Is the Jackson Kraken any good?

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

Is the Jackson Kraken any good?

Postby canaryfisher » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:50 pm

What's people's thoughts on Jackson Kraken 15.5. I like the look of it, looks like a nice offshore kayak, a lil heavy at 32kg but it's same weight as any hobie and pretty close to same weight as a stealth evo and a viking profish reload.
I was looking at getting a stealth kayak for offshore but on Wednesday it made me second think. As I was putting my kayak onto my car and the wind blew pretty gusty and it blew my kayak off as I was sliding it up and smashed onto the cement "2m drop" or however high my car is.. A very loud thud.. now its poly plastic so it didn't do much but if it was a stealth that's glass it would I would think crack the hull.
This is the third time my kayak has blown off by a strong wind with no damage but yea I'm scared to think what would happen if it was a fibreglass kayak.

But anyway my main point is any got a Kraken 15.5 the new version and if so what do you think of it.

I like the seat and from the video's I seen on youtube it looks pretty nice through surf and stable in rough seas even with that seat.
But would love to get some reviews of it or input.

My main thing I like is the hatch just like the stealth kayaks centre hatch so that you can put fish in and rods, the other is in the back of the kraken you can get a box that can tighten down
onto tracks then you can put plano boxes into the box and lock it.. Which allows to have your lures, hooks..etc in that instead of the main hatch..
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

Re: Is the Jackson Kraken any good?

Postby beachrod » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:36 pm

I believe they are very good,big payload and very stable.Do a search of the overseas kayak websites.
There are plenty of info there.
Glenn (Fishinyak)
Fishinyak on YouTube.
beachrod
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sydney,central coast,illawarra
Kayaks: rtm key largo & Eco bass yak.

Postby canaryfisher » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:13 pm

hmm yea I been looking. Spoke to the NZ jackson team they said the only con with the 15.5 kraken is the weight they think.
But I got a hobie that is the same weight as that kayak unrigged so weight wise it's nothing new.
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Postby FishnDive » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Have you got a loading device? rack n roll or similar?
That way you could still get your stealth and have less chance of it blowing off in a gust of wind.

Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack
FishnDive
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

Postby unsinkable 2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:20 am

It looks as though you've got the priorities straight- gear storage for surf transit, actual surfability and general paddling speed and seaworthiness being up there.
looking at the specs it looks like a decent sort of plastic offshore yak in terms of features (big hatch for rods/gear/fish being first and foremost).
Will be a considerable amount slower than a stealth simply due to the extra 10-15cm of width. That could sting a bit in the long run, especially for surfability, distance, and paddling in areas of heavy current- glass wins here. More primary stability though if that's your thing.

Now the obligatory stealth plug from a happy stealth owner: I would go a stealth of some sort for the speed alone, and the weight reduction between one of the lighter versions and the kraken is a bonus. I can say that I couldn't see my 525 breaking (badly enough to persuade me from buying it), even with a fall from the car. Plus being fibreglass they're not bad to repair if they do take a big hit of some sort.
Other option is to keep an eye out on gumtree and the like for a cheap eric's tunny or stealth supalite- they can be sub $1000 kayaks if you look around, although I believe the tunny has fixed foot pedals so sizing could be an issue.
Test paddle one if you can of course and good luck with the purchase
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby laneends » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:00 am

I am not a believer in being a guinea pig, and i ask the question, these have been out a while now yet I still haven't heard of anyone who owns one. Even the coosa and cuda are thin on the ground. So what is causing the hesitation in folks pulling the trigger on them, as they look the goods and the marketing is there.

Jackson as a brand is simply not catching on in Aus for fishing kayaks.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby NathanG » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:58 pm

My mate who got me into kayak fishing has a Cuda 14 and loves it I would of got one myself apart from the price tag wich I think puts alot of ppl off.
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm
NathanG
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: OK prowler 4.7( traded) Now Hobie PA 14

Postby PaddleMad » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:56 pm

It might be worth waiting for the Feel Free Dagon. It has just been released and is designed purely for off shore work.
PaddleMad
KFDU Angler

Postby canaryfisher » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:34 pm

PaddleMad wrote:It might be worth waiting for the Feel Free Dagon. It has just been released and is designed purely for off shore work.

I got a revo 13 which is prob 10x better then a feel free yak but thanks anyway.. I was more into the design of jackson kraken as its a bit cheaper then the stealth kayaks
and yet they still have the same fish/rod hatch which is what I liked, plus the other thing is its plastic which is a little easier to mod then a fibreglass one.
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Return to Which Kayak For Me