First kayak advice please

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
dhills2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Coast, NSW

First kayak advice please

#1 Post by dhills2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 am

Hi all,
I'm new to yak fishing so I figured the best way to figure out the best first yak would be to start trawling through kfdu! I've read plenty of other threads but thought it may be easier to set out what I'm after and see if you friendly folks could share some knowledge and experience on what I should be looking for when buying. Firstly, I'm all for buying 2nd hand but may end up needing to buy new as it may end up coming in the form of a present from family. Anyway, here are some details: (1) I'm from the Central Coast NSW so I'll mainly use it for creek/river/bay work; (2) I'm about 5'9" and 70kg so won't need anything too sturdy; (3) I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to new sports/hobbies so it'll probably end up being a fully rigged yak in due course; (4) I drive a sedan so slightly shorter may be easier to lug (soft racks most likely to start as I'll likely upgrade car shortly). Any advice on brands/models to look at will be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Dan

dhills2
KFDU Angler

Re: First kayak advice please

#2 Post by dhills2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:26 am

Forgot to mention... budget not too much of an issue but given it's my first yak I'd probably keep it to less than 1000 if possible (or thereabouts). Down the track I'd either upgrade and pass my yak to the Mrs or just keep & buy her a cheapie for the odd paddle.

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

#3 Post by Nativeman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:40 am

Welcome to the forum

So where do you intend to fish? As that will help us help you.

Offshore, estuaries or inland rivers ? Edit I must be blind...no comment on that please

Don't waste time and money go for the ultimate kayak first, I'd be looking at a used Hobie, Pedal is by far the best for the fishing you intend to do, so I would look at a Revo or an Outback. I just bought a used Revo 11, took it on a holiday to Forster/Nambucca Heads and it was superb....

Have fun, hunting down a suitable kayak is part of the excitement...
Last edited by Nativeman on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sel

spork
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

#4 Post by spork » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:48 am

Hey Dan.
I might be a bit biased, but I'd be looking for a used Hobie, either Revo 13 or outback. At your size, maybe even a sport or Revo 11. Yes, you will have to stretch your initial budget to probably closer to $1500...
Pimping a 'yak costs, and it seems silly to me to spend a heap on extras for a cheap 'yak. Bit like the kids who put $2k of mags and $3k sound systems in a $4k car...
If you find a used hobie @ the right price it will most likely have lots of extras already, and if you decide 'yak fishing isn't for you you will be able to sell it for something close to what you paid for it. (If you decide it IS for you, you can go the whole PA or AI upgrade, keep the first 'yak for wife/mates, and have it to use for your less ambitious trips).
Plenty of people on here transport hobies on soft racks. I did it with mine for a couple of months with no issues. Besides, as you said: "(3) I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to new sports/hobbies" - so do it right, get a "good" yak to begin with. Too many people buy little toy kayaks that put them off the whole idea.
Free-range fisherman.

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

#5 Post by Occy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:41 am

Spork speaks much sense when he points out the other thing to consider is whether you go paddle or pedal. There are heaps of fully kitted out options in your price range on the paddle side, not so many with pedals (only Hobie and Native Watercraft) unfortunately. They will necessarily be considerably dearer options though, for good reason I might add, and definitely should be in the mix if your budget can stretch that far.

Good luck on the hunt whichever way you go. Getting into yak fishing is a fun time, albeit somewhat frustrating and confusing, but if you take your time, do your research, and listen to others you will get there.

Oh and welcome to KFDU. :idiot:
Last edited by Occy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

dhills2
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by dhills2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks everyone. I think a better yak might be the go as I'll no doubt be taking it on trips up the mid north coast down the track. Only advantage of getting a cheaper one would be that I could play with it for a few months and then get a better one... thereby giving me a spare yak for the Mrs (train her into coming with me!). Decisions, decisions.

dhills2
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by dhills2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am

Sport & rev 11 look ideal. Might be keeping a lookout for these ;-)

pottsvillejunky
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum Qld & Pottsville NSW

#8 Post by pottsvillejunky » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Hobie Revo11 all the way! Such fun and you just cruise along, both hands free to flick the rod or whatever and you can get home quick if the weather comes away and you are a long way from launch point. I have had mine for a few years, just bought my 13yr old son a second hand one for $1800 looks brand new doubt it was used if at all. Love it love it love it and now I can go with my little man (big man not interested at all in kayaking - not sure if that is a bad thing....) and we have a comp who can catch the most and the biggest fish - wish we could do it every day but sadly work and school get in the way! Anzac Day however is looking like a def kayaking fishing day down the creek - mmmmm 3 sleeps....may just make it!

norevo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: illawarra,south coast,Sydney south

#9 Post by norevo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm

How will these hobies travel on soft roof rack things until he upgrades car or racks, just a thought.
Barra 104cm,bass 44cm,flathead 55cm,brown trout 50cm,bream =boring,kingfish 60cm,threadfin salmon 90cm(how could i forget)

Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: port stephens nsw
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#10 Post by Matt S » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm

as nobody else seems to be saying it. There IS other options to pedals. Some of us really do prefer to paddle. With a grand you could find 2nd hand OK prowlers, Vikings + other great quality paddle yaks (i have seen prowlers around the $1000 mark with sounders etc already fitted). If you stretched it possibly even something classy in glass :wink:
Insert Signature Here

norevo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: illawarra,south coast,Sydney south

#11 Post by norevo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:13 pm

norevo wrote:How will these hobies travel on soft roof rack things until he upgrades car or racks, just a thought.
Ok so just read the last bit of sporks post, no probs then.
Barra 104cm,bass 44cm,flathead 55cm,brown trout 50cm,bream =boring,kingfish 60cm,threadfin salmon 90cm(how could i forget)

robbs1963
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: port hacking
Kayaks: two mini x's

#12 Post by robbs1963 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:08 pm

I agree with other choices to Pedal yaks. the Hobies are all great kayaks, but even second hand can run in at $2000 plus. The OK prowlers are a fine yak too and may be a handfull to load and move about in the skinny creeks. If you have never been in a yak I would be looking for something easier to use. any of the malibu mini x range for instance. easy to load, easy to paddle, easy to store. only 9ft3 long. they have fantastic primary stability to help build your confidence ant they are well built too. best of all they all under $1000 new.

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”