Hobie pa 14 vs ocean kayak prowler ultra 4.7 off shore work.

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
NathanG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: OK prowler 4.7( traded) Now Hobie PA 14

Hobie pa 14 vs ocean kayak prowler ultra 4.7 off shore work.

#1 Post by NathanG » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Upgrading looking at hobie pa 14 or a prowler ultra 4.7 with there huge esky pod for off shore work and diving/spear fishing.

Looking at hobie being there super stable but wat are they like off shore.

Looking at the prowler ultra 4.7 with thete huge esky pod being its a proven stable off shore fishing rig.

Wich is going to be better for diving off
Mainly for deep water re-entry and storage of gear
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Big Boots
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bath tub
Kayaks: Viking profish reload and profish gt

Re: Hobie pa 14 vs ocean kayak prowler ultra 4.7 off shore w

#2 Post by Big Boots » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am

Out of those, I'd go the prowler because it'll have better secondary stability if the weather turns bad....and I like paddling. Also add the viking profish reload and the entire stealth, clarkeski and pinnacle ranges to your possible paddle powered options.

tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs harbour

#3 Post by tommo1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:26 pm

The PA14 is NOT a offshore yak. It will be fine in flat conditions but the moment it goes south the I'd wanna be in the prowler. ( I owned one )

I'd still rather be in a Stealth

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by NathanG » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Prowler it is and some more lashes
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Dreadfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: wellington
Kayaks: Stealth EVO 495, OK Prowler Elite 4.5, OK Scupper Pro

#5 Post by Dreadfish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:29 am

pretty much the first time i went out fishing on my yak it was an horrific day. i still have the pic the other guy took of me sitting on my prowler. he was on a kaskazi dorado. we cruised down with the tail wind and it was bad. i was crapping myself. not even sure why we went out to tell the truth. on the paddle down to the fishing area which was a bit more sheltered the other guy on his dorado capsized and gear started to spread everywhere. i was ahead of him and managed to turn and get back to assist. after the fishing we headed back and the wind was up in the 40+kph range. we didnt realise it was so bad being in the shelter of the bay. took us hours to get back to the cars. anyway at no stage did i feel like i would tip off the prowler even when surfing downwind it was/is stable. ive been out a few times since then in some real bad weather... most of those have just been to play in the surf etc. one time i took my son out around the island we have in our harbour. he sat in the rear well. and off we went. got to the island and the wind started to get up, and up and up.... headed back and what was usually a 1 hr paddle turned into 3 battling the head winds. the prowler was clearing one wave and plunging into the next so i was chest deep in water every second wave. my son was laughing and yahooing having a great time.

really love my prowler :lol:

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#6 Post by laneends » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:33 am

Prowler is built for this sort of stuff. PA is a truck for carry tons of gear. One of the vic yakkers takes his PA way offshore. and has no issues, but it probably takes a lot of experience and techniques to do so. Adventure island is the pick though, but that comes at a $$. Even if only for the safety of amas keeping you afloat if there is a hull failure.

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#7 Post by Jamie D » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Dreadfish wrote:pretty much the first time i went out fishing on my yak it was an horrific day. i still have the pic the other guy took of me sitting on my prowler. he was on a kaskazi dorado. we cruised down with the tail wind and it was bad. i was crapping myself. not even sure why we went out to tell the truth. on the paddle down to the fishing area which was a bit more sheltered the other guy on his dorado capsized and gear started to spread everywhere. i was ahead of him and managed to turn and get back to assist. after the fishing we headed back and the wind was up in the 40+kph range. we didnt realise it was so bad being in the shelter of the bay. took us hours to get back to the cars. anyway at no stage did i feel like i would tip off the prowler even when surfing downwind it was/is stable. ive been out a few times since then in some real bad weather... most of those have just been to play in the surf etc. one time i took my son out around the island we have in our harbour. he sat in the rear well. and off we went. got to the island and the wind started to get up, and up and up.... headed back and what was usually a 1 hr paddle turned into 3 battling the head winds. the prowler was clearing one wave and plunging into the next so i was chest deep in water every second wave. my son was laughing and yahooing having a great time.

really love my prowler :lol:
They are the best rough water boat I have ever owned , bar none including the one I'm on by a country mile. Prowler ultra 4.3 specifically is the model I'm talking about

Jamie D

#8 Post by Jamie D » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:10 pm

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25136

That's my build thread from 2012 if that's of any use . Also rated the moken 13 angler deluxe that I bought in 2011 very underrated the moken kayaks

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by NathanG » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:41 pm

sourced me a prowler ultra 4.7 kitted out blokes gonna hold it for me for a while see if i can get the cash up in time
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

Jamie D

#10 Post by Jamie D » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:11 am

If weight capacity and ocean going ability are you core needs , the 4.7 will be a great boat , the below video was one of my favourites when I was doing research , must have watched it about a thousand times , the live bait well especially is so cool .

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#11 Post by laneends » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:26 am

As the 4.7 is a bit long and bulky for many to be an allrounder they can be found SH for relatively good prices.

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by NathanG » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:39 pm

laneends wrote:As the 4.7 is a bit long and bulky for many to be an allrounder they can be found SH for relatively good prices.
gonna cost me 1700 kitted out deliverd to tomago
i got 1100 so far blokes nice enough to hold it for me
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

NathanG
KFDU Angler

#13 Post by NathanG » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Jamie D wrote:If weight capacity and ocean going ability are you core needs , the 4.7 will be a great boat , the below video was one of my favourites when I was doing research , must have watched it about a thousand times , the live bait well especially is so cool .
ill be buying his dvds once iv got the yak
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#14 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:51 pm

PA14 is NOT an offshore yak
Glass yaks are the go.
But the Ocean Kayak Prowler will defintely do the job.
I spearfish/ dive off my yak ( Outback) in coastal / inshorw conditions it does the job, but a longer sleeker yak would be better.

Good luck with your choice

Bones

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”