Kayak recommendations??

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
spacepig3000
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Macquarie
Kayaks: stealth evo 465

Re: Kayak recommendations??

#46 Post by spacepig3000 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:18 pm

There is a used bfs on there now but I'm not sure what they are like
"If you always do what you've always done... You'll always get what you've always got"

Vanz
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle nsw
Kayaks: glass is class in a 495

#47 Post by Vanz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Yeah actually that bfs has been there for a bit. Probably after the 495 slightly over the bfs for no other preference other than just like the shape over the bfs and gut feeling leaning towards the 495.

But will speak with dennis closer to the date and get his opinion.

Vanz
PB - Flattie 73cm, Bream 33cm, Jewfish 135cm, Squid Nil, Flounder 43cm, Moewong 42cm, Aus Salmon 41cm Tailor 47cm whiting 43cm

dru
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Balmain Sydney
Kayaks: Zegul 550 (SIK), Stealth Profisha 475, Carbonology Vault (Racing Ski)

#48 Post by dru » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Excellent features like all Stealths. Reputed excellence in surf. Not fast compared to say an Evolution. Hull slap can be annoying.

Guys with them love them.
If something is worth doing, do it to excess.

Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Berowra

#49 Post by Salty Dog » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Have damaged both plastic & glass...doh!

Plastic, 1st time offshore, (inshore for Dru) I was lucky & it was quite easy to get out & back at Mona Vale. The 2nd time, it was organised to meet up with some of the old hands. I got there a bit early, so thought I wouldn't trouble the experienced guys & would make my own way out so they wouldn't have to wait for the new guy. The conditions were less favourable, (by far) & I had a hard time even launching. One of the old hands showed up & advised me to swim the kayak out & the he would meet me out there, (he never did but did have a bit of a giggle at the expense of the silly newby).

I got out past the break & was having a bit of a fish & the wind started to pick up. No-one else had come out, so thought I had best do the responsible thing & try & head back in. The wind had whipped up the surf & I got picked up by a wave & dumped on shore with me still on top, at least at the start....buckled my kayak. My yellow kayak was now banana shaped. Needed to be heated up & plastic welded along the seams to re-shape. It required professional help but was pretty much as good as new afterwards. I am sure there would have been decent damage to a fibreglass kayak if I had have done the same to it. I don't remember the cost but I do remember the trauma, (mental).

I found out from the old hand later that the wind pretty much always changes direction to blow offshore in the afternoon at that time of year, so if I had have been a but less responsible I would probably had a much easier time of it.

I waited a long time before being able to pick up my glass kayak. Hadn't had it long & hit the end on some old oven the lady of the house had stored in the garage. It had a sharp edge & chipped the gel coat. I could see the fibre & wasn't confident repairing myself, so had a professional fix it, cost $80. I am sure that despite the lack of confidence at the time, I could have fixed it myself if I had have bought a repair kit but was hoping that it would be an isolated incident which to date it has been, (touch wood).

So there you go. If you are talented, you can damage whatever you buy! :wink:
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550

Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club

#50 Post by Salty Dog » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 pm

On a separate note Dru, how are the Lane Cove crew with fat, unfit people with no paddling technique that can only show up irregularly?

I'm on shift work & have kid related obligations at times, so wouldn't be able to turn up reliably but might have a bit of run on weeks where I could & runs where I couldn't.

I haven't been paddling for months - hurt my back a little getting the kid's kayak down from where it was stored which coincided with the silly season, then sorting the kid out with his new school, travel to & from school, a lot of birthday obligations on weekends, etc.

Too much food, too much drink, no exercise. Need to get out paddling.

Have a slight problem with my rudder that is annoying but shouldn't stop me from paddling. What do you think? Should I get in touch with them or I am I best off just trying to do my own thing & get out for a quicky when I can steal the time?
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550

Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club

#51 Post by Salty Dog » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks for the swearing tip too Dru. Apparently "shit" isn't automatically detected. I wonder about shit-shit. It would be pretty shitty if shit-shit was picked up!
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550

dru
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Balmain Sydney
Kayaks: Zegul 550 (SIK), Stealth Profisha 475, Carbonology Vault (Racing Ski)

#52 Post by dru » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:04 pm

Mate you would be welcome at LCRK. First night you go out with an existing member - that would be me. You need to sign up with club fees etc. good time to do it now. Once daylight savings is over lights are needed.
If something is worth doing, do it to excess.

yakfishar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Coast
Kayaks: prowler 4.5 elite, PRO FISHA 575, supalite bfs

#53 Post by yakfishar » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Vanz wrote:
Catch 20/2 isnt it glass is better all round but need to treat it like a raw egg.
I wouldn't say that. My old man dropped my pro fisha 575 off of his nissan patrol straight onto the road the first week I got it, only resulting in some minor gel coat damage to the tail, other than that not a scratch.

He took it to a guy who works for mirage sea kayaks to get it professionally repaired. Total cost of repairs.......$0 The repair ended up being so simple the guy didn't charge him a cent.

I happily set it down on roads, concrete boat ramps etc and it still looks the same as the day i got it. I know everybody who actually owns a glass boat have already said it but they really are stronger than you might think.

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#54 Post by Jamie D » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Catch 20/2 isnt it glass is better all round but need to treat it like a raw egg

I wouldn't say that. My old man dropped my pro fisha 575 off of his nissan patrol straight onto the road the first week I got it, only resulting in some minor gel coat damage to the tail, other than that not a scratch.

Snap . I Had virtually the same experience . Like I said

Resilient stuff that Glass :wink: :devil:

Vanz
KFDU 500 Club

#55 Post by Vanz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:33 pm

gilioth wrote:
Vanz wrote:
Catch 20/2 isnt it glass is better all round but need to treat it like a raw egg.

He took it to a guy who works for mirage sea kayaks to get it professionally repaired. Total cost of repairs.......$0 The repair ended up being so simple the guy didn't charge him a cent.

I happily set it down on roads, concrete boat ramps etc and it still looks the same as the day i got it. I know everybody who actually owns a glass boat have already said it but they really are stronger than you might think.
I would have kicked him for dropping it on the road :egrin: :beye: :grr:

Meh just my opinion from what I have herd, you know you say hen dropped it from the roof of the patrol and nothing and another post in here said his stealth hit the endof thengarage and lost a chunk out the nose so personal opinion man.
PB - Flattie 73cm, Bream 33cm, Jewfish 135cm, Squid Nil, Flounder 43cm, Moewong 42cm, Aus Salmon 41cm Tailor 47cm whiting 43cm

GreyNurse
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Southern Sydney to start with
Kayaks: Sierra Angler (Mantra Noa copy)

#56 Post by GreyNurse » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Matt S wrote: or if you can handle pink (or know how to paint)
Don't think of it as pink. Think of it as 50% red.
Cheers.

Nursie

If God had wanted us to have boats, we would have been born with a mooring.

Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club

#57 Post by Salty Dog » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:19 am

and another post in here said his stealth hit the endof thengarage and lost a chunk out the nose so personal opinion man.
That was me - nasty metal edge on an old oven. It was almost like the blade of a knife. An unusual thing to hit it on & I've tried not to make a habit of it. The oven got turfed out of the garage in disgust quick smart!

I've heard of a number of people dropping them on to roads without too much drama. I won't be trying it in a hurry though.

I'm still not going back to plastic though. Fibreglass is way more fun.
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550

Vanz
KFDU 500 Club

#58 Post by Vanz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:39 am

Ok I knew it wad someone. Ouch that would suck on the oven. And yeah look dont get me wrong im still yet to have a crack at a glass yak but I am going to 99.99% likely be placing an order with dennis soon to grab a 495 ( preferably used but see how money goes ) so im all for glass fully supportive so im not sure why it seems like im having a go at them its just from what I have herd about how fragile they are. Ive been yold that if you hold a light to thr edge of the yak you can see through it again neva tried it and dont know just from what ive been told. And I agree salty probably wont be voluntarily dropping my yak on concrete to test it

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#59 Post by Jamie D » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Vanz wrote:Ok I knew it wad someone. Ouch that would suck on the oven. And yeah look dont get me wrong im still yet to have a crack at a glass yak but I am going to 99.99% likely be placing an order with dennis soon to grab a 495 ( preferably used but see how money goes ) so im all for glass fully supportive so im not sure why it seems like im having a go at them its just from what I have herd about how fragile they are. Ive been yold that if you hold a light to thr edge of the yak you can see through it again neva tried it and dont know just from what ive been told. And I agree salty probably wont be voluntarily dropping my yak on concrete to test it
He'll have a used 495 in march I can tell you for a fact

Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: port stephens nsw
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#60 Post by Matt S » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Wouldnt be green and yellow would it?
Insert Signature Here

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”