Flatty & Bream Fillets yum no bones!

Got a favourite recipe or looking for one?

Flatty & Bream Fillets yum no bones!

Postby Freewily » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:47 pm

This isn't really a recipe but just took a photo of my Flatty & Bream fillets cooking in the pan. 4 fish altogether.
I often hear of people raving about Flathead tails but complaining about the bones in the upper parts of a Flathead fillet.
But just a few years ago I had a go at deboning the flathead fillet with success. Now it's not much of a chore & well worth the effort.
So if you can fillet & skin Flatty fillets, have a go at cutting around or along the rib sections to remove it. If done correctly you fillet should come out in a Y shape or you cut it up into 2 or 3 pieces. Just have a go & use your finger tip to feel where the bones are. Before long you will have no problems in deboning & will be able to enjoy the rest of the fillet like the tail section. Yum! :tong:
In the picture shown. I ended up with 3 bones maximum. And the wife & daughter with none. :ha:
Flatty & Bream Fillets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Re: Flatty & Bream Fillets yum no bones!

Postby robbo57 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Yummo.......looks delicious :ll:
I'm coming to your place for dinner Willy :snic:
Were they the elusive Illawarra Flatties ????? :snic:
PB's Bream 30cm Flathead 52cm Snapper 23cm(not legal I know but...)Tailor 35cm Flounder 30cm Whiting 38cm
Member: Sydney Kayak Fishing Club & Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club.
See you on the water.
Rob.
robbo57
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Water
Kayaks: Viking Profish 45 Hobie Revo 13

Postby Dangerous Dave » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Yummo indeed...

Saw a way of grabbing the skin and pulling it away from the flesh and the bones stick to the skin. The whole family like flathead so I will be giving this a try this season as I have been doing it the way Willy suggested with good results up until now.
Dangerous Dave
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Far South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Native Slayer Propel 13 (Lizard Lick )

Postby Freewily » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:53 am

Robbo, They were 2 Illawarra Bream I caught a while ago. The Flattys were Minnamurra!

Dangerous Dave, I might have a go at skinning them the way you just mentioned to see if the bones come away. But at the moment I skin the fillets by laying the fillets skin side down on a chopping board, then starting at the very tip of the tail I will grab the skin in my left hand (I am right handed), and cut through the flesh at the tail until the the knife edge touches the skin. Then the knife blade is flattened & the skin is pulled hard so the skin slides under the knife blade & the flesh slides over the top of the knife blade. With a bit of practice , all the skin will be removed. :ha:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby Dangerous Dave » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Saw Paul Worsteling do it on ifish the other week as well, he just peeled the skin away from the flesh while holding it with a towel.
Caught 3 nice 50 cm flatties this morning so I will try it and see how I go.
Dangerous Dave
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Far South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Native Slayer Propel 13 (Lizard Lick )

Postby mcnphoto » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:45 pm

I use my pliers to remove the skin, cut the two fillets off and starting from the head end stick your thumb under the white underbelly part of the skin to lift it away from the flesh then grab the skin with the pliers and pull down towards the tail end while gripping the fillet with your other hand it comes off pretty easy. Then just cut out the rib cage and remember the two small bones behind the rib cage again i use the pliers to pluck out those ones.

Cheers
Mark
mcnphoto
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast (Old Bar)
Kayaks: Viking Tempo

Return to Favourite Seafood Recipes