New kayak for a big bloke

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.

New kayak for a big bloke

Postby lakemacyakkers1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Gday Lads.
I am looking at upgrading after a month of having a kayaks2fish yak for 349 it just simply does not cut as im about 510 and 130kg i need something that has a good payload and will give me pretty decent freeboard however i dont really want to break the bank. Any help is appreciated ✌.
lakemacyakkers1
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Nsw

Re: New kayak for a big bloke

Postby shappy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:13 am

hey mate, depending on how much you want to trade off on weight, loading and unloading, transporting. the biggest for the lower price off the top of my head would be maybe a viking tempo, dream kayak beast to start with.
i'm sure some more people have some good recommendations to add!
shappy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: redlands
Kayaks: dragon Kayak 2.5 double, PA14

Postby rocky » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:24 am

x2 for the Viking tempo, used to have one and they are a big bus but a good solid useable yak. They have good storage and can carry the weight easily. The only change you may need to make is a bigger rudder as the standard one doesn't cut it, I had a bigger rudder on the yak I had.
Hope this helps. You should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price, just have to wait till one comes up for sale.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Postby Dodge » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Tempo would be ideal and you should find an old one at a good price mate.

Try a post, Tempo Wanted in the Classified section
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby lakemacyakkers1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:30 pm

shappy wrote:hey mate, depending on how much you want to trade off on weight, loading and unloading, transporting. the biggest for the lower price off the top of my head would be maybe a viking tempo, dream kayak beast to start with.
i'm sure some more people have some good recommendations to add!
lakemacyakkers1
KFDU Angler

Postby SgtBundy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:41 am

I know you don't want to break the bank, but I will go there anyway - Hobie PA12 or PA14. I am about 6'1 and around 140kg, so had some experience with this.

I used my Dad's outback for a year or so and while it worked fine, I always felt like I was pushing the limits of it especially when I added a live bait tank on the back. It would very ride low at the back sometimes and I didn't feel like I had much play with stability. I have a PA14 and its significantly better (provided you keep an eye out for wake waves). I imagine the PA12 would be similar, a little cheaper and lighter to wrangle though.
SgtBundy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW

Postby pdfarrell » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:29 am

James at HWS has a good second hand yak for sale...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/860977180 ... 8716465978

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby lakemacyakkers1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:14 pm

SgtBundy wrote:I know you don't want to break the bank, but I will go there anyway - Hobie PA12 or PA14. I am about 6'1 and around 140kg, so had some experience with this.

I used my Dad's outback for a year or so and while it worked fine, I always felt like I was pushing the limits of it especially when I added a live bait tank on the back. It would very ride low at the back sometimes and I didn't feel like I had much play with stability. I have a PA14 and its significantly better (provided you keep an eye out for wake waves). I imagine the PA12 would be similar, a little cheaper and lighter to wrangle though.

Thats my current issue i have. I am way way way to low in the water so at the slightest bit of chop ive got a wet axx and the compartment at the back is filling up with water.
Appreciate the help guys, its hard decision to invest the.money and be happy with the result haha
lakemacyakkers1
KFDU Angler

Postby Gunny » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Mate. I have just upgraded to a PA 14, My other yak is a malibu x factor. I am 6 foot 5 and 140kgs and had no problems at all with it.

I would definitely recommend for a bigger guy.
Gunny
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Pine Rivers
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler 14

Postby lakemacyakkers1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Gunny wrote:Hi Mate. I have just upgraded to a PA 14, My other yak is a malibu x factor. I am 6 foot 5 and 140kgs and had no problems at all with it.

I would definitely recommend for a bigger guy.

Im having trouble finding a dealer within 100km of me that sellss vikings etc. I like the glide xfk 4200 at bcf has anyone used one ?
lakemacyakkers1
KFDU Angler

Postby Tacklejunkie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:16 pm

I am 5'11 and 132kg. I looked for ages and bought the wrong kayak first time around.

I now have a feelfree Lure 13.5 it is super stable and feels like I am not sinking it at all.

Easily holds the weight - I feel I could easily add a 20kg battery and trolling motor without any problems at all.

Currently the water never even enters the scuppers - I love this Kayak and would highly recommend for a big guy.
Tacklejunkie
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney

Postby Surfingant » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Another vote for the tempo, I owned one for 4 years, put it through hell and it loved it. I'm near on 6' and come in at 120kg and was more than comfortable on it, took it everywhere from skinny creeks to the brissy river in amongst all the traffic and not once felt uneasy. You can pick them up on gumtree for a good price too.
Surfingant
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: SE Qld
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler 14

Postby roddosnowed » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:08 pm

this is my first post... hi

lakemacyakkers asked for dealer info....

I had a good Experience today at the local viking dealer on the Central Coast.... https://kayakcentralcoast.com.au/ ....FYI i am not affiliated with them in any way...

They are really nice people and very helpful, i rang them on Tuesday to see if they would order me in a Ultra Trek PFD, i needed it by Friday and it would have to come to them from the supplier in Melbourne.

it came in today an i picked it up at lunch. such great service i will certainly return there in the future.

I can also vouch for the quality of the Viking kayaks, i have an 8 year old Profish 45 which is still going strong... great Yaks.

Cheers,
roddosnowed
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Central Coast
Kayaks: Viking Pro Fish 45

Return to Rigged Kayaks