plastic kayak alternative to a stealth ?

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

plastic kayak alternative to a stealth ?

Postby AshG » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 pm

I know there’s no plastic yak that’s going to match a stealth profisha, and as much as I’d like a stealth, I’ve gotta think practically.
The amount of times I’ve already knocked, bashed and beached my plastic 5.1 ocean kayak, mostly when loading and unloading, that I’ve only had for a few months, if it were a glass yak I’d be in tears...
Don’t try talk me back into a glass yak, my mind is set. If I have to sacrifice some paddling speed, so be it. The practicality of plastic is most important (to me)
So, must be an ocean going, fast-ish paddling, surf handling plastic kayak.
Centre storage similar to a stealth is an absolute must have.
What plastic kayaks should I be looking at?
AshG
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: 3m Dream Kayak Werewolf, 5.1m Ocean Kayak

Re: plastic kayak alternative to a stealth ?

Postby GlassedOff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:21 am

I don't know of any plastic kayaks that have centre storage like a stealth so you can scrub that off your list of must haves straight away, one of the Noosa yakkers called pedro i think does a canvass like rod bag that will take a couple of rods pre-rigged though that you can strap to the side of a plastic yak, if anything I'd probably be looking at a viking maybe, Paddleguyjas on here sells them on the sunny coast and could point you in the right direction, he surfs his really well but he's a skilled paddler although with practice I'm sure anyone can master it...the ocean kayak prowlers are a good capable offshore yak as well and are pretty fast for plastic...realistically though regardless of your want for plastic you aren't going to find a plastic one that'll match a stealth offshore or in the surf, they're lighter, faster and built for surf and setup for offshore and contrary to your belief they are quite durable and can handle some decent knocks, and even if you do get a blemish or crack at the end of the day fibreglass is easily repaired......
GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

Postby Edstar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:45 pm

U found a hole in the market. Business opportunity any one.

U have to sacrifice something. Those new rod bags look good. I wish they were around when I started offshore in plastic.
Options. Gotta be a bit creativity. RTM albaco hi luxe. Can store a 2piece 7foot rod in centre hatch. Saw one one gumtree recently in Brisbane. They said it was rare or a prototype or something. But it’s speed never gonna be as fast as glass.
I had a Viking espri. With a well placed larger hatch in the nose I could store a 3 piece rod.
Ok more creative I’ve seen scupper pro and prowlers with diy centre hatches if ur handy.
I’m not up to date with the latest plastics range but I thought I might of saw a new Viking with centre rod storage. But I could be wrong.
Edstar.
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby Jamie D » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:28 pm

The Jackson Cuda has internal central storage like a stealth and is plastic
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby GlassedOff » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Jamie D wrote:The Jackson Cuda has internal central storage like a stealth and is plastic

Well there ya go learn something new everyday :cool: but at 34kg dry weight it would be a fairly hefty beast to be paddling i reckon especially for a smaller bloke, i have had times offshore where against wind and current even a glass yak was tough going and it's those times that matter i reckon especially when you're a few kilometres from where you need to get to......
GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:34 am

GlassedOff wrote:
Jamie D wrote:The Jackson Cuda has internal central storage like a stealth and is plastic

Well there ya go learn something new everyday :cool: but at 34kg dry weight it would be a fairly hefty beast to be paddling i reckon especially for a smaller bloke, i have had times offshore where against wind and current even a glass yak was tough going and it's those times that matter i reckon especially when you're a few kilometres from where you need to get to......

Kinda not really.

Weight (within reason) should make bugger all difference to speed on the water for a displacement hull vessel like a kayak. Hull shape (e.g. narrower much faster), windage (profile out of the water) and material (stiffer materials like carbon>glass>plastic) can make much bigger differences. Sure in a race an extra 20kgs may mean you finish at 1hr:34m instead of 1hr:33m but for general paddling you will never notice that. Work on your technique and fitness a fraction, and get your paddle right and you will get a much bigger boost than shaving a few kgs from the boat weight (unless you already have the fitness and technique of Knut Holmann :lol: ).

Having said that, 34kg is a bit more than I would like to be lifting on and off my roof racks by myself.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby tommo1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 am

Look at Viking

Their Profish Reload is the best plastic yak I've paddled and if I did not have my stealth that's the one I'd go for.
All other plastics I've paddled were square boxes in comparison.

Profish handles well in the surf as well and easy enough to handle on land loading etc.

Cheers
Tommie
tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs harbour

Postby Cubits » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 am

Weight makes more of a difference in the surf zone, but if it is that important to you then glass is it. Viking reloads and 45s surf well enough, but don't punch out like a stealth. 34kg is par for course if you want oceangoing speed in plastic.

While you won't get a good, cobia swallowing fish hatch in a plastic yak, internal rod storage is available on a few. The viking profish 45 was sold as the 440 in the US with a hatch in the end of the centre well which let it eat rods. Fit the hatch with a plastic wind-sock and it will be plenty for surf waterproofing.

Ocean Kayak Ultras also have a rod tube option. Not sure how long a rod they can handle, but there should be plenty of room in the nose to make full sized rods fit.

Or there's the option of the Pedro's rod bag. You can fit them to the front deck of most longer yaks, and they'll protect fully rigged rods no problem.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Postby laneends » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 pm

I dont think the rotomold process can hand internal storage designs line the profishas.

A hobie revo 16 is longer and narrower than the the vikings or prowlers, with a stealth type nose to punch through rather than over waves. You can pedal or paddle it.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby Edstar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm

00DA198D-032C-408D-81BF-AAFD33C97411.jpeg

FYI a pic is worth 1000 words. Saw this. Viking profish at sunny coast. Holds 3rods in rod tube. Not the same massive hatch the stealth have but the best I’ve found in the plastic.
Edstar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby Cubits » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 am

Yeah, that's what i was talking about. Profish 45 with a hatch. It's worth adding a seal and straps to the hatch lid if you're going to run it like that, I've had waves lift the lid when it's just held by the bungees.

The reload can't do that due to the tackle pod, but looking at my mate's 400 it should be possible if you relocate the sounder battery.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Postby Frit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:42 am

Interesting post. Last year I was looking at a similar dilemma, trying to find a fast stable and seaworthy yak on a budget. Looked for a long time at Prowlers, but decided on a profish 45 as I couldn't afford a reload. Luckily for me, by keeping a close eye on secondhand after lots of research, I got a Kaskazi Dorado at a really good price. Might not suit everyone, but does me really well. Love the speed for some of the distances I paddle sometimes.
Frit
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Kaskazi Dorado

Return to Which Kayak For Me