Thermoform

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

Thermoform

Postby Steve R » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 pm

The elbows are finally settling and I've been tossing up selling the Revo and going lightweight mostly in the estuary (but still ocean near shore if I feel in the mood). Thermoform looks like a viable option but range seems to be diminishing rather than expanding. For example, Barracuda Fish Pro seems no longer to be manufactured. The only other maker I can find is Hurricane. So, I'm after opinions on how rugged thermoform is for estuary use, including crunching on oysters and scraping along shallow sand, etc. Also whether anyone has run across specific issues about which thermoform buyers should be aware.

If there is anything out there other than Hurricane, please let me know.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: Thermoform

Postby FishnDive » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Steve there is another company making thermoforms called Delta and they had a sit on top model. Also Jackson have a thermo version of the cuda called the LT. Might be worth a look.

Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack
FishnDive
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

Postby Azzah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 am

You can get a 20kg thermoformed tarpon 120, they cost $500 more than a roto hull and come with less gear though. Seem solid
Azzah
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Canberra

Postby Steve R » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks for the models. I had seen the Delta but not the others.
Cuda LT looks to be very well kitted, comfortable and capable. I suspect it would be a great choice for many who want an all-rounder paddle craft. For me, the extra kit brings weight disadvantages. Personal need is to get kayak weight down as light as possible while maintaining good tracking/speed. Around 4 meters or more, no surplus width and as close to under 20kg as possible (impossible aim I suspect but gives a focal point).

Durability still worries me. Are there any users who want to comment about ability to take rough handling?

Manufacturer links to thermoformed models are posted below for the benefit of anyone following the thread.

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Ultralite
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/products/tarpon-120-ultralite

Unless I missed some other SOTs, Delta Cat 10.5 SOT
http://www.deltakayaks.com/delta-cat-10-5-sot/
For sit-in options, navigate to http://www.deltakayaks.com/kayaks/ and scroll to the bottom of the web page.

Jackson Kilroy LT
http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/kilroy-lt/
Jackson Cuda LT
http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/cuda-lt/
Both above also have a 'Realtree' version. I think that covers camo paint and a few other inclusions.

Hurricane Skimmer range
http://hurricaneaquasports.com/our-kayaks/

While not thermoformed (and no model seems right for me), Cobra claim they use a process that keeps the weight down in a rotomoulded kayak
Quote:
Cobra beats even domestic manufacturers by adding in design characteristics that make our kayaks the lightest in each model class.

http://www.cobrakayaks.com/product/marauder-kayak-value-pack/
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Steve R » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:35 pm

Communicating with a dealer, it seems Barracuda are still making the ultralight SOT Tourer version (without the Fish Pro fitting). I could not find anything about it on Barracuda's website. At $2795.00 they are more expensive than other Thermoforms but the price includes fitted rudder. I beleive the price includes backrest but not a padded seat.

Barracuda website search for SOT :http://www.barracudakayaks.com/?s=sot produces results that do not produce product pages.

Australian outlets
http://www.barracudakayaks.com/buy/australia/
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Marty75 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 am

There is one currently for sale on Gumtree in Ballina that looks pretty good asking $1650.

Marty
Marty75
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11, Prowler Ultra 4.3

Postby Steve R » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks. That does look to be a good buy. Sadly, Ballina is a bit out of my range.

Edit:
Image 'range' as in distance not price range
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Steve R » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:34 am

Still looking and researching. As much as I like the weight for length of the Barracuda (and apparent rocker for surf), the following review is putting me off:

http://northlandangler.co.nz/barracuda-sot-ultralight-fish-pro-review/
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Occy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Steve, even though it looks like your not to keen on the Hurricane Skimmer I can suggest you look again. I got one of the first 128's in the country and to say it's the best kayak I've owned is an understatement. I love it. Lightweight fast, stable and sexy. I have adopted the less is more philosophy of late and this yak really does press all my buttons. Good luck on the hunt.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Postby Steve R » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Occy wrote:Steve, even though it looks like your not to keen on the Hurricane Skimmer I can suggest you look again. I got one of the first 128's in the country and to say it's the best kayak I've owned is an understatement. I love it. Lightweight fast, stable and sexy. I have adopted the less is more philosophy of late and this yak really does press all my buttons. Good luck on the hunt.

Look at my list of kayaks :grin:

As a kayak, it is streets ahead of my Hobie Revo (but concede to enjoying pedaling with rod in hand over paddling to maintain position with rod in holder).

Skimmer highlights: is easy to lift and move; is surprisingly fast for length; is easy to hold its direction without rudder; does not aggravate the sore back; accesses locations along tracks not possible for me with the Revo.

No kayak solves all issues. For others contemplating the change:
- Space for gear in the cockpit. For a while the tighter fit led to prevarication about locations for rod holders gear bucket. Rod holders locations were solved with one Scotty (with extension) mounted front and center just below the logo and two Scottys behind the seat.
- I like to clip all gear on short leash. How to do this in the cockpit area of the Skimmer still has me head-scratching to a small extend but I bought some pad-eyes and cord with the aim of fitting a cord railing on each side with the aim of clipping things on with very short lead or no lead. In a roll, this should minimise tangles and loss. The 'cord rail' would also serve as an attachment point for the paddle leash (which I now attach to the front Scotty). I keep changing my mind about fitting high or low on the coaming so it hasn't happened yet.
- lack of hatches restricts access inside the hull to do up nuts for fittings (broadly, from the front of the cockpit back you can;t do it). Alternatives are rivets and well nuts. Also self-tappers, I guess. It was suggested tipping the kayak up and dropping a length of braid down so you haul a bolt through the hole and fitting and do up the nut outside. That may be feasible for some fittings (but not with my Scotty rod holder mounts so I am yet to try it).
- Anyone who relies on a FF might want to think long and hard about FF location but for me, that's not an issue. There will be no more FF. Even when I had one it was rarely switched on.

For me, the issues are very minor trade-offs to get into a far lighter kayak that suits my current needs. I would not go back to a heavy kayak.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Return to Which Kayak For Me