Hobie "Lanai" with Electric 2

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.

Hobie "Lanai" with Electric 2

Postby hillbilly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:28 pm

I first fitted an electric motor to my Hobie "Lanai" in late 2008. I'm not sure how to post the link from October 6th 2008 but needless to say I made some changes early but still was never quite happy with the stuffing around to get it on and off the water. I have always mostly fished out of the "Lanai" but for the last five years or so it has been paddle power only. Inspired by Dodge and some of his midweek crew with their easy to manage electrics on Hinze Dam, I thought I'd make using the Minn Kota much easier.

1. I made the wing on the shaft a bit longer so less effort was required to steer.
2. I left the steering rope on the outside of the kayak rather than feeding it through a tube in the aluminium boxing where outboard attaches.
3. I purchased a 12V 60ah Lithium Battery (Australian Made) in a waterproof case and some other gadgets essential for long battery life.

The Lithium Battery, Lithium Battery Charger, Cell monitor etc. were quite dear but time will tell if I made the right decision. I liked the fact that it was Australian made.

Lithium 1.JPG
I had this behind the seat to stop my first battery sliding and the holes were for the wheels.
Lithium 2.JPG
I purchased a new polythene cutting board to modify and attach to the previous one. As the wheel shafts only protruded 6 mm above the recess behind the seat, I can put the wheels in at the ramp without having to lift the battery out although I probably still will.
Lithium 3.JPG

Lithium 4.JPG
I knew the waterproof case was always going to be a bit wide to lay flat in the recess so checked with the battery builder if vertical was okay and it was.
Lithium 5.JPG

Lithium 6.JPG
I had to try the wings and attach an Anderson plug.
Lithium 8.JPG
Sat high on the water at low speed but was a bit low at the back at the highest speed. I may need a dumbell in the hatch at the front?
Lithium 10.JPG
Much easier than before to dismantle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Re: Hobie "Lanai" with Electric 2

Postby Shuggy22 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Mate love the setup! Simple and neat!
Been thinking about adding an electric to
my quest and this is some awesome inspiration!
Shuggy22
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

Postby Dodge » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Looking good Bill and will open up more distant water to access quickly before fishing and paddling that area.
Perhaps a suggestion re the steering .... why not forget 2 rope steer, and attach a push/pull PVC tube to one side of the motor.

Gives you one handed steering, and could lay along the gunwale opposite the paddle, just needs loop of cord near front end so the tube does not fall into the water when not in hand.

When I was using my rudder with the leccy locked, I used a PVC pipe from hand to rudder, which could easily be adapted to turn a leccy motor.

Steering by 13mm PVC tube visible in pics #3 and #4 here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44392 was heated and bent round my knee to cool and match kayak curves
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby hillbilly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks Shuggy22. The set up is simple but I'm sure there are still things I can modify to make it better. I'll meet Dodge at Hinze Dam in the near future and find out first hand about the easier steering idea which would leave one hand free to troll or cast a lure. I'd like the battery to have a lower centre of gravity and if I had an easy way to put it in the hull I would. The kayak did rock a bit when turning a bit too sharply on the highest speed. The battery in waterproof case weighs 10.9 kg. Dodge, I didn't try locking the motor and using a hand paddle to steer which you and others sometimes do so I'll give that a go too when next on the water. I really don't need to be turning sharply as it is travelling the distance that appeals, then turning off the motor and paddling to investigate fishy looking spots. One thing I would love to do though is to be able to put the motor up and down while still in the kayak. That way I could paddle up onto the water lillies and sit comfortably to fish.
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Postby hillbilly » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 am

Changed a few things to make it more simple. 1. Took the wing off the electric motor. 2. Secured the waterproof battery box so if I tipped the kayak over the battery wouldn't detach from the kayak.
P1050269.JPG
P1050270.JPG
I wanted to try locking the motor in a straight position to see how that worked using the paddle to steer so headed to Hinze Dam for a test run. It was a magic morning and everthing worked great except the fishing. It was no problem using the electric (steering with the paddle) get to different spots in the distance and then turning off the electric motor so I could paddle though the trees. I had no trouble using my short fly rod from the kayak in the bigger spaces between the trees so on a day that isn't so bright might be lucky enought to entice a saratoga.
P1050272.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Mackayak » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Looks good have fun with the new ground you can reach :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 31.5cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 32cm;
Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

Postby Dodge » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:39 pm

hillbilly wrote: It was no problem using the electric (steering with the paddle) get to different spots in the distance and then turning off the electric motor so I could paddle though the trees.

Well done Bill. sounds like you have turned a corner with the leccy ..... Seadog2 has always used his paddle for steering with no issues.

BTW will be fishing at the dam Tuesday 24 about 0800.
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby hillbilly » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks Dave. I need a bit of new ground to fish and am busily exploring the Pottsville area where I spend half of my time these days. Just saw your reply Dodge when submitting my reply to Dave so I may turn up on Tuesday if the weather is okay. Regards Bill.
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Dodge » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am

Picture taken on Tuesday 24th of the hillbilly Lanai at about 1/4 speed, it looks really great on the water, and is a rocket ship when travelling at higher speeds.
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Return to Rigged Kayaks