Picked my first Kayak. Would like advice before committing

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

Picked my first Kayak. Would like advice before committing

Postby sydnick123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Kayak fishing and am looking to get into the sport cheaply so I can see if I like it. I've never really Kayaked before but I do alot of land based fishing and the occasional offshore trawling session.

The kayak I am looking at is this one https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/menai/k ... 1145087634. From what I can tell it is a Chinese build with a shitty trolly but If I could get it for $300 it would hopefully be good enough for me to know if I want to spend more.

I plan on fishing mainly in Sydney Harbor and Port Hacking.
sydnick123
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW

Re: Picked my first Kayak. Would like advice before committi

Postby arpie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Sydnick

If you can get that for less than the $400 he is asking - it should do the trick nicely - tho at $400, it seems a good buy anyway!! It comes with most things - but don't forget to get a life jacket tho!

It is a good length - and looks like it is based on one of the Viking Kayaks .....

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Leper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am

Hey mate,

From my experience with cheap Chinese kayaks, and I own two, is that they have very poor longevity. They will do the job often on par with more expensive kayaks early on and then fall apart really quickly. Pins and screws in fixtures are at best cheap stainless and the plastic components are made of cheaper quality and lower density polyethylene as opposed to high density polyethylene. This reduces their abrasion resistance significantly. They also tend to have a thinner hull thickness so holes can wear in really quickly. The fixtures also often don't seal well and you can get a bit of water leaking into the hull if it pools around any fixtures cut into the hull. I resealed mine with silicon but hatches not sealing well as they don't sit flush when closed was not easy to solve. Tracking is occasionally an issue for some but my two were fine and if patient you can adjust your stroke to compensate in most cases.

As a beginners kayak though you can't really go wrong to see if the interest is there. I kept my two cheaper yaks for my boys and also use them when I go camping and security is an issue. If they are stolen I won't cry as much!

Hope this helps!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Mantra Noa, Viking Temp, Eco Daintree and Coleman Scanoe

Postby laneends » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 am

As a testing the water kayak then they do the job, if you get hooked then you will be upgrading in 6 months or so. they do the job but are a bit like bath tubs. Most importantly its long enough.
laneends
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Return to Which Kayak For Me