverse should be good now.

Going for a proper run tomorrow. Launching at Raleigh for a few hours after lunch.

Fingers crossed for some fish.
Magoo031
KFDU Angler

Postby yantabulla » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Nice work,

Anything that gets us out on the water is good.

Just slow down when you go past me so I don't fall out of my kayak.

Yanta
All setbacks are temporary
yantabulla
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 & 13

Postby Magoo031 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 am

After 3 hrs on the water on Sunday I was stoked, new 32 ah (8.1 kg) battery used about 50-60 %.

Covered way more ground than my mate without a motor and caught twice as many fish.

Steering angle was good enough but I had another idea about how to improve it and managed to double the angle with the addition of a couple of pulleys at the foot control, basically same movement now doubles the steering cable pull.

Reverse lockdown works perfect and added a small rudder to the bottom of the motor, i'll add some pics of these later.

Steering pulley 1.JPG

Steering pulley 2.JPG
Magoo031
KFDU Angler

Postby Magoo031 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Rudder and hold down line to allow reverse.
Rudder.JPG

Hold down 1.JPG

Hold down 2.JPG
Magoo031
KFDU Angler

Postby Hqheath » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Wow magoo. That's an awesome set up. A lot of thought has gone into that. It's great when you get a picture in you mind of how you want something to turn out and you put it into practice and it turns out all good. :grin:
Well done

Cheers Heath
Heath Douglas
Hqheath
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Seak 3m Sit in

Next

Return to Rigged Kayaks