New kayak for a big bloke

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra, Stellar & Fenn Surfskis, Vajda K1

Re: New kayak for a big bloke

#16 Post by Slick Mick » Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 pm

I am 5'10 and range between 115-120kg. After having just about every Hobie and Stealth glass boat you can think of I recently bought a second hand Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra with a Lowrance 4X Elite Chirp,rudder, trolley, rack and roll and other bits and pieces thrown in for just over $1K on Gumtree. This type of boat will easily take your weight. Should have got one of these years ago and would have saved me thousands. Love the green meanie.

The thing is mate, they exist online. You just need to know what you want (need) Viking, Ocean Kayak and Tarpon, you won't go wrong.

Mick
IMG_E3658_Small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Slick Mick on Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Re: New kayak for a big bloke

#17 Post by Cubits » Wed May 23, 2018 6:49 pm

The ocean kayak design guys moved over to viking when the company was sold to the US, so there's a lot in common between the designs (like the big centre well). The OK ultra's flipover centre well lid is a very neat feature though!

Both OK and Viking tend to put the centre of volume further back than other designs which is a huge help to us heavier blokes. In less thought-through yaks like the 4m dragon hunter even a light guy will sink the rear well, which only hurts the hull speed further.

The best value yak for a bigger guy i've seen on gumtree is the viking profish 45. It's a solid, fast kayak with terrific wet storage, flush-mount sounder installation, and the ability to have internal rod storage (which is just the best!). They're relatively common up my way in SEQ, go for around $750 in good nick, and for coping with surf conditions aren't far off a stealth. In a few ways they're actually superior to the $2300 reload (which is a fantastic kayak).

The tempo is good too, and i reckon the esprit would also be fine since even though it has a lower capacity the curves are in all the right places!

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”