Comparing Smoked Tailor, Pike & Wrasse

Got a favourite recipe or looking for one?
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Comparing Smoked Tailor, Pike & Wrasse

#1 Post by Freewily » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 am

Took a Tailor, Pike & Wrasse out the freezer, thawed & filleted them. Soaked fillets in a ceramic dish filled with water & 2 tablespoons sea salt & 2 table spoons brown sugar for about 20 minutes. Then removed fillets from solution & placed into my hot smoker.
It is the first time I had smoked a Pike so wanted to compare all three in one sitting. Guess which was my favourite.
PIKE was my favourite!! :re:
I found that the Tailor was the strongest flavour & the meat was pleasant on the chew. It was my second favourite.
The Wrasse had the mildest flavour. Obvious due to its white & less oily meat. It was flaky & when chewed, a little airy. It would be a nice fish to have on jatz or plain biscuits.
But the Pike was between both. :ll: It had the nice smokey medium flavour & the meat was slightly more tender that the Tailor & not flakey. Very pleasant to eat on its own. :ha:
So when someone says Pike! Yuk! I will say give it to me YUM!! :ha:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Return to “Favourite Seafood Recipes”