OK Prowler Ultra 4.7 Review

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

OK Prowler Ultra 4.7 Review

Postby Nativeman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7

Designed and made in NZ by Ocean Kayak, Distributed in Australia by BLA

Kayak Length : 4.7 M
Kayak Width : .74 M
Kayak Weight : 35KG
Kayak Capacity : 250 KG+
Material : Polyethylene construction

Colours Available : Camo, Mango Flame

Recommended Retail Price : $2495

Std Inclusions
Deluxe Comfort Seat, 2 x Rear Flush Mounted Rod Holders, Paddle holder(both sides), OK Rudder System, Built in Side lifting handles, Replaceable Wear Strip, Moulded in Serial Number, Recessed Deck Fittings, Front and Rear built in lifting handles, Large and deep rear well, Multi Function Reversible Hatch Cover, Centre Hatch, Live Bait tank or storage area for anchor system, 2 x Flush Mounted Gunwale Rod Holders, Moulded In Screw Inserts for fitting of accessories, Bungee for storage of Equipment on forward deck, Cross Lock Buckle System for Front Hatch, Flat Area for mounting of VHF or GPS antenna, Mounting plate for Scotty/Cannon Rod Holder.

Optional Extras
Icebox Storage Pod, Rod Tube Kit, Live Bait Tank Cover and Pump Kit, C-Tug Trolley, Kayakers Safety Light, Anchor Running Rig, Drift Shute, Fish Finder Kit.

Added Electronics and Accessories
I have installed a Humminbird 798ci Fishfinder/GPS Combo to the kayak.
I have also installed the OK Anchor Running Rig and a Scotty Rod Mount and 2 x DIY rod leashes.

Pro's
Extremely Stable, I reckon this kayak is more Stable than the Prowler 13. Tracks well with excellent speed and incredible glide - I could get it to around 9 KPH and I'm no paddling superstar but it cruises at around 5.5 to 6 kph at a steady paddle rate. A dry ride(Dam, estuary, River), rudder steers it precisely. Transducer Scupper - with the addition of the optional Transducer Scupper Kit designed to fit the Humminbird range of sounders. The Double sided hatch lid is a extremely functional, allowing you to fit the electronics to one side of the hatch cover and then have the ability to turn it 180 degrees for a safe and secure location when entering surf type conditions. The rear well is huge and if you are a catch and kill fisher person that fishes rectangularly offshore it would be well suited - with the addition of the optional icebox storage pod it would be even better. The livebait well just behind the seat would be good for someone who does a lot of live baiting with the ability to hold livies on board. The optional extra rod tube will allow 2 fully rigged rods to be stored on board inside the yak, additional rods could be stored with the reels removed for the rods. Storage areas - If you weren't to use the livewell the purpose it was made for this would be an ideal area to use as anchor/drift shute storage. There is also some storage wells in front of the foot wells, handy for accessories but I found it a great spot for my crocs :D Near the seated area there is also some sunken areas for small tackle boxes.

Con's
The Scotty rod mount is too far forward, I can't even reach it but with the addition of a Scotty's angled rod extension(#459) this problem would be fixed, I have one on order. Although I loaded it OK with the aid of my loader bars on my roof racks some people may find it excessively heavy at 35KG+

Ability to customise
Customising is a breeze with lots of the brass inserts that will take a 5mm screw all over the yak that will allow you to customise this yak without the need to drill holes. Cannon or Scotty rod holders could be mounted as I have done in the allocated spot forward of the central hatch, as mentioned the brass inserts are located in the necessary spots to customise the kayak, for instance the anchor trolley kit was just a matter of tightening the 4 screws into the inserts that were located at either end of the kayak. There is a flattened circular area at the front of the kayak to mount a GPS/VHF antenna if required.

Overview
I find I enjoy fishing from this kayak, even though its designed to be well suited for offshore conditions I think it is a great all round kayak, suited for Offshore, Bays, Rivers, estuaries and lakes. And for my style of fishing such as impoundment fishing it is a good platform to fish from. As I can travel great distances in an impoundment to find the schools of fish it gets me there quick. The central hatch is what really turns me on, the ability to store tackle and accessories within arms reach is sensational, I can store up to 3 plano trays close at hand as well as other accessories, camera and dry bag. Also the feature where I can turn the hatch lid 180 degrees to hide my sounder bracket away is great for a fast pack up as It is when setting up. Although some might say it is a little heavy I can put up with it as the positives far outweigh the negatives that you may hold for the weight issue.

Rating : 9/10

Set up for fishing

The Rear Well

The Livebait Well

The Seated Position

The Centre Hatch Area

The Centre hatch area, notice the small area's near the seat for storage of small items

The Forward storage areas, drained to the foot well scuppers and the front bungee storage area

The centre hatch turned 180 degrees to reveal the Humminbird Fishfinder

The small flexible locks that clasp the hatch in place

With options on the brass inserts I was able to have some webbing on the top of the hatch, I use the pad eyes here to attach pliers, scissors and the like.

The rod holder mount, a scotty arm the will bring it the rod holder back.

A closer look at the drain front storage area

The usual side running lines on the sides of the hull

The rear side view

The rudder system, also notice the built in lifting handles

The rear underside

The front underside view

The Replaceable wear strip

The full length underside view

The front hatch with the Cross Lock Buckle System

Inside the centre hatch

On the water

On the water view

Packed up to go home, its a long way up, but I can manage

Last edited by Nativeman on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Re: OK Prowler Ultra 4.7 Review

Postby Ray7 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 am

Good report it looks to have some excellent features, but it seems to be lot of wasted space behind the seat, although, as you said once you can add the live well and esky it probably look ok.

Ray
Hobie Outback, Malibu Sierra 10
Grandkid - 6
Stocked Bass 50cm / Wild Bass 42cm Barramundi 110cm /Sooty Grunter 47cm.
Bream 28cm / Big eye Travelly 32cm/Snapper 48cm.
Whiting 34cm / Flathead 70cm, Cod 75cm, Yellowbelly 47cm.
Happy Moments 29cm (Black Travelly- Siganus Nebulosus)

Member of the Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Club
Ray7
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland/ To Hunter in NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback -- Malibu Sierra 10

Postby tasmaniac » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 am

Great review Sel, it certainly is an impressive kayak. That storage pod with reversible lid is a clever design, & that rear well is just huuuge :re:
Cheers & tight lines
Greg
tasmaniac
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Huon & Channel area
Kayaks: Viking Profish

Postby Biggles » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Nice review Sel. Can you tell us a little about that Carlisle paddle you have strapped along side :bye:

Al
Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 pm

looks like a great touring kayak,,plenty of room for tents,,swags etc behind the seat,,,,,i am another that thought there was a lot of wasted space at first look,,,but great for camping or to take a kid fishing as well.
Shorty
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Around Perth

Postby Nativeman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Biggles wrote:Nice review Sel. Can you tell us a little about that Carlisle paddle you have strapped along side :bye:

Al

Mate

Its a Carlisle Tech Series, Arctic 175 Carbon Reinforced with Graphite Shaft and Smart Shaft for easy adjustment, 225mm long and made in NZ. The Angle of the blades can be changed between 60 - 80 degrees and there is up to 10cm adjustment on the length of the shaft.

This is what BLA says on their web site:

Designed for long distance sea-kayak touring, the Arctic paddles are the definitive paddle for the intermediate to experienced sea kayaker. The Arctic paddles are lightweight and super strong. Carbon fibre shafts are 29mm in diameter and are available as single piece or two piece with smart shaft.

Smart shaft system allows for 100mm of length adjustment and multiple angle adjustment. Blades are manufactured from carbon fibre reinforced injection moulded nylon, are an asymmetric cut with medium dihedral shape for easy touring and are available in three widths to suit individual requirements. Supplied as standard with grip indicators, sealed blades, sealed shafts and drip rings.

Recommended Retail is $349

Cheers
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby jc61 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Great review and if I was in the market for another paddles yak to add to the fleet I would give it serious consideration.
jc61
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth WA

Postby Nativeman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm

I have added a Scotty adjustable extension arm to the front rod holder mount. This makes the rod holder much closer to the paddler and solves the problem of it being too far away.

The lid of the hatch can still be opened, swiveled and closed with the extension in place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby alky1957 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Sel,

Probably a silly question but.......

In the photo of the centre hatch and also in one of the photos of the centre hatch cover, there is a white circular disc thingy. What are they for? :baf:

Cheers

Al.
alky1957
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: North West Tasmania

Postby mental » Thu May 06, 2010 10:44 pm

They are breather holes, these are required by the roto-moulding process.

Cheers, Mental
www.KayakFishingNZ.com
Kayak Fishing - It's Catching!

mental
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: New Zealand

Postby Nativeman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:34 pm

James wrote:have you had this offshore yet Sel to see how it goes?

Nope... are you joking. I don't fish offshore. But I know of a few guys that do and have changed over and they are loving it. Especially the sounder on the rotating lid and the speed and stability...

Cheers
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby Nativeman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:42 pm

The good folk at Ocean Kayak have dropped these extra's into me this week. These are for the Ultra... the Ocean Kayak Ice Box and the 2100mm long rod tube. Here is some pics for the meantime but I will do an overview on them in the coming days, stay tuned...

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby FishBriz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:03 am

Hi,
I am a yet to be kayak fisherman, never been in a kayak, but keen to get into it for serious fishing.
Been looking at the Prowler Ultra 4.7, how would it be for a 1st Kayak?
I tend to prefer growing into stuff, instead of buying, selling, buying, etc
Don't know if this helps but I plan on :

Paddling long distances (10km+ each way)
Fishing estuaries, the bay, and when i am skilled enough then mostly offshore (Game fish, sharks)
Carrying a bit at times, eg:- Camping gear, etc
Fishing all weather conditions, and when experienced then also when its Rough as Guts out there (Like I always did when I had a tinnie)
Perhaps launch it at the surf now and then
as for comfort, I quiet often fish 12hr+ Day/Night, I'm 6ft2, and weigh about 78kg
Basically i want a serious fishing kayak, that will serve me well for many years.

If you could please tell me your opinion whether the Ultra 4.7 would suit me
I would appreciate that, thanks

Regards Jason
FishBriz
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Prowler ultra 4.7

Postby Biggles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 am

FishBriz wrote:Hi,
I am a yet to be kayak fisherman, never been in a kayak, but keen to get into it for serious fishing.
Been looking at the Prowler Ultra 4.7, how would it be for a 1st Kayak?
I tend to prefer growing into stuff, instead of buying, selling, buying, etc
Don't know if this helps but I plan on :

Paddling long distances (10km+ each way)
Fishing estuaries, the bay, and when i am skilled enough then mostly offshore (Game fish, sharks)
Carrying a bit at times, eg:- Camping gear, etc
Fishing all weather conditions, and when experienced then also when its Rough as Guts out there (Like I always did when I had a tinnie)
Perhaps launch it at the surf now and then
as for comfort, I quiet often fish 12hr+ Day/Night, I'm 6ft2, and weigh about 78kg
Basically i want a serious fishing kayak, that will serve me well for many years.

If you could please tell me your opinion whether the Ultra 4.7 would suit me
I would appreciate that, thanks

Regards Jason

Hi Jason, IMHO the answer you seek to the questions above is YES, the Ultra 4.7 will do everything you are requiring and probably a bit more. They are a very nice yak and one of these will serve you well for many years to come. Let us know how you get on :bye:

Regards

Al
Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby FishBriz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks for that Al, I really appreciated that.
:bye:
FishBriz
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Prowler ultra 4.7

Next

Return to Which Kayak For Me