Bream or Herring Fillets with Orange and Caraway Seed

Got a favourite recipe or looking for one?
Yakyakker
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Perth

Bream or Herring Fillets with Orange and Caraway Seed

#1 Post by Yakyakker » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share one of my favourite - and easy - recipes for fish fillets. It was originally meant for bream, but works well for other fish fillets also. Tastes great with Herring (Tommy Ruff) fillets and takes out the strong taste.

Serves 4 (although it is so tasty it serves 2 of me!)
Ingredients:
750g bream or other fish fillets
Plain flour
60g butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup fresh orange juice (FRESH is important, don't use the stuff you buy that isn't refrigerated containing preservatives)
Rind of one orange, very finely grated.
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, slightly crushed (use the back of a spoon on a ceramic plate)
1/2 cup fish stock
1/4 teaspoon sugar

1. Trim and skin fillets. ensure ribcage and all bones are removed by feeling the fillets with your fingers (or you may end up in hospital with a fishbone stuck down your throat like I did!).
2. Lightly coat fillets in flour. Shaking them with the flour in a plastic bag is effective.
3. Combine butter and oil in pan and heat. Add floured fish. Cook gently until flesh flakes - approx 2-3 minutes each side. Remove and keep warm.
4. To the remaining juices, add orange juice, grated rind, caraway seeds, fish stock and sugar. Gently simmer until slightly reduced (i.e. just boil it and stir it as fast as you can to stop it burning until it is thick. Should take approx 5 minutes)
5. Put fillets on serving plates and pour liquid over fillets.

Best served with mashed potato and some fresh green veges.

Guys, if you catch some bream and cook this up for the missus, she'll be sending you out to catch some more as much as possible (and probably joining you)!

Cheers,

Paul.
Paul (Tuckers).
Yellow Hobie Adventure 'Achilles II'.
Green Finn 4.25m sit in 'Aaaarrrrr'
http://yakyakker.wordpress.com

I love yaks.

slim
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Re: Bream or Herring Fillets with Orange and Caraway Seed

#2 Post by slim » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:53 am

That sounds like a top recipe, i love the flavour of orange with fish, i use it alot when smoking tailor
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.

Return to “Favourite Seafood Recipes”