Tarpon 140

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
Neumo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane area fresh and salt
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, WS Aspire 105

Tarpon 140

#1 Post by Neumo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi all,
Have been a member for a while and have been content just reading all the great info available on everyone's posts.
I have been fishing in my viking tempo for a while now but and it has been great but I want something with some more speed.
I fish around wello and Cleveland point but want to travel further and do a bit of offshore as well as the dams.
So I am after a quick alrounder.
I like the tarpon 140.
Does anyone have any info about these yaks for the areas I fish.
Cheers

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Tarpon 140

#2 Post by Dodge » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:20 am

A tarpon would be great for your needs mate, they are great yaks.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

mouse
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SEQ

#3 Post by mouse » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:57 am

Welcome Neumo,
As Dodge said " the Tarpons are a great all round yak", but if your planning on mainly offshore I would look at a fibreglass option like a Stealth. I don't yak offshore (only boat) but numerous members do, Stealth is the preferred option.
Shortyk has one for sale in the classified section.

All the best with your purchase :wink:
Cheers,
Kym

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#4 Post by XDCammer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:34 pm

I agree with Mouse. I have a 525 Profisha and it smashes any other single hull I've tried. It just glides beautifully and is a dream to paddle, cuts through chop and easy for surf launches/retrievals. Just got to watch the rudder coming in to avoid damage in the shallows.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Neumo
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Neumo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks heaps for your comments.
Sounds like they are a well liked yak.
I have been thinking about a glass yak like a stealth also but figured I would knock it around too much in the fresh and near rocks etc when I launch in my usual haunts. So I was gonna stick with a plastic.
Hopefully I will be happy with the speed of the Tarpon.
Cheers guys.

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

#6 Post by Jamie D » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Neumo wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks heaps for your comments.
Sounds like they are a well liked yak.
I have been thinking about a glass yak like a stealth also but figured I would knock it around too much in the fresh and near rocks etc when I launch in my usual haunts. So I was gonna stick with a plastic.
Hopefully I will be happy with the speed of the Tarpon.
Cheers guys.
Mate if keen on plastic , I'd be flagging the tarpon altogether and looking at something like the ocean kayak prowler ultra 4.3 , which I owned before I swapped to glass , they are weapons and more fishing focussed than the tarpons , even a Viking reload could be an option , they both have transducer ready fittings to install a fish finder . The tarpon has been described by those who sell them as a paddlers boat that is also a fishing kayak where as the other two yaks are first and foremost fishing yaks that are also good to paddle if that makes any sense .

I have not paddled a Viking reload so have no comment , but the prowler ultra 4.3 I can attest is an absolute beast , great is sloppy waves , fast , and good through the surf to . I would be seriously considering putting those two yaks on your shopping list .

NathanG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: OK prowler 4.7( traded) Now Hobie PA 14

#7 Post by NathanG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:32 pm

seconds the prowler or if want somthing simmler to the stelth layout look at a jackson kranken 15.5
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Neumo
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by Neumo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Cheers
Sounds like more homework for me
Seems there are quite a few good options out there
Cant wait to find the right one
Yakless at the moment so cant wait to get on the water again
Thanks

Ftp
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Fig tree pocket
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT, Viking Reload, Viking Espri

#9 Post by Ftp » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:52 am

Neumo wrote:Cheers
Sounds like more homework for me
Seems there are quite a few good options out there
Cant wait to find the right one
Yakless at the moment so cant wait to get on the water again
Thanks
I can take you out on a Reload for a test paddle if you want to? Which ever kayak you end up with, the offshore section of KFDU has the best info for offshore fishing around

Neumo
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by Neumo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi Ftp
I have been meaning to get out for a test paddle for a while but not had enough time as yet.
Keen to try a reload.
I will try and organise a paddle when things are less hectic.
Cheers

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

#11 Post by Snapperpaddy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:46 am

I've owned a tarpon 120 for the past three years and fished offshore for the past 3 yrs, caught plenty of mackerel long tail and snapper. It has also been good in the fresh and dragged over plenty of granite rocks in the nymboida river. Having the rod holders fitted in front of you has been useful as seeing a mackerel take is great fun and depending on drift angles it is an advantage to move your gear around to suit. Big hatches for camping trips are also an advantage as the river trips are often over night affairs so good all rounder So a 140 would be even better for offshore. Down side is that front hatch is not always water proof, I think. The newer seats are a better design whereas my seat at the adjustable clicker has rusted out twice, they are not a quick kayak offshore but dependable, for example I nosed dived into a rock coming back from diggers and the nose of the kayak bounced back like Ali and is still going. So I have nearly worn mine out with rough treatment and it is soon to be retired for when I have visitors or friends can be talked into coming offshore etc Another plus is that if u are determined to get a Tarpon and if u are have time to look around for a 2nd hand version gum tree and the forum often have great deals posted
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days

BrendanH
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin

#12 Post by BrendanH » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:17 am

Do those who use the 120 offshore find it a little short? Also, how essential is the rudder kit for mixed (Offshore, inshore and dams.)

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

#13 Post by Snapperpaddy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Yeh It is a little short, the reason why I choose the 120 was to be able to kayak for Cod, Bass and Pelagics. If I was purely chasing Pelagics longer plastics like prowler, tarpon 140 and Viking profisha or the Viking reload or moken or Widerness Thresher are the go. Currently transitioning to a 460 Stealth Fisha for longer offshore trips cause I have learned to enjoy the longer paddling for mackerel and anything else that might show an interest. I don't have a rudder on my 120 and for mine makes no difference however feedback from yakers on longer kayaks consistently say the rudder is a good option
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”