Which cheap reliable Chinese made kayak?

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Which cheap reliable Chinese made kayak?

#1 Post by Occy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm

This topic has been bouncing around in my head for a couple of years now and a couple of recent posts here from newbies on the subject above got me thinking about it a little more deeply. Especially given the recent explosion of Chinese "cheapies" hitting the market in recent times

As some of you would know I have at times been quite outspoken in my support of some of these cheaper Chinese imports because in my experience some are quite well designed and made. Of course the corolary of that is that some aren't.

So my mind got to thinking of a way to harness the collective knowledge and experience here on KFDU to come up with a list of acceptable cheap kayaks out there in the market. Given the importance of a topic like this in terms of both dollars and safety, especially for those new to our sport, I reckon we should at least try don't you?

So if anyone out there would care to tell us a little about your experiences with a Mr Wongs cheap and cheerful kayak please go right ahead.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

Re: Which cheap reliable Chinese made kayak?

#2 Post by StevenM » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:26 pm

My input is............

give them a big swerve and sidestep.

Buy second hand "known brand" or save up and get new.

most of the time the cheapies has less of a quality plastic and fittings

Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: port stephens nsw
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#3 Post by Matt S » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I cant complain about my palani copy. been abusing it for a over a year now and its still going strong. Don't think the quality compares to the big names but 4.2m of yak for under $800 seems good to me
Insert Signature Here

norevo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: illawarra,south coast,Sydney south

#4 Post by norevo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:06 pm

For $690 for a 3.8m yak with 3 seats 2 paddles,trolley,paddle leashes,2 adjustable rod holders I wasnt expecting the best quality,I wasn't dissapointed either.
A couple of things have let me down but im not bothered they are only minor issues I.e bolts from fittings coming undone a trolley that has a mind of its own,it folds up when im carting it down to the water its pretty funny /embarrasing but I dont care im out there amongst it and besides would rather put my coin away for more pressing issues ,mortgage,kids, bills etc all in all im happy got it off scumtree the bloke is still flogging em off and he is a decent bloke as well sells hundreds of them :wink:
Barra 104cm,bass 44cm,flathead 55cm,brown trout 50cm,bream =boring,kingfish 60cm,threadfin salmon 90cm(how could i forget)

ShortyK
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere from Sunshine to the Gold Coast and Brisbane
Kayaks: Not enough.....

#5 Post by ShortyK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:49 pm

I bought a cheap ebay kayak to start with $500 for a single seater, paddle, seat, trolley, adjustable rod holder and 4 moulded rod holders. It is great it has got me to all of the places I needed and helped me catch plenty of fish. Now that I am hooked I have upgraded as I want to start doing a bit offshore and travel further. These yaks are great for a starter as you don't need to outlay alot of cash to get started.

As stated before by norevo the trolley likes to close on its own and the fittings are not as good but definetly worth a go if starting out.

Oh, and the brand is "Dragon Kayak" on ebay.
PB's from Yak:
Flathead 59cm, Bream 35cm,
Tailor 25cm, Moses Perch 28cm,
Wild Bass 40cm, Travelly 27cm,
Whiting 33cm, Eaustry Cod 28cm,
Snapper 51cm, Impoundment Bass 40cm
Reef shark about 2m, Spangeld Emperor 28cm
Longtail Tuna 118cm, Spanish Mackerel 117cm
Wild Yellow belly 37cm.

There is nothing more relaxing than a day on the water in a Kayak.

Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club

#6 Post by Matt S » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:37 pm

forgot to mention that the lack of rudder on a 4.2m yak has taught me heaps about paddle technique..... that and youtube (had to learn how to turn the sucker lol)
Insert Signature Here

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#7 Post by Occy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks guys that's the sort of thing I was hoping for. I forgot to mention here that I'm not talking about the major brand kayaks (many of which also come out of China I might add), more the independents sold direct through Gumtree, Ebay etc. I know most of the stuff Anaconda sells comes from there, and what I've seen actually looks quite good, albeit more pricey when not on special.

Keep them coming. And if you could tell us the brand, model, and approximate price (if you can remember) that would be great. I'm hoping the information could be a good resource for anyone looking at buying one of these "cheap and cheerfuls".
Cheers Paul

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski

#8 Post by nigel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 am

Re the cheep yaks think its a bit of a lottery re getting a good one (ive had a recognised brand lemon from a reputable Aussie dealer & it took a lot to get it replaced) if that came from the net think I would have had no chance.Also not wanting to be a "prophet of doom"but I think there all fairly new & ive heard rumours (or suggestions)that they may NOT have adequate U.V.protection in the plastic & if not in the Aussie sun there life-span would be drastically reduced.
So guess its horses for courses & most are the shorter slower design so if people start with these & get the bug a lot will want to upgrade before long anyway.

Pommy Nigel
Last edited by nigel on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#9 Post by Steve R » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:31 am

nigel wrote:Re the cheep yaks think its a bit of a lottery re getting a good one (ive a recognised brand lemon from a reputable Aussie dealer & it took a lot to get it replaced) if that came from the net think I would have had no chance.Also not wanting to be a "prophet of doom"but I think there all fairly new & ive herd rumours (or suggestions)that they may NOT have adequate U.V.protection in the plastic & if not in the Aussie sun there life-span would be drastically reduced.
So guess its horses for course & most are the shorter slower design so if people start with these & get the bug a lot will want to upgrade before long anyway.

Pommy Nigel
Excellent point. Plastic ain't plastic. I THINK all rotomoulded yaks are made from varieties of polyethelene. Many of the top brand names use HDPE, which is naturally UV resistant. Wikipedia indicates low density polyethelene is prone to UV degradation.

The kayaks that list materials on the Alibaba webpage don't inspire confidence. Many don't list construction material or state on 'PE'. One offers a choice of 'LLDPE or HDPE' indicating identical kayaks out of the same mould may be made from different grades of polyethelene so, Brand A looking like Brand B doesn't mean it will have the same UV lifespan. Good deals may be found. However, as Nigel implies, 'buyer beware' applies when it comes to UV degradation.
Last edited by Steve R on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

norevo
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by norevo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:37 am

I will admit the quality of the plastic does not seem to be as good as the plastic my 2 aussie made canoes were made of ie Australis brand. It feels more flimsy but is still quite sturdy ill keep it until it wont hold my fat axx up :lol: :lol:
Barra 104cm,bass 44cm,flathead 55cm,brown trout 50cm,bream =boring,kingfish 60cm,threadfin salmon 90cm(how could i forget)

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

#11 Post by Steve R » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 am

norevo wrote:I will admit the quality of the plastic does not seem to be as good as the plastic my 2 aussie made canoes were made of ie Australis brand. It feels more flimsy but is still quite sturdy ill keep it until it wont hold my fat axx up :lol: :lol:
'Flimsy' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad plastic' the same as 'rigid' may not necessarily mean 'good plastic. It may only mean one brand of kayak has different structural rigidity or one may have less plastic.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

norevo
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by norevo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 am

Ok thats prob what I was meaning to say but even still its not the same my bro in law has one he got from bcf almost the same yak but there is a notible difference in the quality and finish of the plastic paid the same but with no gear just the hull

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

#13 Post by Steve R » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

norevo wrote:Ok thats prob what I was meaning to say but even still its not the same my bro in law has one he got from bcf almost the same yak but there is a notible difference in the quality and finish of the plastic paid the same but with no gear just the hull
Maybe Armorall , 303 or similar will extend the lifespan but you probably need to apply often.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)

Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club

#14 Post by Matt S » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:22 pm

there is a definate difference in the plastic of my big cheapy to my viking. the chinese one seems "softer" and does scratch heaps easier. But I didnt ever expect I was buying a comparable product to the big brands. But I still recomend newbies buy a cheap chinese one first, then upgrade when they know what their needs really are
Insert Signature Here

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#15 Post by Occy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:21 pm

I see one of the real cheapies (under $400 package deal) being sold on Ebay states they are made of LLDPE which Wikipedia tells me is Linear Low Density PE. It's a much stretchier softer plastic to the normal low density PE (LDPE), but apparently is harder to mould, and it doesn't produce a high gloss finish. One advantage of this sort of plastic is that it allows lower thicknesses, which gels with the comments about some of these cheapies being thinner and softer. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's an inferior plastic; in fact some would say it's superior.

I understand but will stand corrected if wrong that traditionally the major US manufacturers (Hobie at least) use High Density PE (HDPE). To some it's considered more of a premium product as it is more dense and arguably stronger, although it is more brittle and requires higher thicknesses. It is however the only PE that will produce a reasonably high gloss finish, which obviously accounts for something if the beautiful finish on Hobie and Wilderness Systems products is any guide.

For anyone interested here's a brief overview of the two from a technical perspective http://www.baypolymer.com/polyethylene-HDPE-LDPE.html. And just to confuse you take a look at this explanation as to why (apparently) the majority of manufacturers use LLDPE http://www.gosea.co.uk/essential-info/our- materials-hdpe-vs-lldpe/#.UlOlNFOzg5s. So, I suppose it's back to square one for this little black duck. Can anyone add to our collective knowledge of the different types of plastics used in kayak making? Also feel free to disabuse me of anything I have said above because I don't know what I'm talking about. :lek: .
Cheers Paul

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”