Pimped out Slayer/Pro Angler hybrid.......

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
manno
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Melb

Pimped out Slayer/Pro Angler hybrid.......

#1 Post by manno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:29 am

Hey guys/gurls! A couple years back myself and the brothers in law all got matching yaks. The Native watercraft Slayer propel 10. At the time we got a great deal from Capacity Watersports, thanks Natalie!! And we've been over the moon with how these little yaks have performed. They arent without their limitations being a 10ft kayak but they suited us and we've used them locally in PPB, Patterson river, Mallacoota and a recent 3 night kayak trip down the Glenelg river where we camped/paddled a 50km stretch back down to the mouth. Was amazing! The Native Slayers were perfect.

I do however like the Hobies..... the fit-out on the Pro Anglers is just much better, the hull shape is better the drive more efficient. But...... even with the new reverse drive the completely hands free operation of the pedal drive on the Slayer is for me still a massive advantage, one I’m unwilling to sacrifice. The size was also a big factor. I don’t want a 12ft boat, 10ft is the right size for me. If hobie ever make a hands free reverse Pro Angler 10 then they might get my business.... but for now I figured I’d take some DNA from the PA and splice it into the Slayer.

Meet the creation of Yakenstein! The Native Pro Slayer 10.

From the start. The Slayer is pretty basic. Its got a few rails, front hatch, small rear hatch and thats about it. I looked at all the different after market attachments that were available and liked the plug n play of Railblaza stuff and some of the Ram gear. A lot needed slight/major modification to fit how i wanted and the first thing i wanted was a rail port in each of the front rails. These came with a riser needed if you weren’t drilling a hole into the hull to flush mount. I wasn’t keen on that so first job was to remove and mod the rails -

Marked out and clamped down.
Dremel did the job.
Chopped down the lugs to hold the ports in the rails.
Flush!
In.

manno
KFDU Angler

Re: Pimped out Slayer/Pro Angler hybrid.......

#2 Post by manno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 am

Pretty happy with how that went. I did have to slightly taper the post of the star port so it fitted inside the chanel in the yak but no dramas with that. Next thing i noticed were the much longer side and rear rails only had three screws/bolts holding them down. Probably strong enough but if i wanted to attach something that might load up the rails i wanted to add a few more points of fastening. Based on the spacing i decided to add three more per rail. Removed and drill the rails, and the hull.
While i was at it i thought i might change all the bolts over to hex dome caps. Titanium! Even better :)
Unfortunately being a yankee kayak all the hardware was imperial and it was a hassle to find the titanium bolts i wanted so i decided to change them to metric. That meant drilling all the brass inserts out and tapping them for M6 bolts. These are the drive clip bolt holes i had to do the same but for M8’s.
Drilled.
Tapped.
Ti bolts for the drive clips.
I wasn’t keen on the machined finish on all the Ti bolts so I decided to have them hydroblasted....
The finish.

The new bolts that didn’t go into the existing brass lugs had to be through bolts and get secured from the inside with a washer/nut. I got some some rubber and made some washers so the Ti washers didn’t bite into the plastic hull when tightened.
The through bolts. Ti bolts/Ti nyloc and Ti washers.

Now the tricky bit. Getting access to put on the washers/nuts was an absolute PITA!!!! Some were so far away from a hatch that i was at the very tips of my fingers. And others even further so i had to make some extensions for the sockets to reach. And even then it was still a nightmare. The frustration of hearing the washer and the nut fall off the socket inside the hull for the 10th+ time meant the red mist was never far away....

Nut and washer held with blutac.

I ended up using my gopro and iphone to see what i was doing. It helped!

Finally!

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#3 Post by arpie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Looking very interesting!! Keep the pics coming!

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

manno
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by manno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Next up was a sounder. Went with a Humminbird Helix 5 SI•GPS combo unit. And I opted to remove the flush mount rod holder that was to the right of the seat and make a custom sounder mount and Railblaza/Ram combo mount.

Drilled it out.

A piece of HDPE for the base, i had machined to size. I then drilled to suit the hardware and put a round on the top edge. Here it is in various stages of done-ness.
Face.
Underside.

With that done i had to modify a Ram cable manager to accept another flush mounted Railblaza port.

Marked ready.
Mounting holes reamed for countersunk bolts.
Centre hole and port mounting holes drilled.
Flush!
Cable manager bolted down, with cables through.
You can see the nuts on the inside to bolt the port down to. These needed to be wedged in so they didn’t dislodge. This took a few goes and some more red mist.
Installed on the yak. With a thin rubber gasket.

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

#5 Post by Brendon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Very nice work indeed . Look forward to seeing the finished kayak on the water
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

manno
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by manno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:57 pm

The sounder mount was set. Time for the ram arm and star port. The ram mounting plate needed some modifying. The holes on the sounder bracket were a bit odd and i wasn’t happy with just bolting it on with washers/nuts. It looked a bit scruffy. So...... i found some titanium brake calliper nuts (made for bikes) and got some matching M6 Ti countersunk bolts. I had to machine down the heads of the bolts so they would fit down snug in the bracket.

Machined Ti bolts and calliper nuts.
Nice and snug!
I had to drill out the bracket to fit M6 bolts.
Also had to ream some of the other side out to accommodate the thickness of the calliper bolts.
Had to drill out the ram mount to fit the calliper bolts too.
The back.
Bracket done :)

The Ram arm. And a ball that i attached (bolted) to a star adapter.
The hole filled in.
And on!
Transducer was mounted to the drive unit via an extension cable so i can disconnect and remove the transducer with the drive, and remove the sounder/mount while leaving the main cables in the yak.
Extension cable curled up inside the frame.
Sounder done!

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#7 Post by Marty75 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Very ingenious mate and love the attention to detail.

Job very well done!

Marty

manno
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by manno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi Roberta. Plenty of pics to come! :)

Cheers Brendon, Marty. Was good fun finding little bits and pieces that worked. But wouldn’t do it again.... haha

manno
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by manno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:27 pm

Now for the unholy.
Time to confess my love of H-rails! Great design, love the attachments and the way they can slide along and be locked at any position. And without having to twist the whole attachment which is often the case on the standard rail accessories. So I bought some and decided id figure out how to attach them later. Not impossible, there was an easy way, but I wasn’t a fan of just a single anchor point in the alloy rail at each end. Mounting the ends of the H-rails onto solid plates (Titanium of course :) that had two mounting points in the factory rails each end seemed like a better idea.

Dummy fit the side rails.
Then had a mate 3D print up some samples of the plates. I little disc to fit inside the recess on the H-rail feet and the plate that they will attach to.
They look like they’ll do the job so the proper stuff was water cut.

So the H-rails come un-assembled with some minor cutting and drilling needed. The two side rails were fine at their full length if i remember right. The rear needed to be a fair bit shorter so it was cut down.
Side rails marked and clamped ready for the Dremel.
Slots for the locating tooth cut. And rivet holes drilled.
Rivtec BULB-LITE tri split all alloy rivets.

Found what i needed in bikes again! This time Ti chainring nuts. Got four of them and drilled out the H-rail ends to fit them. The lip on these nuts is a bit small so i had some washers made that would fill up the diameter across the top of the hole so more sturdy and secure. The washers i had made the same ID as the outside of the nuts so they were a tough fit. Some i don’t think i’ll ever be getting off. With these pushed in from the top they get bolted in from under the plate with a countersunk bolt. Issue being that chainring nuts have a fine pitch thread so i had some matching Ti bolts custom made. Everything fit just right. Only thing i need to do is have the tabs on the ends of the Ti mounting plates bent down to cover anything catching on the ends of the factory rails.

H-rails drilled out.
Chainring nuts, custom washers/bolts.
Chainring nuts/washers in.
Underneath.
With the Ti spacer/washers.
Mounting plates on.
Bolts to mount these down to the rails and a chopped off allen key to get to the ones on the inside.

More tomorrow!

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#10 Post by StevenM » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:24 am

Bloody impressive

manno
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by manno » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:19 pm

The behind seat H-rail went together just the same. This one i wanted to run left to right, used for a vertical rod rack. And an extra place for a starport to mount a camera. More H-rail accessories!! I didn’t want this rail in a fixed position though, this needed to be adjustable. Got a couple of Railblaza adjustable elbows and used the same chainring nut/washer fasteners and custom fine pitch bolts (dome head for this job). Got some red bungee and attached it to the rod holders with a nylon hook. This just wraps over the stem of the reel and clips into the other side of the holder to stop gear from falling out. Slightly different mounting plates but basically same same.

Similar mount job.
Can be adjusted to lay flat when the yaks on the car.
Or anywhere from flat to even slightly past vertical.

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#12 Post by StevenM » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Ya bloody good.

bagpussbrown
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: port melbourne
Kayaks: Stealth Pro fisha 475

#13 Post by bagpussbrown » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:22 pm

WoW great work can i send mine over :grin:

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#14 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Got to be the neatest kayak mod work I have seen - either in real life or posted.

For someone who struggles to tie a knot to the deck that won't come undone it is very impressive :lol:

manno
KFDU Angler

#15 Post by manno » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 pm

StevenM wrote:Bloody impressive
NorthSIKer wrote:Got to be the neatest kayak mod work I have seen - either in real life or posted.

For someone who struggles to tie a knot to the deck that won't come undone it is very impressive :lol:
Cheers guys. Its been good that all the different bits and pieces have worked together pretty well. Definitely a lot neater than i was expecting.

And bagpussbrown......no you may not!! Haha

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”