Any Advice ?

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
Thomas4040
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: Hobie PA 14

Any Advice ?

#1 Post by Thomas4040 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 am

Hey Kayak people..

It's tax time and have decided to buy myself a cheap and hopefully cheerful first kayak to have a bit of a fish from with my return. Being my first foray into the kayak world I don't want to spend a fortune only to find I don't like it.
Mainly looking to paddle and fish on quiet water, Lake Macquarie, Hunter River and maybe a bit around the Stockton Bridge near the oyster racks.
I'm a big unit (115kg'ish) so need something capable of carrying me and whatever gear I take with me. I've been looking at a NEXTGEN10 and wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular brand of kayak. It's cheap and looks OK to my uneducated eye.
Also they are local which is a big plus for me.

Link to the kayak I'm looking at.
https://www.kayaks2fish.com/3m-nextgen- ... -newcastle

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Thomas

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Re: Any Advice ?

#2 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 am

For me personally 3 metres is too short.
Havent seen this one before but there are some basic things you can do.
If a kayak has scupper holes for a trolley then look for any reinforcement e.g. like the Hobie Kayaks, some kayaks can be thin in that area and may crack.
Run a torch over the plastic and look for thin spots in the plastic hull itself, cheap kayaks from China might have an inconsistency in the thickness of thenhull if quality control wasnt that great or became a.compromise for cheaper production costs.
Most important rule of all which I follow for any purchase of a kayak is to take it for a TEST PADDLE, it may look good on paper but how does it handle in water, do you have enough space, does it seat comfortable, what about primary and secondary stability, handling and recovery e.g. size, hand holds, weight etc.
For the money your looking at spending, I would suggest you look out in the classifieds on this site or elsewhere for a good quality second hand kayak which someone may have only used for 1 or 2 seasons before deciding to TRADE UP.
An example would be look at the Hobie paddle series of kayaks and then search for what be of interest. I fish Lake Mac / Newy for 10 years now off a kayak, 3 metres for me would be too small.
Other option is wait and save more money for something you know will be better suited for local conditions, quality control and safety on the water.

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#3 Post by Cubits » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:16 am

Yeah, I'll echo the sentiment about getting a longer kayak. The nextgen doesn't live up to its implied weight rating, and it gets very tippy with a heavier bloke up on the perch. Also, the centre console is seriously underwhelming when you actually go to put anything in it.

Longer yaks are faster and more weather resistant (chop, wind, current), and narrower yaks are easier on your arms. The high seats cost too much in terms of instability and paddling efficiency to be worth it. A good low seat is perfectly comfy, dry, and much safer in dodgy conditions.

IMO the best brands to look out for are ocean kayak, viking, rtm, perception, and hobie. Around 4m long is good for most conditions, but unless you're fishing tiny streams there's no harm in going longer to make paddling even easier. I'm partial to yaks with huge centre storage, my viking swallows three offshore reels, two tackle trays, two cameras, and my sounder unit for handling surf launches!

If you're worried about resale, then don't buy new! There's less risk with a second hand kayak since you can generally sell them off at the price you paid. A new yak on the other hand, always instantly loses value.

Check out gumtree, there's usually one or two goodies kicking around. Not sure if this is still available, but it's an incredible bargain! Retail on that would be close to 3k.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warners ... 1184789246

Big yak, but weight capacity is no problem, the storage is outrageously good, it will fly up the hunter, and it comes with great gear.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#4 Post by laneends » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:59 am

x2 for value on that prowler, though a 4.1 or 4.5m with also do the job.

One issue with big blokes on small yaks is the lack of length/bouyancy behind you so they are easy to tip just reaching behind or with an unexpected wave/wake etc. 13 foot/4m is generally considered good allrounder size.

Must folks eventually trade up on their first kayak, or give up, so secondhand is good for a starter until you learn whats right for you with least $$ loss risk. What you you up doing on a kayak is rarely what you anticipated doing as your confidence builds

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#5 Post by Ads22 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:35 pm

I did a quick look in your area and came across the prowler. Pretty good value. Gives you an idea of where to start at least. Weight rating is pretty important. I read your link as having two different readings, one in written text, other in chart. Not sure how confident I'd be, but worth a test paddle if you are really keen on it. Becomes difficult when handling a decent fish or some chop. I have a little Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit, and it copes well for me, but substantially lighter. I find it well balanced, but will ride low at the back with any extra load on board and I only use it for skinny creeks or as a second yak for visitors these days.

I have two vikings - a Profish GT (same as Cubits) and a Profish Reload. Both of these handle weight really well, the TacklePod is awesome for carrying gear and a 30 year warranty on the hull. Cubits mentions other top brands and definitely worth a look. I'm not against a bargain, so a cheap yak as a starting point may be worth considering, but cheap may work best by second hand with a better model. My thoughts in a biggish nutshell. :grin:

Good luck with making a choice. It's an excellent way to enjoy some time on the water and some fishing. I started with one, now have three and would love a fibreglass one as well, if funds, time, room and wife allowed! :lol: :lol:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#6 Post by Marty75 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Here ya go Thomas, not that I am biased or anything but these kayaks are awesome.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51549

Yours for $700 and all you need to get is a cart for it.

Here’s a quick review of them https://youtu.be/ttxPh-rYGdE

Marty

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#7 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Marty75 wrote:Here ya go Thomas, not that I am biased or anything but these kayaks are awesome.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51549

Yours for $700 and all you need to get is a cart for it.

Here’s a quick review of them https://youtu.be/ttxPh-rYGdE

Marty
Thats a great find,
I would consider buying that myself if I was looking for a kayak.
Great price for such a good kayak.
This is a perfect example of what you should be looking for.
Would be perfect around Lake Mac and even outside Swansea Channel like Moon Island or even BTB fishing at any of the local beaches.

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#8 Post by Marty75 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:38 am

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs wrote:Thats a great find,

It just happens to be mine.... Can’t justify having both the Prowler and Stealth to choose from when heading offshore. Each have their merits.

Marty

Thomas4040
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by Thomas4040 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Hey Guys..

Thanks for the advice, plenty of good points and things to think about that I hadn't even considered.

Marty, I've sent you a sms to the number on your Gumtree ad, Hope to hear from you soon :glad:

Cheers..

NathanG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: OK prowler 4.7( traded) Now Hobie PA 14

#10 Post by NathanG » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:43 pm

a second hand prowler would be a ideal first yak realiable fast and stable. loved mine before i traded it in and upgraded.
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Thomas4040
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by Thomas4040 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:05 am

I’m off today to have a look at the Prowler that Cubits linked to me above.

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by NathanG » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:35 pm

haha i just lookd at the link its my old one. :gu:
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Thomas4040
KFDU Angler

#13 Post by Thomas4040 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Went for a drive down, looked it over, looked at the new Hobies... Picture me standing there like one of the clowns you put the balls in the mouth at the sideshow carnival, left, right, left, right..

Had a chat to the young fella behind the counter, got some brochures ..

Kind of talked myself into getting a new Hobie instead, always been the jump right in kind of guy so why change now. Common sense be damned lol.

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#14 Post by NathanG » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Haha straight to the top wat modle you looking at.
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Thomas4040
KFDU Angler

#15 Post by Thomas4040 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Will either be the PA12 or 14..The payment plans look good.
Just need to work out what difference other than size there between them if any

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”