How To Smoke Fish ?

Got a favourite recipe or looking for one?

Postby abitfishy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:40 pm

I can never find a Tally Ho big enough to smoke fish. :lol:
abitfishy
KFDU 500 Club

Well fancy that!

Postby Steve rackley » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:24 am

G'day Ben,
You wouldn't believe it, I logged on today to see if anyone had some tips on smoking fish. Because we went down to Boots at Taren point on saturday and bought a fish smoker for $29! I've never used one of the metho ones before but will keep ya posted. We did find a recipe for smoked Emu that used Banksia cones that had been split and soaked in water overnight then used in the weber, will have to have a bit of a go at that with some fish or roo or something. Gotta go work beckons. Tight lines.
Hi all, I own a Shane ski(70's) & Perception 4.7m arcadia and don't get out enough.
Steve rackley
KFDU Angler

Re: Well fancy that!

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Gday Steve

I just went past boots this afternoon as they had all packets of gulps for $5 limit ten packs I had my trailer on the back of the ute and didn't end up getting parking. I forgot they had the sale on the smokers . Let us now how it trurns out when you smoke some fish :wink:

Cheers Ben
Ben

Re: How To Smoke Fish ?

Postby Kevinnugent » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Sorry to drag this thread out of the archives, but I smoked some rainbow trout fillets tonight that were absolutely delicious. A couple of tips for young players..... Don't do this indoors on the kitchen bench. And don't overfill the metho holders. I did both and luckily we have already ordered the new kitchen. :beye:

But, the fish was brilliant. The smoker worked as stated and we've just scoffed the fillets with some dry crackers and cottage cheese. Yummy.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevinnugent
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby Seasquirt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 pm

SMOKING FISH .... hot style , portable and using wood DUST.

This is so so simple and the best and only method I will use. Recipe given to me by an old smokey.The key is the marinade you use before you smoke.

Mix up roughly 50/50 sugar and salt, add water to a basin that would roughly cover the fish you plan to add ( don't add fish yet ) TASTE it before. Should neither taste salty or sweet. When you have the right not too salty , not too sweet combination ... ADD your fish.

Fillets take only a couple of hours to marinate, whole fish a lot longer.The bigger the fish the longer you marinate, even 24 hours , always keep your fish cold though.

HOT FISH SMOKER, most come with metho burners and S/S is better. Most come with a small well in the centre of the base, place your smoker dust there. The LOWER the heat you use the better.

Keep your flame as low as possible, layer fillets over as many racks as you have ( usually only two ) and smoke.

Fillets about 10- 20 minutes, depending on quantity.
Whole fish , again on size. Small trout perhaps 20 mins. Big fish a bit longer.

*** The key here is your marinade and with these small portable smokers available everywhere, use wood dust ( variety up to you ) suggest not too strong for fish though.
**** By all means add other flavours to your marinade... gin and wasabi...chardonnay ... chilli or pepper... rum and honey. No flavour should dominate though and please test BEFORE you add your raw fish.

Cheers,
Pam
" Things are only impossible until they are not " - Jean Luc Picard
Seasquirt
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Murray Cod country. Qld / NSW border rivers
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 + Stealth Superlite 100

Postby arpie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Here is how I do it! :) Ready to eat in about 30mins unless you make the fish pie! WHen I do the fish pie, it makes up to 4-6 & I freeze them (about a kilo each) for an easy dinner, later on! :lek:

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7232&p=49823&hilit=smoked+blackfish#p49823

It is really yummy with lots of mashed potato & a green salad - or just picking off the warm flesh & eating it!! :gu:

cheerio

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Previous

Return to Favourite Seafood Recipes