Cooking Crabs

Got a favourite recipe or looking for one?

Cooking Crabs

Postby redman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Not really a recipe but............for those of you who boil your crabs next time try steaming them. Just get a large pot, put a cake rack in the bottom and fill with water to just below the level of the rack. THen clean the crabs, bring water to boil and put them in for about 10-18 minutes depending on how many crabs you want to cook. Tastes much better than boiling them as stops mushiness some get from the water inside and you can eat them alot sooner as well :wink:
Beers and Cheers,

Geoff

"Some People Feel The Rain, Others Just Get Wet"

Hobie Adventure Fish

PB's: 118cm Barramundi, 53cm Mangrove Jack, 75cm Threadfin Salmon......
redman
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Townsville

Re: Cooking Crabs

Postby Yakyakker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi Redman,

Do you have any tips for getting the meat out of them?
Paul (Tuckers).
Yellow Hobie Adventure 'Achilles II'.
Green Finn 4.25m sit in 'Aaaarrrrr'
http://yakyakker.wordpress.com

I love yaks.
Yakyakker
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Perth

Postby Richo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:48 pm

redman wrote:Not really a recipe but............for those of you who boil your crabs next time try steaming them. Just get a large pot, put a cake rack in the bottom and fill with water to just below the level of the rack. THen clean the crabs, bring water to boil and put them in for about 10-18 minutes depending on how many crabs you want to cook. Tastes much better than boiling them as stops mushiness some get from the water inside and you can eat them alot sooner as well :wink:

Hi redman :D
Mate I`m sure there are a few members here that would like to know how to clean a crab. ( myself included :dealer: )
I always thought you put them in freshwater?
Whenever I went crabbing, It was with my old man & he done all the hard work behind the scenes.
Richo

OK Prowler 4.5 Elite
2009 Hobie Outback (soon)

Image Image
Richo
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: N`cle, Hunter, Lake Macquarie

Postby Buj » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:43 pm

I never thought of 'steaming' crabs before. Since they are my favourite seafood I'll try that next time I get a Blue Swimmer or Muddy.

Thanks for the info :D.
Regards,

Buj
Founder / Site Admin

Local Fishing Region: Central Coast NSW
Kayaks: OK Prowler 4.5 Elite, Malibu Mini X

Postby redman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am

Hi fella's

Sorry Yakyakker and Richo but no matter how hard I wish, ask and stare the crabs down they unfortunately wont clean themselves...There is no easy way around it that I have found except to put on the footy, grab an ice cold beer and get down to it :wink:

You can get small two pronged forks to get the meat out but they dont help that much.

And whilst its always good to get a nice rusty buck full of meat......the ones which are a bit empty are alot easier to clean as the meat comes out of the legs alot easier.

I have never used freshwater to clean them as when they are steamed most of the cleaning is done beforehand......I could no longer put up with looking at them cool :dealer:

I don't get alot of sandies up here in townsville but the muddies more than make up for this.........mmmmmmmmm crabbbbbbb..........damn drool on the keyboard again!! :beye:
Beers and Cheers,

Geoff

Hobie Adventure Fish

redman
KFDU Angler

Postby redman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:56 am

On another note instead of icing the crabs a good way to kill them is to knife them at the point of the triangular flap.........kills them pretty much instantaneously. I'm sure most of you already know this but just in case....
Beers and Cheers,

Geoff

Hobie Adventure Fish

redman
KFDU Angler

Postby Richo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:01 pm

redman wrote:On another note instead of icing the crabs a good way to kill them is to knife them at the point of the triangular flap.........kills them pretty much instantaneously. I'm sure most of you already know this but just in case....

I think the boiling water used to do that job for us :shock: :lol:
I just thought he put em in fresh before cooking & they spew & crap themselves? But I dont know?
Richo

OK Prowler 4.5 Elite

Image Image
Richo
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Richo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 pm

aaahaa! thanks mate :wink:
Richo

OK Prowler 4.5 Elite

Image Image
Richo
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Rob-in-Kurnell » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:54 pm

I caught a couple of blue swimmers and cooked them up along with our Chrissy seafood (lobster, prawns, oysters, mussels and scallops) and the crabs were the highlight, I steamed them in a wok with salted water, ginger and chilli oil they were ultra sweet, I havent set the crab pots out of the kayak yet right enough
Rob-in-Kurnell
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney

Postby Greybeard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:20 am

Eating crabs Lift the lid and clean the inside if required then remove claws and legs, to get to meat in legs bite the first knuckle of and squeeze and out comes the good stuff,the claws break in two and put the elbow part along your bottom lip with the spikes down and give a squeeze with the teeth till it cracks horizontally then spred the armour for the whole piece of meat, then the claw end put in mouth with claws out and crack around the shell about the middle slide of that part of the shell then break of the top (flexible)nipper and use to push the meat back out of the front portion of the nipper.
To the crab itself remove the knuckles that are still attached along the sides of the shell its hard on the fingers put just use the thumbnail then at the back where the flipper legs where place the palm of the hard against the shell and force it away this is only thin membrane and it leaves the biggest piece of meat in the crab By the way you are supposed to have broken the crab in half first after removing the knuckles by now you should have two halves of crab with the back section of meat removed now you split the halves horizontally across the line where the knuckles where and you wind up with one half that has four fingers of meat in the membrane sections that are easily removed the other side is a touch more difficult but what i do is if the crab is not big i just squeeze the membrane forcing the meat up and out in a larger crab I break the shell and it leaves another three sections in the membrane with easy access to the meat.
Basically you are quartering the crab but to do this you must remove those knuckles.
Hope this helps its something that Ive developed over many years and you dont leave much meat in there but practice makes perfect.
Cheers Greybeard
Greybeard
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Find it

Postby Digger » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:27 pm

Rob-in-Kurnell wrote:I caught a couple of blue swimmers and cooked them up along with our Chrissy seafood (lobster, prawns, oysters, mussels and scallops) and the crabs were the highlight, I steamed them in a wok with salted water, ginger and chilli oil they were ultra sweet, I havent set the crab pots out of the kayak yet right enough

G'day Rob from another Rob,

In March we did a trip through S.A. and while we were at Cowell I had the good fortune to catch a feed of Blue Swimmer Crabs and never having tried them before found they were magnificent...even better that cray! I steamed them in an electric frying pan.

When I was younger I was an avid diver and was always bring crays home but can't afford them now unfortunately. I used to steam them with a couple glugs of honey in the water....absolutely magnificent!

Rob
Digger
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: E.G. to Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Yaks Gone Tinny Now

Postby Ranger » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Yakyakker wrote:Do you have any tips for getting the meat out of them?

Get one wife, dump all the crabs in front of her and tell her to get to work while you have a few beers!

After she tells you where to go, storms out and slams the door, you'll have plenty of time alone in peace and quiet to begin work on the crabs! :snic:
Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes!
Ranger
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Adelaide

Postby redman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Ranger wrote:
Yakyakker wrote:Do you have any tips for getting the meat out of them?

Get one wife, dump all the crabs in front of her and tell her to get to work while you have a few beers!

After she tells you where to go, storms out and slams the door, you'll have plenty of time alone in peace and quiet to begin work on the crabs! :snic:

I like it - what are your thoughts on repairing the marriage :ll:
Beers and Cheers,

Geoff

Hobie Adventure Fish

redman
KFDU Angler

Postby Freewily » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Totally agee with greybeard,
Also those nut crackers come in handy if you don't wanna break your teeth or if your a bit like a gummy.
And totally agree with redman in steaming if possible.
This is what I do. Catch about 4 or 6 crabs (blueswimmers) or buy fresh. Put crabs in a slurry of ice water or very cold water to kill them. Then I lay the crabs on their back, belly up.
With a large knife cut crab in half so you have two halves, each with a claw & swim flipper & legs. Then in kitchen sink clean out guts with fingers under a running tap & finally rinse clean.
You should now have some fairly clean half crabs that show their clear meat inside.
In a small bowl I mix worcestishire sauce (about 6 tablespoons), soy sauce (about 2 tablespoons), chilli sauce (about 1 to 2 teaspoons hot chilli or 2 tablespoons sweat chilli), ginger (2 teaspoons), garlic (2 cloves crushed or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic from jar.) & cooking oil (about 2 tablespoons). You could also add some chopped herbs such as coriander & dill. Mix the ingredients together to a watery paste.
Then with a teaspoon pour the mixed ingredients, over the meat of the crab where you cut the crab. Also press the mixture as best as you can into the crab meat with the back of the teaspoon or or fingers.
Put each half into a high walled pan with lid. I have used one of those cast iron damper pots on a BBQ or use an electric frypan with lid.
After you have put the crabs in the pan then pour over crabs the remaining mixture. Add a little water to nearly cover the the bottom of the pan. I usually use about 1/3 to 1/2 a drinking glass of water. Too little water is better than too much.
Turn on heat so that the water at the bottom of pan boils & keep covered with lid. This will steam the crab of course.
Check after about 20 minutes that the crabs are cooked red. 4 to 6 crabs should be cooked after about 20 to 30 minutes.
Then eat crabs. Yum with a nice buttered crusty bread roll & white wine. Who needs a restaurant!!
Thanks
Wil
You can also buy crab eating utensils that look like two pronged long forks & long scoops & nut crackers. Ask at a kitchen store. They make a good Chrissy present.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby crumpo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:01 am

redman wrote:Not really a recipe but............for those of you who boil your crabs next time try steaming them. Just get a large pot, put a cake rack in the bottom and fill with water to just below the level of the rack. THen clean the crabs, bring water to boil and put them in for about 10-18 minutes depending on how many crabs you want to cook. Tastes much better than boiling them as stops mushiness some get from the water inside and you can eat them alot sooner as well :wink:

when steaming them i use a pot of the water they came out of chuck a handful of fesh shallots some ginger and chilli in the water as for cleaning them rip the top shell off cut in half to remove all the shit use a bucket of salt water form the creek where caught or a bucket from your local beach will do (if close enough) dont use fresh water for cleaning any seafood it strips them of there flavour also try putting them in the freezer the just go to sleep

hope this helps lee
crumpo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: hawkesbury

Return to Favourite Seafood Recipes