My first yak - need all the advice i can get!

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
samwisegaygee
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: wollongong

My first yak - need all the advice i can get!

#1 Post by samwisegaygee » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:19 am

Hi Guys,

Basic blurb about me: I have never kayaked before, I love fishing, I’m a chick and you would probably call me inexperienced; as I’ve pretty much learnt myself what works and what doesn’t. My usual fishing is down at my local beach, off rock walls, piers and sometimes in lakes/rivers. I usually use bait however have been trying to get into the plastics because people seem to swear by them. I recently relocated down the south coast, near Wollongong however love camping so would be taking my Yak with me on adventures.

Can I please get some advice on what Yak I should be investing in? I spent yesterday trawling through topics trying to work out what’s best for be from pre-existing posts but I found I was still unsure. Basically from what I have read on here people advise to buy second hand Yaks if budget is an issue and to avoid going for the cheaper Yaks that are made by the Chinese, saying its better off to pay the extra money upfront at the beginning because the difference in quality is quite noticeable. Which has led me to my dilemma. My partner bought me a $300 BCF voucher for my birthday to go towards my Yak however many of the brands BCF sells in the lower price range, I have read aren’t great. People have suggested brands such as Vikings, freaks, Malibu etc. I am happy to spend the voucher on a new rod and some roof racks if I am indeed better off buying a second hand Yak. My budget was originally $500 ... Which seems to be increasing by the minute, haha :lol:

In peoples opinion what are the best branded Yaks to buy? I’m imagining that I would want to fish in outlets, protected bays at beaches, lakes, rivers. I have been looking at a second hand Malibu stealth 12 with a rudder (don’t particularly want a rudder, but whatevs) which is already at least $400 more than I wanted to spend and I still need to buy some gear. I went onto the Malibu website and like all the extras on this Yak, the amount of storage it has, the fact you can stand up in it if you want and can fit a small child/dog on board.

Any advice would be appreciated, hopefully I have given enough info to give you an idea of the best yak for me. Thanks in advance, Sam.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Re: My first yak - need all the advice i can get!

#2 Post by laneends » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:01 am

Size matters, 12 foot is a minimum, 13 foot is often regarded as best all rounder. Longer gets unweildy if you dont have a need for it. What you intend using it for and what you end up using it for are two different things. So an all rounder is your best bet. A shorter yak will restrict you to very sheltered water, and be a safety risk in blowy or rough conditions. The cheaper ebay type yaks are just heavier for size than brand names. The construction quality is not generally that bad. Any of the 3.6m+ plus ones will do the job if you wanted a new one, given brand yaks are $1000+ bare bones. If you can get a SH complete with a sturdy trolley thats a bonus. Cheap trolleys are exactly that, dragging a loaded yak back up the track with a busted or wonky trolley does wonders for the vocabulary, especially if you are not Mr Universe.

Dont worry about standing up few do it, and its not for beginners, especially on lower end yaks.

Best thing about second hand yaks is you can learn, and upgrade with less $$ risk, even if you decide its not for you and give it up. They often come with things to get you going which will also reduce the $$ you throw at it up front, which will often turn out to be not what you should have bought.

Use your BCF voucher for a sounder, this soon becomes your must have and opens up anew world, and that will cover the cost of a good basic unit.

samwisegaygee
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by samwisegaygee » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks for responding, I have found your advise super helpful and have already started looking into sounders at BCF.

I'm thinking of buying a Malibu stealth 12 for $850 and am wondering what you think of this Yak and price? It has the size that you've recommended and it comes with a Lowrance suited, easy install, transducer mount molded in; and BCF sell this brand.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by laneends » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:00 pm

samwisegaygee wrote:Thanks for responding, I have found your advise super helpful and have already started looking into sounders at BCF.

I'm thinking of buying a Malibu stealth 12 for $850 and am wondering what you think of this Yak and price? It has the size that you've recommended and it comes with a Lowrance suited, easy install, transducer mount molded in; and BCF sell this brand.
Is thats a second hand model you are thinking about?, if so what does it come with?

Malibus are generally well made kayaks. I think the older models had some leakage issues around the side hatches in rough weather. Do a forum, and google, search for users reviews (I guess you have already done that though)

Lowrance hook4x (x=non gps model) is popular sounder in your price range $245, add $20-30 for a 7.2 mah battery , to run wire into hull use a hobie thru hull wiring kithobie thru hull wiring kit, and then you can attach transducer to bottom of hull with selleys all clear. Solder all wiring and use these plugs to connect to battery. battery can be in a dry bag leash inside somewhere accessible. use a proper battery charger for these rather than a car charger..lots of other ways to do it, but thats one option

Azzah
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra

#5 Post by Azzah » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:41 pm

It will pay for you to think about how you are going to handle and store it too. The 12 foot kayaks weigh close to 30kg. Malibu kayaks are well made, I've got a pair of Sierras and they have been faultless. Make sure you budget for the roof racks and cradles etc. to suit, handling the yak back on to car after a few hours fishing is the hardest part to start with

Edstar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

#6 Post by Edstar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:14 pm

For a general all round I would be looking something around the 14 foot(4m) approx. length = speed. Speed = distance. I've never heard of a kayaker complain about their yak being too fast :lol: width 70cm to 80cm approx. wide is stable but slow go skinner if u can coz with a bit a practice it's very unlike of goin for a swimming anyways. Look on gumtree for some older sit on models (scupper pro, perception swing, Viking pro fish etc.) sometimes I've seen them go really cheap $300.

What to look out for is a rudder. I prefer using one and its a hard diy. Other fishing mods rod holder, anchor, anchor trolley, hatches, trolley are all pretty easy a cheap diy.
Get a kayak seat possibly one with some rod holders on it $50 eBay.
A milk crate.
Get a decent paddle, mid range fibreglass is a good start
For a fish finder I would look at Garmin striker 4. Rrp $200 but bfc had them for $150 last month. It also has gps(no maps)

If u buy 2nd all round at a good price to start u can always resell and upgrade next yr with very little depreciation.

Happy shopping, edstar.

samwisegaygee
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by samwisegaygee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. I started another topic thread but it hasn't had any responses yet :lol: I am currently tossing up between a few second hand yaks...

The Malibu is being sold for $850 with paddle, rod holders and "home made wheels", comes with a rudder and is being sold locally, however i cant get the guy selling to budge on price.

The viking is being sold for $650 (negotiable) is a few years old, hardly ever used comes with 2 rod holders, strap in seat with backrest, paddle and board mate transport trolley which is about a 2.5hr drive from me

I have also recently found a 4.2m malibu x-13 being sold for $600 (negotiable) which comes with paddle, padded seat with back support and trolley however that's a 3 hr drive away

Pro elite 4.5 with a High back seat with pouch and rod holders, rudder, Lowrance colour sounder, 12 v battery, trolley, 27Litre ice box which fits perfectly in the back, drift chute, carlise paddle with leash, 1.5 sqm pacfic action sail- used twice (red, yellow, clear- not shown in photos) 2 x rod leashes Scotty adjustable rod holder up front for $1200 ono - Only 1 hr away from me

Do you think any of these are good deals? or should I wait to see if one comes up cheaper? I haven't been looking for very long so am unsure for how cheap I can actually pick one up for.

Cheers, Sam

Edstar
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by Edstar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:44 pm

I'm not a expert on ur suggested yaks but the prices seem normal. So not cheap. Are u in a hurry coz if u wait I'm sure u'll find cheaper. I only mention this coz wasn't ur original budget $500. :lek: you've almost doubled that and u still gotta buy extras like roof racks etc.

A word of advice. Extras like sails on yaks seem like a bit of fun but not necessary. I had a sail... I used it twice. My thought is we buy yaks to paddle not sail. (Or Pedal) :lol:

That been said all those yaks are probably better than my first. So I'm sure it would be good. Edstar

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#9 Post by laneends » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:46 am

samwisegaygee wrote:Thanks for the advice. I started another topic thread but it hasn't had any responses yet :lol: I am currently tossing up between a few second hand yaks...

The Malibu is being sold for $850 with paddle, rod holders and "home made wheels", comes with a rudder and is being sold locally, however i cant get the guy selling to budge on price.

The viking is being sold for $650 (negotiable) is a few years old, hardly ever used comes with 2 rod holders, strap in seat with backrest, paddle and board mate transport trolley which is about a 2.5hr drive from me

I have also recently found a 4.2m malibu x-13 being sold for $600 (negotiable) which comes with paddle, padded seat with back support and trolley however that's a 3 hr drive away

Pro elite 4.5 with a High back seat with pouch and rod holders, rudder, Lowrance colour sounder, 12 v battery, trolley, 27Litre ice box which fits perfectly in the back, drift chute, carlise paddle with leash, 1.5 sqm pacfic action sail- used twice (red, yellow, clear- not shown in photos) 2 x rod leashes Scotty adjustable rod holder up front for $1200 ono - Only 1 hr away from me

Do you think any of these are good deals? or should I wait to see if one comes up cheaper? I haven't been looking for very long so am unsure for how cheap I can actually pick one up for.

Cheers, Sam
Prowler 4.5 is about as good a paddle yak as you can get.Stable, fast and good in rough weather and surf. At 4.5m it could be a handful for you off water. Agree with sails being novelty for most people, but you can on sell them. Difference between old prowlers and newer models is in the storage consoles, or lack of.

Better to get the right one, than one that was cheap for a good reason

samwisegaygee
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by samwisegaygee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 am

Everyone has such valid points, every time i feel like I've made a decision about what im doing I change :lek:

I am very aware that no matter what Yak i get, I am going to need assistance getting it on and off my roof. I have already discussed this with my partner who has agreed that they will assist me every time i go out :lol:
I have a bung right shoulder (tore my rotation cuff muscle and injured my AC joint- still healing) and am aware that i don't have the physical strength most guys have and that my shoulder is very weak atm.

That pro elite 4.5 I can get get for $900 with all the extras and I am going to inspect it this weekend. I know my price has nearly doubled but I would prefer to invest in something that will last, I will be able to re-sell if not for me and comes already modified with nearly everything I need. Plus is super stable and will do well in the surf. Now... to measure my garage and make sure it fits.. haha

I have been doing reviews on roof racks because I don't have any.. does anyone have any experience with the portable roof racks that you attach to the top of your car? I have read heaps of reviews and from what I've seen people think they do the job well and have reported you can do 110km with them attached, only downside is that when it rains water gets into your car.. however i'm willing to live with that.

Azzah
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra

#11 Post by Azzah » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:55 am

The foam ones? They will probably dent the roof and are not very reliable. If it was me I would balance budget to allow for racks or use the BCF voucher for a set of bars and cradles if possible. As an example, I've got more money tied up in rhino racks gear to car top our kayaks on my forester than each kayak cost. It's just aero bars, a j rack and cradles but adds up quickly! Not necessary to have flash gear but it makes loading easy and I don't have a second thought about driving all day at 110. It was impossible to keep the kayaks still with the dodgy cradles I bought to start with, with one kayak you will get away with just the cross bars.

Edstar
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by Edstar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Foam roof racks are only good for small light yaks. The prowler is a big beast. It won't do.

Ur gf is gonna help u load. But after a 5hour yak will she still be there to help u reload?

This is gonna push up the budget again but with ur bung shoulder u may wanna think of a hullavator so u don't have to lift as high. Possibly a tow bar strong arm (not sure of brandname)

Budget option is a rack and roll. (Can diy)

But it all depends on what car u drive.

Edstar

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”