My First Yak advice

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
NathanG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: OK prowler 4.7( traded) Now Hobie PA 14

Re: My First Yak advice

#31 Post by NathanG » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:44 pm

update kayaks in stock at the warehouse can drive down and pick it up or wait for it to be delivered to local dealer.

seen some pics of the 2016 update looks good
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#32 Post by NathanG » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Picked my yak up this arvo
And picking a Cuda 14 up Tommorow for me Dad

pics to come
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#33 Post by NathanG » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:28 am

My yak when it was unpacked and put together

My yak next to my dads Cuda 14 i just picked up

Packed away i dedicated fishing room just need some wall hangers

will post more as mods happen
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#34 Post by NathanG » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:00 pm

took the yak out last weekend
it paddles nice but weight capacity is way over rated deposit was paid on a 280 kg kayak when bought it had been changed to a 180 kg kayak wich would of been fine but is closer to 160 and where i bought it from has since changed the advert to 160kg so im a bit pissed there as im gonna have to upgrade alot sooner ( as soon as i have cash) to a better kayak as i i weigh a solid 120+
the seat is comfy but to high so its unstable at rest especially with me bein so close to the weight limit normal seat would make it a heap stabler for some one lighter or more confident.
i love the center hatch can fit so much in there.
Over all would of been a fantastic kayak if the weight capacity was correct.

will probbly move it on if i can find a nice secondhand kayak.
till then gonna use My Dads Cuda
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Seeker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: gold coast

#35 Post by Seeker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:36 am

the weight ratings are understated. Roto moulded kayaks can take a hell of a lot more than the stated weight. And 40kgs is a lot of gear, when you have your rods,tackle,milk crate etc etc , its bulky but i dont think it would add up to 40kgs.
As long as when the yak is loaded and your on it and feel stable then i wouldnt worry too much about the load rating. Any increase in that rating usually comes from making the yak wider with a less paddle friendly hull design which isnt a problem on short trips but if you are planning to do any distance or go out to open water then you will notice it.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#36 Post by laneends » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:22 am

You may find it feels different to your dads yak, and so feels underrated and tippy. Weight carrying capacity is related to enclosed volume, which means as the capacity goes up, it becomes less sleek, less deck space, and more barge like. Yaks like hobie quests and even revo 16 are only rated at 160kg. Ratings are pretty nominal

You are probably right about that seat, it takes a well engineered product to lower the seat well sufficiently in order to fit stretcher seats in. Hence the price of jacksons and hobies. A hobie seat itself costs more than many basics yaks. A yak that is designed ground up for a stretcher seat is designed with more primary stability built in to compensate.

Can you fit a regular seat in that? Have you tried paddling it with no seat to see how much the raised seat actually affects its balance.

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#37 Post by NathanG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:42 am

im worried because of how much water it has on the deck when sitting at rest the centre console is fairly heigh and the water level sits about a cm under the seal so theres a good 2-3 inches of water in the yak when at rest
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#38 Post by laneends » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 pm

That sounds odd, often get some in the footwells on certain yaks, shouldn't be that flooded

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

#39 Post by Jamie D » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

NathanG wrote:im worried because of how much water it has on the deck when sitting at rest the centre console is fairly heigh and the water level sits about a cm under the seal so theres a good 2-3 inches of water in the yak when at rest
I wonder if it's one of two things

1 . A crack somewhere in the hull , a scupper or something where a seal somewhere has popper out , or

2. It's the design of the hull combined with the fact that it has a deck chair style putting two much weight down on one spot in the kayak and the water is pouring in through the scupper holes in the seating area to an excessive degree

Not familiar with the hull , and being a largely unknown brand the feedback from owners out there will be limited .

Hope you get it all sorted soon Nathan I know by the thread you put a lot of time into your purchase , good luck and

Tight lines

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#40 Post by NathanG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:38 pm

laneends wrote:That sounds odd, often get some in the footwells on certain yaks, shouldn't be that flooded
thats wat i thought way to much water in the yak
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#41 Post by laneends » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:25 pm

The design looks a bit thin around the front hatch area. Lack of volume there may be why the capacity is low. It could affect ability to ride over waves too being short on forward bouyancy. Prowlers have a fair bit of "meat" there and so ride over waves well

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#42 Post by NathanG » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:16 am

Jamie D wrote:
NathanG wrote:im worried because of how much water it has on the deck when sitting at rest the centre console is fairly heigh and the water level sits about a cm under the seal so theres a good 2-3 inches of water in the yak when at rest
I wonder if it's one of two things

1 . A crack somewhere in the hull , a scupper or something where a seal somewhere has popper out , or

2. It's the design of the hull combined with the fact that it has a deck chair style putting two much weight down on one spot in the kayak and the water is pouring in through the scupper holes in the seating area to an excessive degree

Not familiar with the hull , and being a largely unknown brand the feedback from owners out there will be limited .

Hope you get it all sorted soon Nathan I know by the thread you put a lot of time into your purchase , good luck and

Tight lines
its ment to be a copy of the prowler ultra 4.3 hull.

iv contacted the manufacturer because its just not performing as they advertised ( not up to par with wat they advertised weight wise wich has since changed on there page since bought mine) mite have been cheap but $1000 on somthing that dosnt perform is still alot of money iv seen videos of ppl standing up in the prowler ultra 4.3 theres no way you could do that in this.

looks to sit very low aswell or is this normal

see wat happpens
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#43 Post by arpie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Ask for a refund & use the $$ on something more suitable to your requirements.

That's why I ALWAYS recommend people take a yak out on the water to test drive it before you buy it!

Did you actually ASK for a refund when you spoke to the manufacturer? Asking them about it isn't the same as complaining about it & telling them you are not happy with it & want a refund. They sold it to you with false information (that just kept changing) - so you have every right to get a full refund. I hope you haven't spent too much money on adding bits to it! :?:

Good luck! Rule No 1 - you MUST be safe on the water - and being that low in the water doesn't give you any real margin for error ie when leaning over, safety in big swell or if a boat goes past you, chucking up a big wake!

Not many people's first yak is 'the final one'! I had 3 before I got to my current one in 2007 (it's been upgraded a couple of times since to newer models tho!)...... my Hobie Sport!! (And I had an Outback before THAT but it was just too long & heavy for me to handle as easily as the Sport!!)

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#44 Post by NathanG » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 pm

i have requested a refund havent installed any bits on it yet there sitting in a pile in my fishing room
i was keen on a prowler everything iv read on them and reviews all lead to its a great all round fishing yak stable and fast.
that why i was so excited about this one shame its not suited hopefully there willing to give my money back and i can save a bit more.
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Dreadfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: wellington
Kayaks: Stealth EVO 495, OK Prowler Elite 4.5, OK Scupper Pro

#45 Post by Dreadfish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 am

as above its pretty important to try before you buy. saying that i have found that the feeling of instability is pretty normal on a new kayak. its just you are not used to it. over a period of time you will get used to it and it wont feel so tippy.
BUT. looking at your pics the yak sits down at the front compared to a prowler. i suspect that yours would go through a wave rather than ride over it and it wouldnt need to be a very big wave. ive had my prowler elite for going on 9 years now and i love it. im also at around 120-130 kg and its fine for me stable, good speed and has a good amount of capacity. a newer prowler with the centre pod has a lot more accessable storage. there should be a few around second hand that are a good price as people upgrade.
I have recently added a stealth to my lineup but for a different purpose to my prowler and i found it initially weird to paddle compared to the prowler but after a few times its all good

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”