transducer mount silicon in hull vs arm mount

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

transducer mount silicon in hull vs arm mount

#1 Post by Paulioq » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 am

hello after having sounder issues with my simrad go5 I have decided to by a new sidescan transducer and power cable to fix the issues. I have to replace the power cable almost anualy due to the wires going black from corrosion even though I seal all joints with the heat shrink tube that has the glue in it but unfortunantly you cant seal the crimp on spade conectors for the battery termainals. also side scan has stoped working and has been giving crazy depth readings for a while now, I have decided to fix it as it is a little unusable how it is.

being 3 years old and out of warranty I had to buy the trancducer and power cable got both for a good price of ebay but have been thinking of installing the transducer on an arm as opposed to silicon in hull. the only issue with in hull(right up front in the pointy part) was in 10 to 15 knots the bow would lift out of the water and give a break in the sounder reading, this was fine in calm conditions and side scan even worked through hull. for this reason alone I am thinking of using a railblaza dingy transducer arm to mount it on from the side so it will be immersed at all times and also water temp will work.

just wondering on peoples input on the idea and how to set up neatly as I like a clear deck and am only concerned about line wraping around the arm in a fish fight. I will be installing on an older pa14 (pre lowrance ready doh). any ideas and sugestions welcome

zarbs
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

Re: transducer mount silicon in hull vs arm mount

#2 Post by zarbs » Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

I've had a lot of luck with preventing corrosion by spraying my electrical connectors with Wurth's battery terminal protector or automotive corrode cure. It prevents corrosion on battery terminals and does an equally good job on my sounder connections for the last 4 + years, and being liquid it can wick along the wire.

Hope that helps you in the future.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by Paulioq » Sun May 12, 2019 6:49 pm

thanks zarbs I have been using crc on the terminals when I get back after every trip and that has let it last 18months this time around. will go get a can when I do the install once the bits arrive in the post. cheers

zarbs
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

#4 Post by zarbs » Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 am

If you're using just CRC spray then it may not give you the protection you need as it's just like WD40, a penetrant come lube and may give some protection, but the battery terminal protector is more like a protective paint (the Wurth's is blue) that coats the connectors and is much more durable and stays on.

Zarbs

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#5 Post by XDCammer » Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Liquid Insulation Tape is worth a look. You can buy it from BCF and JCAR . I use in conjunction with duel core heat shrink for joins. It is what I have used for years............no problems to date and I have installed "A LOT" of sounders (it's my job). With Battery terminal protection I would use Lanotec. It's made from the people that make Lanox. It's an food "A" grade grease made from lanolin and is a di electric. I love the stuff and it works well. It's also what I use to service Mirage drives with.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/liquid-electr ... k/p/NM2836

https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/lano ... p/A9554739

Try it.
Cheers, BobbyB.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

avayak
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by avayak » Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 pm

In my Hobie Revolution I had the same problem with the sidescan tranducer losing signal in choppy conditions.
I installed it at the stern inside the hull. It works well with the only downside being I feel like I am looking at stuff I have already passed. Not sure if the PA hullshape would suit this install.
I have a Totalscan transducer externally mounted on a Stealth 525. I made an aluminum flat bar blade attached to a short RAM arm. When not in use the transducer swings over on top of the deck. Although it is a low drag design I do lose about 1 km/hr off cruising speed and I do have to be careful to keep lines away from it.
It sits level with my foot out of the paddle stroke to give a clear picture.
I'd suggest mounting it forward of the mirage drive and vertically just below the bottom of the hull to give the sidescan an uninterrupted view.
Cheers
Avayak

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Paulioq » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm

I got a can of the wurth spray so will do the install soon(ish) work permiting, I get some free time :cry:
I believe the problem is from the spade terminal ends crimped on to the bare cable ends for the battery. I have used the regular inox spray(it is also food grade strangly enough and yes I use it on my mirage drive luv it) but the crc is a touch thinner and gave 18months protection. will see how well this bettery spray will go with time I guess, fingers crossed.

I have picked up a railblaza trancducer mount arm kit thingy from freak sports and it looks the goods. just have to make another hole in the hull so I can stash all the extra 17ft of cabal away I wont need lol. also will be mounting the battery up front of the post in the hull because I have it in the back hatch currently and it always seems to have heaps of condensate. I always leave the hatches open amd tubs out dureing storage to air out but takes a few days to dry completely.

i'll put up some pics once done thanks every one for your ideas and help

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”