oysters when you don't have bacon...

Got a favourite recipe or looking for one?
waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden, NSW and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Sport

oysters when you don't have bacon...

#1 Post by waterbaby1972 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 pm

i'm not a fan of oysters unless they're cooked... i know... bad...
but.... one day i brought home some oysters thinking i'd do bacon and worcestershire sauce under the grill to find that i didn't have bacon :shout1:

instead try this...bbq sauce and worcesteshire sauce followed by grated tasty cheese under the grill....OMIGOD.. heaven.. I've just finished off a dozne again and man... its good..

pls let me know what you think...

happy yakking
:bye:

brez

Re: oysters when you don't have bacon...

#2 Post by brez » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:43 pm

yep tried that before , absolutely love oysters and could eat them til i burst :cool2: for something different jodie try putting some white wine , chilli and a little bit of lime in before you put on the cheese and grill them . i think you just might like that recipe a bit too , plus you drink the rest of the wine as you go if it so pleases your good self :smi:

Digger
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: E.G. to Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Yaks Gone Tinny Now

#3 Post by Digger » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:05 am

I had some sorta like Kilpatrick once except with bacon and sweet chilli sauce....magnificent!

I'm more your cooked oyster sort of bloke too but recently when we were at Coffin Bay in S.A. I was fishing off the pontoons at the boat ramp when one of the oyster farmers came in and tied up opposite me and we got talking ...as you do. Commented on his catch and how big (read huge) the oysters were and he asked me if I eat oysters to which I replied in the affirmative. He reached into the cabin and handed me this monster opened oyster, about 3 times the size of anything I'd seen before, it was approaching 6" long....bloody awesome! I didn't want to refuse his hospitality so I placed this raw quivering mass in my mouth (it just fit) and was overwhelmed by the freshest flavours of the ocean that I can ever recall. It was magnificent! I soon had myself around at his shed to buy a dozen of these beauties, but now anything else seems second best.

Love that Coffin Bay, pity it's so far away from here.

Dig

waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by waterbaby1972 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 am

thanks for the recipes... might just have to try them next time i pick up some....sounds pretty nice. :fg:

digger, i wouldn't have believed you about those massive oysters,but i was watching 'dirty jobs' a few weeks ago (man i love that show) and they were shucking oysters the size of fried eggs!!! just amazing!

:bye:

Seasquirt
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Murray Cod country. Qld / NSW border rivers
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 + Stealth Superlite 100

#5 Post by Seasquirt » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:07 pm

I just love fresh oysters so much that I really miss living so far from the sea. We have a seafood van here once a week and every so often he has some really fresh oysters, so last week i bought two dozen really big Pacific oysters and the two of us pigged out.

If you can stomach the fresh ones then here is my go to recipe, normally I just add a little lemon juice but this is pure indulgence.

TIDDLY OYSTERS

Fresh shucked oysters,
pour in a nip of vodka to each oyster,
a squirt of lemon juice and a small dollop of caviar ( lumpfish roe )

then giggle :snic:

Cheers
Pam
" Things are only impossible until they are not " - Jean Luc Picard

RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

#6 Post by RUG » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Used to get em off the rocky shoreline up in Queens Lake. Shuck and slurp em down right then and there. Yum Yum Come to think of it I'll eating them any old way.
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."

waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club

#7 Post by waterbaby1972 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Seasquirt wrote: Fresh shucked oysters,
pour in a nip of vodka to each oyster,
a squirt of lemon juice and a small dollop of caviar ( lumpfish roe )

then giggle :snic:

Cheers
Pam

glad someone else got the oyster bug recently :)

boy, I like your recipe Pam.... that sounds like a beauty... I think i could just about manage them raw with the vodka and lemon additives. :snic:

the pink panther

#8 Post by the pink panther » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks Waterbaby - I was just peddling along today doing some research when I noticed a stump with oysters on it - on further inspection I found a years supply for myself but people were able to see me. I will be returning soon with gloves etc and getting some. OH - and I ran out of wine -- white if you happen to have any spare... thanks

added days later-----just woke up for a midnight snack - went to the fridge and found another bottle of my favourite white wine - I must be going to catch more fish then

denzo --------good size and I might eat them there on the water......... :snic:

Return to “Favourite Seafood Recipes”