ok Stealth or hobie...yes still :)

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

ok Stealth or hobie...yes still :)

Postby mobynick » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:42 am

Alright so I'm still torn as to a stealth or a Hobie. The stealth looks like the clear winner but I have one more issue that I'd like the Hobie owners to hone in on...comfort. If I'm bobbing along in the middle of Bass Straight, paddling my lungs out I'm going to be sore at the end of the day. I used to get either a sore bum or at least numb bum and legs fishing for 3 hours or so.

I'm guessing that when you are using your legs this would alleviate the numbness since blood is being circulated better???

Fitness aside can you cover more ground peddling verses paddling? If it all hits the weather fan what will see me on the beach quicker?

I'm thinking a second hand outback might be the go....???? Also I'm a bit rough, how delicate are glass yaks will they take the odd knock?

Thanks all
mobynick
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure Island

Re: ok Stealth or hobie...yes still :)

Postby tommo1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Glass yaks are tough and easily fixable should you drop them from your car roof onto concrete
Don't go dragging them across rock and oyster patches.

When you paddle you should be using your legs as well. The power for your paddle stroke comes from your leg on the same side so you should have blood pumping through your legs anyway.
Stealths are (imo) the most comfortable yak I've ever paddled and even after 8hours I'm tired but my bum is/legs don't feel numb

Stealth to me remains the winner

Cheers
Tommo
tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs harbour

Postby pazz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:41 pm

If you are heading down the second hand Hobie road I would strongly recommend getting one with the new seat.
I had a 2010 outback (old seat) and now have a 2015 revo with the new seat. The ability to change the angle of the seat back is a big plus for me as, as well as a much dryer ride as you are not sitting in a pool of water.
Good luck
Cheers
Pazz
pazz
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

Postby laneends » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:29 pm

The standard seat on the older hobies is a bit basic if you are sensitive to getting sore bum. I have rubber mat thing under mine that solves that issue. Some folks can get a sore back in hobie seat in the lumbar area. I added a cheap $6 lumber support to my very early seat that makes it good. But without it, crippling.

Agree the current models with the vantage seats are a huge improvement

Something like an adventure/revo 16 will excel into headwind and chop, The stealths etc will depend a lot on paddling skills.

peddling seems to be a more subconcious action so you tend to naturally cruise around a bit. If you watch hobies on the water they will tend to move around more than the paddle and anchor brigade.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby pdfarrell » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:50 pm

I'd have both (if I was allowed) :sad1:

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby ShortyK » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:20 pm

tommo1 wrote:Glass yaks are tough and easily fixable should you drop them from your car roof onto concrete

Cheers
Tommo

Yep, have done this. Dropped onto driveway while unloading a got a couple of small cracks in the fish hatch inside. Needed some glass work to fix it but Dennis T sorted me out quickly and cheaply.

BTW I have both and the stealth is more comfortable and the best for offshore fishing. But will always use my Hobie for the estrauries.
PB's from Yak:
Flathead 59cm, Bream 35cm,
Tailor 25cm, Moses Perch 28cm,
Wild Bass 40cm, Travelly 27cm,
Whiting 33cm, Eaustry Cod 28cm,
Snapper 51cm, Impoundment Bass 40cm
Reef shark about 2m, Spangeld Emperor 28cm
Longtail Tuna 118cm, Spanish Mackerel 117cm
Wild Yellow belly 37cm.

There is nothing more relaxing than a day on the water in a Kayak.
ShortyK
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere from Sunshine to the Gold Coast and Brisbane
Kayaks: Not enough.....

Postby sharknett » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 pm

It really comes down to what you intend to do most of in the yak. Assuming no physical limitations, if you are mostly open water go glass. If mostly bays and rivers probably the Hobie.
From a fitness perspective - spend enough time on the yak, watch your technique and your body will adapt. Plenty of glass owners with mild lower back issues who are fine once they get their posture right.
I have a 2010 adventure and while it is fast enough, it is no match for well paddled glass. Yes I still get a numb bum with the original seat. I tried putting extra padding underneath but the lugs no longer stay in place so kept slipping forward. I now have a thicker after market seat and am much happier on long trips. Have not tried the newer seats but never heard a bad report.
As suggested by pdfarrell - one of each would be the best solution given the choice.
sharknett
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure

Postby pavo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:08 pm

tommo1 wrote:Glass yaks are tough and easily fixable should you drop them from your car roof onto concrete
Don't go dragging them across rock and oyster patches.

When you paddle you should be using your legs as well. The power for your paddle stroke comes from your leg on the same side so you should have blood pumping through your legs anyway.
Stealths are (imo) the most comfortable yak I've ever paddled and even after 8hours I'm tired but my bum is/legs don't feel numb

Stealth to me remains the winner

Cheers
Tommo

X2 some may laugh but the seat in my fisha 500 is far more comfortable on a long paddle than my PA 14 ever was.
pavo
KFDU 3000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

Return to Which Kayak For Me