Sergeant Baker Fillets

Got a favourite recipe or looking for one?
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Sergeant Baker Fillets

#1 Post by Freewily » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Well I haven't been to this section for a while & will have to read all the posts that I missed out on.
Any way, I said in one of my Offshore posts that I will have to try & fillet a Sergeant Baker. I caught & kept one when fishing off Gerringong.
I few of our guys said good luck with that as they really are full of bones! :lol:
But after successfuly filleting my past Flatheads I thought it was time to give this red sea cactus a go! :lol:
I found that a good sharp flexible pointy filleting knife made things a lot easier.
And it is not a fish that I would waste time on when in a hurry like at the cleaning tables or when filleting fish for a crowd of people! :lol:
So today I had 2 Snapper that I filleted in case the Sgt Baker was a failure.
It would be too difficult to describe how to fillet one of these red baseball bats, but it is mainly in the feel for where the bones are. Most of them are like rib bones in a Flatty & the fine centre fillet bones found in most fish. But these fish seem to have twice as many. So it will take twice as long to fillet. I mean debone! :?:
Also the strips of meat can be much more & thinner than what you would get off a normal fish. :roll:
But anyway I finally filleted & deboned it & found that it can be done.
I baked the fillets like I did my Snapper fillets in lemon slices, home grown parsely, Coriander & chives with a little chicken stock powder sprinkled on the meat with a little of the chopped herbs with a light sprinkle of sea salt. Wrapped in Olive oil coated foil. Bunged in the oven on 200 degrees for a minimum of 30 minutes.
The verdict: Sgt Baker has superb white meat that is slightly tenderer than Snapper with similar flavour. It freezes well over a long period of time like Snapper as well. As for the bones. Wait for it! 3 in total! :grin: And the missus liked it.
So looks like I have another unwanted fish for my table next time. I t willl be joining, Salmon, Pike & Bonito! :lol:
DSCF2420 [800x600].jpg
DSCF2422 [800x600].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Return to “Favourite Seafood Recipes”