Scorpio Terrapin XL vs Dragon Hunter

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
Joshin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Jacobs Well
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin XL

Scorpio Terrapin XL vs Dragon Hunter

#1 Post by Joshin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Guys,

Any opinions on the 2 yaks above ?

Both are similar price and similar features, just wondering if there are any major differences as to why you would go one over the other ?

I will also be getting the next sized down versions for the GF to use when we head out fishing on them.

Thanks.

BrendanH
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin

Re: Scorpio Terrapin XL vs Dragon Hunter

#2 Post by BrendanH » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:29 pm

I've been fishing off the Scorpio Terrapin (Not the XL) for a few weeks.

It is a good little kayak for the money. It's very broad so it is very stable and for a short kayak it doesn't track too badly which makes it ideal for beginners. Because of its width it does wallow a bit and isn't the fastest in the world and when the water gets a bit choppy you're going to get wet.

It also costs around $400 new, including paddle and seat and two semi-dry hatches so if you are budget conscious you do get quite a bit for the money.

One thing that I have noticed is that the screws holding the handles, etc. together get loose quite quickly so just check them after you've bought it and after every few trips. (Don't forget to check scupper plugs as well. My one back scupper seems a tiny bit bigger than the others and I've lost a plug during transport before.)

I'm sure your missus will enjoy it.

I don't regret buying mine at all.

I should also note that I use mine in dams, I'm not sure I'd feel entirely comfortable taking it offshore but I'm probably not the best person to pass judgement on that since I'm not that experienced.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#3 Post by laneends » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:01 pm

They look like rebadged versions of the same thing. There are lots of others that are essentially the same.

i know someone with Terrapin XL. It is quite capable of open water safely. Obviously slightly heavier and sluggish than a big name model. For a budget kayak it does the job. Be aware if you get a short one for the missus it wont track that well in open water or strong breeze. The short ones are really for skinny flat waters. Length matter when it comes to kayak capabilities.

djfrestyla
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yass, NSW, NSW South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Pellalfish 13, Peddalfish 10, Scorpio XL, Scorpio

#4 Post by djfrestyla » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi,
I have a Terrapin XL, & the Mrs Has a Terrapin.
Both are awesome, the XL is narrower, with a completely streamlined hull compared to the Terrapin, so it cruises & tracks a lot better.
Kayak.jpg
I have not had anything to do with the Dragon Hunter, so can not comment.
I fitted out the Terrapin XL with a Anchor trolley, 18lb watersnake, 50ah battery,stake out pole, a BCF padded seat (brilliant), and the standard accessory (Milk Crate).
My Mrs keeps her Terrapin simple with: 10l esky (for beer), stake out pole,& keeper net, and near always out fishes me :cry: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joshin
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Joshin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, at this stage seems C-Kayak has a good sale on, on the terrapins, looks like a drive to Burleigh as i'm Logan based.

We just had 5 days over @ North Straddie and im sick of not catching fish land based, even when the locals told us their secret spots and were there at the right times.

Will mainly be used in dams, canals and areas like Jacobs Well, not too much offshore work for us, probably within 1-2 kms of land. I'm even now thinking getting 2 x terrapin XLs one for me one for her. They're slightly shorter than the dragons, but 10 cms narrower as well. The GF is a keen fisherman as well, and hers will also be my backup for when i want to go fishing with mates, they will probably appreciate the XL a bit more from the sounds of it.

Will see how we go at the shop on Saturday.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#6 Post by laneends » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:44 am

Joshin wrote:Thanks for the replies so far, at this stage seems C-Kayak has a good sale on, on the terrapins, looks like a drive to Burleigh as i'm Logan based.

We just had 5 days over @ North Straddie and im sick of not catching fish land based, even when the locals told us their secret spots and were there at the right times.

Will mainly be used in dams, canals and areas like Jacobs Well, not too much offshore work for us, probably within 1-2 kms of land. I'm even now thinking getting 2 x terrapin XLs one for me one for her. They're slightly shorter than the dragons, but 10 cms narrower as well. The GF is a keen fisherman as well, and hers will also be my backup for when i want to go fishing with mates, they will probably appreciate the XL a bit more from the sounds of it.

Will see how we go at the shop on Saturday.
I would go the two XLs. If it gets blowy and lumpy you wont appreciate how much harder work it will be for her, and less safe. Contrary to perception longer is much easier to paddle and far more stable regardless of being narrow.

AshG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: 3m Dream Kayak Werewolf, 5.1m Ocean Kayak

#7 Post by AshG » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:24 pm

I have the terrapin and love it.
If your more into open water fishing big lakes etc go a bigger yak.
If skinny creek bashing is what you do most of,like myself, definately go the terrapin, I have a rear mounted leccy so can have the best of both worlds. Motor on for when I'm up on the dam, motor off for up the the creeks.
Had mine for over a year now can't fault it, great bang for buck :)

AshG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: 3m Dream Kayak Werewolf, 5.1m Ocean Kayak

#8 Post by AshG » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Ps and as mentioned if it gets choppy you'll get a wet arse, but hey, that's all part of kayak fishing

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#9 Post by Dodge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:25 pm

laneends wrote: I would go the two XLs. If it gets blowy and lumpy you wont appreciate how much harder work it will be for her, and less safe. Contrary to perception longer is much easier to paddle and far more stable regardless of being narrow.
Agree with laneends comment, at home have choice of 2.7m, or 4.01m yaks and the small one very rarely goes on the water thinking back probably 3 years since it last got wet.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Joshin
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by Joshin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:07 pm

So we ended up getting 2 x Terrapin XLs, i got the orange and yellow, girlfriend got the green white and blue. Waiting for hers to arrive from the warehouse, took mine for a cheeky paddle this morning in Jacobs well @ Cabbage tree point.

Im buggered, and couldnt quite get the hang of the adjustments with the rudder, but was good fun :P

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”